Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

March games thread title is taking a month off while we prepare a really good one for April Fools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Wario would never have let this happen

https://twitter.com/shrimpJAJ/status/1366170100588404737

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

wuggles posted:

the fact that some regular primes fail to be Gaussian primes is not surprising but it is an example of what I like to call a "gently caress you math fact"

I don't think I ever got that power up in Halo

also if anyone is playing Minecraft for more than sixteen minutes per week you should just record the footage and upload it to youtube and make a free 300,000$ because every middle schooler on earth WILL watch your video

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

haveblue posted:

What are games if not numbers turning into other numbers

that scene from the Matrix where they're staring at the code scrolling on the screen but it's four people grouped around with gamecube controllers screaming

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I liked the first third of Endgame where everyone was just cripplingly depressed and there were almost no jokes. The other two Avengers movies (the first one and then the one with Ultron, I didn't actually watch Infinity War) were boring and the same movie but I really like how there's two tiers of Avengers - the ones who do stuff and the ones who don't do anything. Thor and Iron Man and Hulk are killing billions of enemies and cutting holes in spaceships and then you go to the ground level and Black Widow has a gun and shoots two enemies before deciding to just stop worrying about killing things and goes to fix a power line or something, and then Captain America has to punch one guy at a time and if they gang up on him he needs help

Otherwise I haven't seen a Marvel Movie since Iron Man 1 which was okay

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I totally forgot Redbox existed and has video games. I think that's where I first played Dark Souls over Thanksgiving break back in college? That would be a convenient way to play Ryza because I could never ever justify buying an Atelier game for the full 60

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

homeless snail posted:

on the one hand you need 8000 more twitter followers to qualify for the next big race in three turns, on the other hand theres a secret event waiting for you in the swimming pool right now

what do you do huh smart guy? your horse girls life is on the line

WHAT'S IN THE MYSTERY POOL

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Barudak posted:

Im genuinely impressed that you made the game somehow look worse by showing more of it.

But enough about Paper Mario

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The FFX/FF13 talk was like 15 hours ago but I want to chime in that despite the fact that I HATE a lot about FFX, I think the setting is one of the best parts and they do a very good job of trying to visually and contextually distinguish some kind of geography. I could tell you exactly in what order the zones take place in because the game always does a good job of connecting all of the levels visually. Like, even when specific zones are pretty different, like when Macalania Woods, a thick forest, opens up into whatever the ice zone is called, there's like a full screen of the trees slowly dying out and the path icing over, which is more work than most games do. That being said, the parts where it does a bad job stand out that much more - after the scene where you get Shiva and you fall "under the ice" but you're not underwater I have no idea what's going on there, and then you get magically teleported to Home while Yuna gets teleported somewhere completely different that is a million miles away.

FF13 doesn't work on explaining what the places you're in are actually for and how they relate to each other and so every single transition from one zone to another is your characters jumping on a train or a plane or a flying mech or something and teleporting between setpieces. It doesn't feel like a fleshed-out world where the devs thought about, or even cared, how these places existed with regards to geography or how the people in-fiction would have gotten to and from each of these places and is just a series of disconnected interiors, meanwhile FFX takes place almost entirely on a road where you're constantly meeting other people who are also traveling from town-to-town.

I will say though that there would be ways to make FFX less linear while still being a pilgrimage. Even in-fiction there are multiple routes you could take to complete it, with the main party starting in Besaid but Yuna's dad started in Bevelle, with Besaid I think being one of the last places they visited (at least this is the fiction the game presents, if they retconned this in the ultimania or something that everyone takes the same route then that's dumb but possible)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Rarity posted:

Bombchu Bowling had Din's Fire and the Boomerang :stare:

I appreciate the writer trickery in X of 'how do we move our characters to the next plot point? gently caress it let's just make Sin move them through monster magic'

My favorite writer's lazy plot point is inventing the whole "being around Sin makes you confused" and that excuse only exists for Tidus and you never see it happen to a single person

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

"Boss, we're running low on water. If we don't secure more soon, people are going to start dying. Please, consider cutting down on the petting zoo"

"Absolutely not"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

At that point why even play a new server if the one server is already endgame and you're just going to bring all the endgame stuff over to the new one. Just keep playing the endgame server?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

[looking at a rock with a smilie face drawn on it]

"this is absolutely disgusting"

[goes back to my truck so I can haul seven hundred gallons of battery acid to the nearest lake]

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PantsBandit posted:

Multiple things can be bad.

