Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Regarde Aduck posted:

So, what's everyone's favorite crisp?

The residue left behind at the bottom of the pan in my rice cooker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Ewan posted:

And then when you eat it likewise you need to properly nuke it

*furiously takes notes* and how much is a proper nuke?

Seriously I see people eating curry and rice for lunch at work and I'm sitting there all sad with my riceless curry and an NHS health page telling me not to reheat rice

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

citing her comments which suggested that she “respects the right”

:stonk:

quote:

to have a second referendum on independence.

Oh, ok.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

TACD posted:

Loudly ringing the emergency alarm and screaming at everyone to get out now before this thread descends any further into the nightmare pit of writing Boris Johnson sex acts fanfic

I found an old hard drive while cleaning yesterday, and on it was some Clegg/Cameron slashfic from 2010. Ah, memories~

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960766

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Zero Gravitas posted:

you're all still expecting starmer to be some sort of perfect saint instead of a guy who works with what is practical

I don't think anyone expected this. We expected someone who would at the very least keep the promises they were elected as leader on. And I'm struggling to see anything he's done since that you could call practical, except with regards to factional struggle from the viewpoint of the right.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1376577298237915141?s=19

Lmao this petty poo poo makes it sound like they've not vaccinated their own citizens to spite British holiday makers.

The last five years has just been a circle which began and ends with 'the people in power are poo poo', it doesn't matter what nationality they are :sigh:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

UKMT night crew: should we destroy Wales??

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

I mean, yes, it's "go to therapy"

Choosing not to give in to despair and choosing to feel and try to embody revolutionary hope isn't a rational decision, so I can't give you, like, a logical argument as to why or how to do it. It's a case of finding or creating or reclaiming your own self and strength regardless of external events.

Super unironically I found this post incredibly helpful. Some of it may not make much sense if you've not played the game, but the gist of it is relevant to all defeated-feeling, broke-brained communists like us

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3899418&pagenumber=226&perpage=40#post501553265

:hmmyes:

Most of the progress I've made can be attributed to reading Albert Camus and the concept of the Absurd, of learning to live with despair and gaining control over it. The rest I've managed through meditation, which might not work for everyone but has helped carry on those same arguments to convince my body and irrational mind not to freak out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I'd agree with that. The Myth of Sisyphus was probably the work of philosophy that had the most direct impact on me. Which isn't to say I'm not prone to despair now & again because my brain chemistry is borked but it helps somewhat.

It's a very daunting thing to be told you have to create your own meaning, because there's gently caress all to be found elsewhere. It completely broke my brain at uni and I've only just started putting the pieces back together, but it's also the only piece of philosophy I've been able to find real consolation in. It also doesn't promise that everything will be smooth and easy, which fits with, well, *gestures wildly at everything*

The brain chemistry thing is where meditation has helped me. If you are able to develop the skill of clearing your mind it can help force your brain to stop despairing by default. It's not easy to explain and I'm sure its efficacy varies from person to person, but it's well worth a try. Headspace free trial is a good place to start I think.