Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

is this a baddiel thing or a response to Angela Rayner's tweet about sarwar being the first party leader from an ethnic minority?

e: lol https://twitter.com/benjamincohen/status/1366398936483852295?s=19

XMNN fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

New Fudge Released!

It's time for what will now be the regular biweekly release of new stocks of delicious sweet sweet fudge!

We have six flavours live on https://www.fudjit.co.uk now for your delectation and delight!

Original Vanilla
Toblerone
Apple Pie
Irish Cream
Whisky and Candied Ginger

And our newest flavour:
Bakewell Tart: Dried organic cherries soaked overnight in Amaretto, then smothered in our delicious fudge flavoured with even more Amaretto for a delicious flavour burst that's like a bakewell tart in fudge form! It's got real fruit in it, so it's got to be healthy, right?

Head over to the website now to make your order, and be warned- things tend to sell out quickly, so don't delay!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So there's a big Public Health England report out discussing vaccine effects; single shot looks like it's reducing hospitalisation by 80%. The death rate of the over-80s, previously the main contributor to total deaths, is falling faster than for everyone else.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

So there's a big Public Health England report out discussing vaccine effects; single shot looks like it's reducing hospitalisation by 80%. The death rate of the over-80s, previously the main contributor to total deaths, is falling faster than for everyone else.

Which makes me wonder how many Over-80s are left?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It makes me wonder how the "ah ah but they count it as a covid death if you get hit by a falling safe and then do a little accordion dance if you had a positive test within 28 days" lot are going to spin the sudden decrease. Brexit impact on ACME imports?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Blinks77 posted:

Starmer wing of the party looking nervously at opinion polls: "too many"

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Blinks77 posted:

"People aged 65 and over are a large and rapidly growing group – there are currently more than 11.9 million people aged 65 and over in the UK, with 3.2 million aged 80 and over and 1.6 million aged 85 and over. "
https://www.ageing-better.org.uk/sites/default/files/2019-03/The-state-of-ageing.pdf

So lots.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like to think these are related.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Can confirm the fudge is selling out fast. Because I just bought some.

I wish to be buried on a bed of Irish Cream fudge.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

My work just emailed everyone to say they plan to reopen offices on 12th April. Since non-essential retail is opening then, apparently the office can too! Sounds like bullshit to me, from reading the government website.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
What flavours for the Big Phil Memorial Fudge?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

What flavours for the Big Phil Memorial Fudge?

ouzo

Mebh
May 10, 2010

E.on finally forced me to get a smart meter. They installed it on Friday. Now it's showing I've spent £130,000 (yes 6 figures) on electricity since then.

Why is everything in this country so relentlessly poo poo when it comes to utilities. From broadband being slower than the slowest deal in Spain, to my water company constantly trying to upsell me blocked drain insurance, to this poo poo.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

They must have installed it backwards, don't tell them, you're in for a tasty windfall when you get everyone else's electricity bux

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Borrovan posted:

That would be a partial Scottish tho

the scottish breakfast is great too, i don't really need the haggis though. i do like haggis but not really as a morning thing, whereas black pudding gives you all the blood you need for the day.

the tattie scone is so good that it really carries the whole thing, though as i understand its actually an irish invention, its THE substrate for morning bacon imo

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Borrovan posted:

They must have installed it backwards, don't tell them, you're in for a tasty windfall when you get everyone else's electricity bux

Or it's a top-up meter and that's how much credit you have, enjoy!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Camrath posted:

New Fudge Released!

It's time for what will now be the regular biweekly release of new stocks of delicious sweet sweet fudge!

We have six flavours live on https://www.fudjit.co.uk now for your delectation and delight!

Original Vanilla
Toblerone
Apple Pie
Irish Cream
Whisky and Candied Ginger

And our newest flavour:
Bakewell Tart: Dried organic cherries soaked overnight in Amaretto, then smothered in our delicious fudge flavoured with even more Amaretto for a delicious flavour burst that's like a bakewell tart in fudge form! It's got real fruit in it, so it's got to be healthy, right?

Head over to the website now to make your order, and be warned- things tend to sell out quickly, so don't delay!

There are now two fewer selection boxes and three fewer bags of toblerone flavour available, so don't delay indeed.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mebh posted:

E.on finally forced me to get a smart meter. They installed it on Friday. Now it's showing I've spent £130,000 (yes 6 figures) on electricity since then.

Why is everything in this country so relentlessly poo poo when it comes to utilities. From broadband being slower than the slowest deal in Spain, to my water company constantly trying to upsell me blocked drain insurance, to this poo poo.

Can I borrow some bitcoin please?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

Or it's a top-up meter and that's how much credit you have, enjoy!

I actually had something like that happen with my heating - some weirdness with them crossing up my account with someone with a similar address meant that the best way they could think of to rectify matters was to refund us both everything we'd paid over a couple of months then credit both our accounts with the full amount each of us had paid, so I basically got a free year or so of hot water and heat.

(This was after their phone app went haywire and took 70-ish £1 "verification payments" which they likewise refunded me in full and let me keep the credit - I find it hard to hold the fairly frequent little admin cockups the small firm that looks after our CHAP system makes when they're normally so quick and generous when correcting them)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Two flats in our block had smart meters put in and they stopped the storage heaters working so SSE had to come and put old ones back in.