I frankly can't believe there's even two sides to this issue lol.

Do you think we are arguing in favor of littering/polluting or do you not understand that we are pointing out that it's silly to get outraged at something so unimportant when you look at it in any sort of larger perspective

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PantsBandit posted:

You guys are absolutely right, we should lean into "humanity ruins everything" and make it so you literally can't go anywhere without being reminded that Big DeeLo totally owns this cliff-face.

No, YOU'RE right, the next time I see someone litter I'm going to ram them with my Ford F250 with a smokestack on it

See I can do it too, it's really easy

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Relax Or DIE posted:

those hooligans defaced my off-white strip mall and should be put to death!!!!

cops arresting me in the middle of a three-square-mile abandoned factory facility with loose scraps of metal and electrical lines just laying on the ground because I wrote "Bush Did 7/11" on the wall

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

This is a really weird topic for everyone to get so immediately angry and hostile over.

Im mad that people can't read

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Gonna waterboard anyone who tries to join a union

only partially a joke

Rinkles posted:

Did y'all grow up in areas with graffiti all over public spaces? Cause I found it miserable.

What was the state of the buildings, graffiti removed? Because I'm doubting that if it weren't just for the graffiti it would have been a beautiful area regardless. No one has said that graffiti in public spaces should be fair game, but that punishing people for doing graffiti on dilapidated buildings that are already in complete disrepair is silly. But to answer your question, yes I did.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 3, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PantsBandit posted:

Go back and read Khanstant's post that was being responded to again bc the second part is them being surprised that people are upset about rocks being sprayed.

Imo you're the only one trying to argue this "the point is we should be madder about everything" pov.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Im mad that people can't read

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Propaganda Hour posted:

Loop Hero comes out this week and I'm extremely excited.

I really wanna play loop hero, but I was watching some streams of it earlier and I had to turn them all off because each streamer kept going on very long tirades about how annoying backseat gaming is after some random person explained a game mechanic the streamer didn't understand. I do not know why I don't just unfollow people who do this, I keep saying to myself "maybe them going on really long tirades about how they don't like interacting with their chat was a one-off thing" but it keeps happening!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

(you're a moron who thought he was being a sage pragmatist and is now sweating down his collar because it didn't get the reaction you intended)

You are psychotic

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Rinkles posted:

Any similar but better/more polished games? I mean the dungeon crawling part mostly.

If you like most of the game except the dungeon crawling part, you might look at the DC2 speedrun that is like...five or six hours long. They build a super fast ridepod that can oneshot like every enemy and skip through all the dungeon stuff as fast as possible

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Let's see what they say on this one

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Macaluso posted:

Well! I'd like to see ol Valve wriggle their way out of THIS jam!
*Valve wriggles their way out of the jam easily*
Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

Dear RazzleDazzleHour,

No!

Signed,
Valve

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

human eyes will never see that

I've told this story before but there are very specific ways you can actually get through to a human at Valve and they HATE it when you use those methods, but if you know which ones they are you can use them to get responses. One time I recorded footage of a guy doing some INSANE racism and sent it directly to Valve instead of going through any of their automated bullshit and they sent me an email back saying they would look into it but to please not send them any more gameplay reports via support emails.

