Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I just watched an ADGQ video of Megaman X6. That was one of the first games I owned, and--even though I still enjoy playing the game because of the PS1 MMX engine and general Stockholm Syndrome--seeing that shoddy loving game get busted right open definitely made for one of the most cathartic game videos I've seen in a while. Silly momentum shifting, multiple dash exploits, straight up invulnerability bugs... it had it all.

I found out there's a patch for X6 that's supposed to make it an easier play, but I've had a terrible time making it work, and all that post-16 bit :filez: stuff is beyond me.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I have a friend who I play artsy indie games with, and he loved stuff like Detention and (to a lesser extent) Yuppie Psycho, so we tried playing The Cat Lady together, but I think it was too slow paced and lengthy for an in-person social play through and he bounced off it.

I think I'm gonna try playing it again soon, but on my own. I loved its art-style, atmosphere, and I thought it was cool having a depressed 40-something woman as a protagonist. It gave me lit-fic novel vibes, and I was definitely intrigued by it.

Walla posted:

Also, we're accustomed to driving. An hour drive to go shopping or for dinner is normal around here

As someone in the western US, this is insanity to me. If I can't get there within a 30 minute walk or a 15 minute ride, it might as well not exist to me lol. Maybe it's a state-by-state cultural thing though. When I used to live around Sacramento, people talked about their cars like they were their second homes; it kind of wigged me out.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 14, 2021

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Motto posted:

I just follow artists and people I enjoy talking to and absolutely zero eceleb weirdos and it's fine. as a platform and company it absolutely sucks rear end but most of what gets linked here is dumbass drama from strangers that goons went out of their way to find and get reactions from

I deleted my twitter like a year ago and while it's nice I have less vapid anger from teenagers and terminally online 20-somethings in my life, I miss all the artists I used to follow. I was wondering if Tumblr is less screechingly stupid now and might be worth going back to.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

New Super Metis posted:

no one will ever have as much success at getting cheetah into an anime as i did when i showed him a random song from revue starlight

Someone told me to watch that after I talked about how much I liked Utena recently. Looking it up, it seems pretty theatrical and gay, so I get that connection, but what kind of show is it? Is it arthouse-y or something?

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 22, 2021

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Oh sick, thanks for elaborating, everybody. I'll probably check it out soon, especially if it's only 12 episodes.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I just got linked to a Tim Follin playlist and wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mmn7siswJY

Why is this snes ost a straight up YES album? I love that to bits lol

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've been watching videos of console start up noises, and I think my favorites are the PS1, the Dreamcast, and the PS2. Aesthetically, I just love pairing the idea of "high-tech" with ethereal, haunting synths.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've never heard the Saturn startup sounds before, but apparently the US and Jpn versions were different. I appreciate how extra the latter is at least, I can see that blowing people away in the 90s.

After listening to the Gamecube opening, it still doesn't crack my personal top 3, but I really appreciate how it committed to a melody instead of an atmosphere, and that last note it hits is incredibly satisfying.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

My friends and I started playing Return of The Obra Dinn about a while ago and had a great time, but we got stuck at some point, and we ended up dropping it for about a year. So last night we just got a Gamefaqs guide up and finished it, and I'm not gonna lie, I think there's a 0% chance we would have actually figured out everything, specifically knowing to use the shoes of the Chinese topmen from the numbered hammocks to discover their identities. That must have been crazy cathartic to anyone who got that legitimately though.

Also the epilogue chapter was kind of cool, and helped further inform the Captain's choice of suicide at the end, but it was kind of a let down as a Golden Ending thing imo,

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Man, reading this irl play-by-play of MGS4 just reminds me that it kinda ruled. Even though it's definitely the stupidest game in the series, the set-pieces and big moments do enough to justify it.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

Story wise, making it all about big boss was a mistake.

Yeah, Big Boss is my least favorite aspect of any Metal Gear outside of 3. I think it worked for the latter as a one-off, but he's kind of a boring character beyond that imo. I feel like a lot of the sections that focus on him in the later MGS games just kind of repeated what 3 was about, and didn't really add much to his character or the general themes of the series.

I also think Solid Snake's supporting cast does a better job of having a variety of personalities and paths of life that interact with the series' war economy, cyberpunk nonsense, and I personally find that more rewarding as a player. That being said, I admit I haven't involved myself in a lot of the codecs and extra stuff of the portable games and V as much as I did in the other entries.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Virtua Tennis slapped as far as arcadey sport games go