The 'landlord' meter (communal one) doesn't show any readings so I pressed a blue button to see if it showed any (which works on mine) and it just said 'reset' so god only knows if I have set it to 00000 so they'll think we've gone round the clock! We haven't had an actual meter reading for quite a long time, all estimates, as noone knew where the key to the relevant cupboard was!
Once the winter is through (don't want any disruption to the overnight storage heaters in the communal areas during the cold months with all these 80/90 year olds knocking around) hope to somehow get an employee with a technical brain cell /ability to make decisions to visit rather than getting into a dispute.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 2, 2021

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

MikeCrotch posted:

Au contraire, Profound Decisions gives me the opportunity to eat my body weight in flapjacks the moment I'm awake and you bet I'm going to exercise that option

Before going to our first event my housemate watched a youtube video suggesting just having like 20 cold mcdonalds cheeseburgers in the tent, it seemed ridiculous but we took like 10 and it's such a good method.

Between the weather and walking around the nations and both the battles and Not Sleeping it isn't even an insane amount of calories honestly, really keeps you going. Brass Coast best nation.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1366512775065919488?s=19

Harry Cuckold.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
How does this count as either an exclusive or as news, given it's not anything at all in Johnson's power to do and UEFA have already said they're exploring the possiblity of hosting the whole lot in England?

e: That is the postponed Euro 2020, even UEFA can't force pubs to open. Given the original plan for Euro 2020 was to have it splattered across the entire continent, which was a loving stupid idea even before the pandemic, it's pretty inevitable that they're going to have to revert to having the whole tournament in one nation to at least pretend like it's not just one pancontinental superspreader event, and given that the semis and final were already going to take place at Wembley and England is the only country in UEFA to both have enough stadiums ready to go and a government dumb enough to let them all be used, it's only going to end up in one place anyway.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 1, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I guess he could veto it.

Also I think i disagree that a paneuropean tournament was a stupid idea before covid. Like thats the point of europe.

Its geographically no bigger than the us or russia or wherever and you could have had a summer of people doing crazy trips across europe to got to great games. I mean its bullshit unless youre rich but travelling across Europe is the least expensive bit of attending a big tournament football match.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 1, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I guess he could veto it.

Not really, at least not without putting in place the kind of quarantine and travel restrictions that he wouldn't put in place even at the very height of the deaths. If he actually told the FA and clubs they couldn't host it *without* it being part of wider measures the FA would be kicked out of UEFA and FIFA, who have rules against national governments meddling in the game which don't get enforced normally but if an opportunity to get the English out of your organisation presented itself wouldn't you take it?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Vitamin P posted:

Before going to our first event my housemate watched a youtube video suggesting just having like 20 cold mcdonalds cheeseburgers in the tent, it seemed ridiculous but we took like 10 and it's such a good method.

Between the weather and walking around the nations and both the battles and Not Sleeping it isn't even an insane amount of calories honestly, really keeps you going. Brass Coast best nation.

Strange outfits. Sleep deprivation. Outlandish behaviour. Ridiculous calorific intake...
The only difference between marathon-des-sables and LARPing is the quantity of bodyglide on your nipples.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
put one of those diarrhea cruise ships to good use and host the foot-ball tourné on it imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm a little surprised that high seas football isn't already a thing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

im not sure many boats have football pitches on them?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paint the lines on one of the aircraft carriers. Or do an HMS Argus and build one on top of an existing boat

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

our carriers arent big enough

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then start the international maritime five a side league. At least someone from the UK would stand a chance of winning it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Americans already did it lol I have no idea if this is real?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This looks like it could be a deleted scene from Anchorman tbh

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

A gridiron field is 120 yards by 60 yards if you include the endzones and space at the sidelines, so possibly. Don't make me get the envelope out to work out if the angled flight deck is wide enough to fit the entire field.

However to answer the question about real football at sea - minimum width of a pitch for an international match is 68m and weirdly this seems like a fairly hard limit on the beam of supertankers - there's only one ship wider than that still sailing and that's this thing:

which is a bit bumpy even for 70s football.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It was just a set for unveiling a video game, not an actual football field. https://stripehype.com/2013/07/01/uss-midway-museum-hosting-madden-25/

They do have college basketball games on aircraft carrier decks, though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

That Harry Cole ends up doing PR for Boris so much is one of the few things in our press that is enjoyable. What a loving loser.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Our country sucks massive poo poo but I'm so glad we can't produce headlines like this anymore https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1366526186730446852

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I actually had something like that happen with my heating - some weirdness with them crossing up my account with someone with a similar address meant that the best way they could think of to rectify matters was to refund us both everything we'd paid over a couple of months then credit both our accounts with the full amount each of us had paid, so I basically got a free year or so of hot water and heat.

(This was after their phone app went haywire and took 70-ish £1 "verification payments" which they likewise refunded me in full and let me keep the credit - I find it hard to hold the fairly frequent little admin cockups the small firm that looks after our CHAP system makes when they're normally so quick and generous when correcting them)
We’ve got a smart meter in our new place and a little after I gave them our first reading they credited my account with nearly £650 for some reason. I assume at some point it’ll disappear again but I’m not going to ask them about it until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

I'm a little surprised that high seas football isn't already a thing.

They already did. Arsenal legend and Frenchman who will never be forgiven for that handball, Thiery Henry won it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ItX_bPR1o