But they did ban the guy so WHOOPS I have become empowered

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jay Rust posted:

Heeeeey Hades is pretty good

I’m probably not using the Cast Attack often enough, am I

At the beginning of the game the cast is pretty worthless but once you get access to meta-progression, you'll unlock a perk that boosts the damage you do an enemy that is afflicted with two status ailments, and suddenly upgrading your cast to inflict one of the two needed ailments becomes really important

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So this season is a DnD session set in the Metal Gear Survive universe huh.......

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jay Rust posted:

Well gently caress me, lost my evening to Hades, turns out it’s good, weird

Two quick Qs:
Can you backstab the hydra?
Do Attack and Special bonuses also apply to Dash-Attacks and Dash-Specials?

1. I don't think so? Maybe it's possible, positioning-wise you almost never get an opportunity but maybe you can pull off a reach-around with the shield which works on tons of enemies for backstabs so long as you're close to the side

2. Yes

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

bovis posted:

The combat in FF X feels really good. I think my main problem with jrpgs has been feeling the combat is slow but maybe I just haven't played a modern one with faster combat. Also helps I can grind a bit with the 4x speed option

If you want to fight the ultimate boss, aside from the specific grinding you'll need to do to get certain items to unlock weapon abilities and just leveling up grinding in general, you will also have to kill five of every enemy in the game which means that emulating the PS2 version to have access to frame limit removal is the ONLY way to play the game

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

If I feel like I am starting to get tired of a game but still want to beat it, I'll sometimes check out the speedrun for the game and see if there's any quick way to power through whatever part I don't like

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay I have finally finished all of my math homework AKA beating Loop Hero

the game is very fun but there is a lot to know and it feels very good to go from looking at people's screenshots and saying "I don't know how it is physically possible to do what you did" to then totally breaking the game over your knee

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Lol his excuse is he didn't know it was a slur

Taking advice from Dave Chappelle

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I have expressed concerns in the past that it felt like the Atelier team really embraced the uh...enthusiastic fanart that Ryza generated and I was wondering if those sorts of things would manifest themselves in the game, and after watching some choice vtuber clips I can confirm that: yes they have

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

hatty posted:

Is Atelier horny now?

One of the brand new features that has been added to Atelier Ryza 2 is the rear end-Cam where Ryza crouches down to crawl through a cave opening and the camera gets RIGHT up in there

Go to Youtube and type Atelier Ryza Kiara and you will find it immediately

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Does the series ever have anybody as annoying as poe in it again

No, honestly most Atelier characters are just kind of pleasant with one weird Fire-Emblem-like quirk to them. 80% of all conversations are about like, making snacks or something mundane.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Okay.

God Poe was annoying.

...this just makes me want to go back and play the whole iris series out of spite though tbh

I would recommend Mana Khemia as a good alternative if the game wasn't so easy, but god drat that game is so easy. Really lame when a game has a lot of mechanical depth to it but is so easy you can pretty much just ignore 90% of it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Scroll up, I posted about the specific scene I saw

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I got Loop Hero. It seems kind of neat but I don't know if it has its hooks in me yet? I can see that there's combos and stuff but otherwise it seems kind of straightforward, but not straightforward enough that I can put it in the "idle/incremental game" category which pushes a different set of buttons

There's a cadence to the game that is kind of tough to get a hold of and there's a ton of cool little small things to learn, but for me the biggest complaint was that I had trouble telling when the issue with progressing in the game was a skill issue or a metaprogression issue. Like, there's one set of tiles you basically need to beat the game and I see a lot of people trying their absolute damndest to beat the game without them and they just can't do it, so it sucks to see people playing the game who haven't unlocked it yet and you don't wanna tell them that hey actually you'll never win since you haven't unlocked the best item in the game yet

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I gotta think of a game to play this weekend, about to have a three-day and its still two weeks to Monster Hunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Also lmao, a dude who does mods for Sonic Robo Blast 2/Kart got outed as a pedophile and his defense was "no it was a ghost"

https://twitter.com/yungsnaku/status/1369068133231820801

e: this is a couple of days old so my apologies if it already came up in the thread

I saw this and I laughed so hard I almost cried