Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

And Sarwar begins as expected: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-56238614

quote:

he new Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar has said he considers nine Aberdeen councillors suspended in 2017 to still be part of the party.

The councillors were suspended after they disobeyed former leader Kezia Dugdale's instructions not to form a coalition with the Conservatives.

The UK Labour party's disciplinary body said they would remain suspended until the local elections in 2022.

Mr Sarwar said he believed the nine were performing well.

He told the BBC's Good Morning Scotland: "They are not former Labour colleagues, I regard them as Labour colleagues, they are Labour councillors doing a good job.

"I regard them as Labour councillors and I think the situation is far from acceptable, but they have gone through a process that was before my time as leader."

At this rate I'm beginning to think Labour would like to have a coalition with the Tories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Does anyone even give a gently caress? I feel like appealing to parliamentary procedure is a total lost cause now that politicians can do literally anything without consequence.

I think it will be enough to probably stop the SNP from gaining the majority it needs to call another referendum, but not enough to knock the SNP out of control. Which to be honest works fine for everyone including the less radical parts of the SNP.

Basically the whole thing is a storm in a teacup and although Sturgeon has probably damaged her reputation, everyone really dislikes Salmond and thinks he's a sex pest.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Alex Salmond is definitely a sex pest, i can think of two seperate incidents of women who have told me personally they encountered him and we was acting extremely weird and innapropriate. Despite being found not-guilty there probably a great deal of truth to the allegations made by multiple women. It's really galling that this issue will do more to damage the reputation of Sturgeon than that of a man who if not guilty of *checks notes* attempted rape probably at least came close to it.

I still dont fully understand Sturgeon's crime here? She had a meeting where she implied she'd make it go away for him, then instead encouraged more woment to come forward, then forgot or mixed up dates of some meeting about it? And this then means that she technically lied to parliament. It seems like a lot of bullshit, I doubt it will cut through at all to the public. It does erode some of the SNP support from the pro-Salmond/Cherry/TERF faction, but gently caress those people anyway, they're all zoomer cunts.

It's too difficult to understand, which is one reason why it won't really stick. It fundamentally comes down to her attempting to influence one side or another to come forward, and her relationship with Salmond. She probably knew like the rest of them that he was a sex pest, but let it slide, which is bad. Then when things started to heat up, she started supporting the victims, which is good, but she did it the wrong way. Then there's cover ups and supposedly not telling the whole truth and blah blah blah. She basically didn't do the right thing at the right time when she should have, and is facing the consequences for trying to defend her friend and mentor, who is now throwing her under the bus to boost the pro-Salmond/Cherry/TERF/radicalist wing of the SNP, who want to drive the the party hard right.

quote:

I don't follow Scottish politics that closely, but:- surely Salmond is done? He's obviously a creep, there's a tonne of credible accusations & that one "not proven" verdict

There are rumours he wanted to re-enter politics, but yes after this he's done.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Does Starmer do that thing with his face on purpose like that power stance thing? Maybe there's something he's aiming for and missing.

He's aiming for Mr Serious Politics, but is channelling "About to burst into tears."

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAII/status/1375487467651002373?s=19

This whole thing feels like The NWO spin off that had all the shite NWO members like Jeff Jarrett and Virgil.

Edit: lol its a troll but probably not for long

Very very good trolling, haha :D

Honestly wouldn't surprise me.