Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jakabite posted:

I can't believe you got me a new thread for my birthday AGAIN this year

Happy birthday, fellow birthday haver! I got a soundbar, thanks to previous discussions in this thread :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Monthly Update - 1st 2nd March 2021 :siren:

The Fund made its first payout on 23rd March 2020, so at some point this month we will have been officially in operation for a full year!

February was a fairly quiet month after the excitement of December and January - a few donations, a few requests, a few more goons able to keep financially afloat thanks to your generosity. Many thanks to those who donated :yayclod:

February Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts:

Cumulative donations and payouts:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

Donate:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/ukmtsolidarity - Please mark your donation as a gift, *not* as payment for services, as the latter incurs a charge!
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, The DPRK or Tsietisin.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Camrath posted:

I love the idea, but I’m not sure fudge would be firm enough to hold its shape outside the mould for something as small as a .303

Now a .50BMG, maybe..

Incidentally I’m currently pricing out moulds- if I were to offer solid fudge Easter Eggs, would people be interested?

How big are we talking?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

peanut- posted:

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1367407911828414466?s=20

I don't really blame them but it will be interesting how this plays out over the next few months. The rate of people breaking the rules will be way, way higher for over 60s, over 50s etc and there's no way that unvaccinated younger people are gonna stay at home if vaccinated boomers are swanning about doing whatever they like.

My aunt just casually invited us over to lunch on Saturday along with a bunch of other relatives. Suffice to say we're not going. We haven't even seen any of our parents since last summer ffs.

Boomers

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Ah but you see there is no such thing as society so you have no responsibility to keep public spaces tidy or safe

E: I was curious about the context of this quote of Thatcher's so I looked it up and she kind of meant the opposite - she was complaining about people thinking it was some nebulous abstract "society"s responsibility to care for their fellow people and maintain public spaces rather than the responsibility of every individual

Unfortunately she was extremely wrong in her belief that if people became personally successful and prosperous they would immediately start caring for their fellow humans thus removing the need for the state to do so

Extremely wrong

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 6, 2021

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Lord of the Llamas posted:

That's not how Venn diagrams work.

I was waiting for this post

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

suck my woke dick posted:

I regret to inform you you are entirely correct, and as evidence I offer the anecdote of a friend going maximum TERF at me via text like 2h ago for calling a transphobe dumb on the internet, then blocking me after I pointed out I don't accept her basic assumptions on who is a ~biological~ woman as an excuse to take out her issues on trans women.

I appreciate your username in the context of this post. Condolences on your falling out though.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

thebardyspoon posted:

I have a question for UKMT goons who work in games, I know there's a couple at least. I've asked my new job this question as my first day was ending but am curious so thought I'd ask. They've given me a PC to work from home on but it's absolutely massive, doesn't fit into the only area suitable as a workspace at all and is also worse than my actual PC performance wise. I'm not sure if it's mandatory which is what I've asked them. Is there a great reason why it would be? I guess like, security concerns and if they want to monitor me would be the main reasons. They only had it delivered today in the afternoon after I started and didn't give me any measurements or I'd have flagged it up beforehand obviously.

Either way I've already asked so hopefully I don't seem like a complete loving moron or massive whiney bastard to them. Mainly just curious.

Congrats on starting your new job in the industry!

If it's a small indie outfit they will likely be fine with you using your own PC. Bigger studios, especially publisher-owned with their own IT department, may well have set up the work-supplied PC with licensed software and a standard security profile - if they're tight for licenses I guess you could run into pushback against installing something on an additional machine. However if it literally doesn't fit the space I'm sure they will find a way to accommodate you.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Mebh posted:

So on the ADHD stuff. This thread convinced me to go for a test. So I paid 500 for a private diagnosis. Next steps are tests which I managed to get booked through the NHS due to having another health issue that overlapped and gave justification for full blood work and an ECG.

My question is... What next? It's 250 per follow up appt. privately and yeah I can start meds but I'm going to have to pay 50 to 100 per month for the meds and to adjust and manage it it's 250 again each time I need to do that.

From what people say this is going to require constant management but the wait time is 18 months minimum to get on the NHS. Am I basically stuck paying out of pocket til the wait list is over?

Once you have your diagnosis and your meds have been appropriately adjusted (which will take a couple of follow-up appointments most likely) you can just take the prescription to your GP and, assuming they are cool with it which they mostly will be, get the drugs on the NHS.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Harking back to 3D printer chat, let's say I have a glass shower screen with plastic hinges and one hinge has broken. Is it possible to create a 3D scan of the other hinge and print it using a 3D printer?

It would have to be a mirror image of the intact one, but I imagine that's trivial to do in whatever software would do the 3D scan in the first place...

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Surprise T Rex posted:

Company who's name is four letters beginning with B by any chance? I've just got a job at a software consultancy too and I know they're still hiring more people.

I don't care how much they say they'll pay you, working for the Borg is a bad idea.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

suck my woke dick posted:

Yes you can, it's sort of possible to do photogrammetry with a phone and some contrasty dust particles sprinkled on whatever you're scanning, but photogrammetry data is a pain in the rear end to clean up and process. Unless the function of your hinge depends on a very complicated geometry it's probably more convenient to use Freecad or the hobbyist version of Fusion 360, measure the relevant dimensions with some cheap plastic calipers and draw a new hinge based on that. Print two so they match.

This was the conclusion I'd arrived at, having tried a basic 3D scanning app and got less than stellar results. Would Blender do? That's the package I've been wanting to learn anyway but maybe it's a blunt instrument for this purpose I dunno.

Endjinneer posted:

This lot are a friendly bunch that can help you.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365193
One salient point is that the shape of components is determined by the foibles of the material and the manufacturing process. You could 3D print a perfect copy of your broken hinge but it probably won't perform as well as the original. Tweaking the design to suit the peculiarities of 3D printing will give you something that looks different but works better.

And this is super helpful, thanks, I'll check that thread out :)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Becoming a better ally is an ongoing process that starts with your willingness to listen to - fully listen to and try to understand - the voices of those you want to be an ally to. You're not going to read a single article, go "that makes sense" and immediately shed an entire upbringing's worth of ingrained sexism, racism, homophobia or transphobia.

By reading what women write, thinking about what you read and relating it to your own attitudes and behaviours, both past and present, you will experience some uncomfortable realisations and start to internalise why those attitudes and behaviours are... Not great. Which leads to breaking out of the patterns, gradually. Like all brain changes it's a stressful process which is why you get a lot of people choosing the easier route of just rejecting the idea that those behaviours are even a problem, or that they have ever exhibited those behaviours (hashtag not all men).

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Tesseraction posted:

My NHS national covid survey kit arrived today. Can't even use it because I have to book a luxury courier with a fridge van to pick it up.

I was supposed to do one of these and I booked the courier and everything and then when I went to do the test there wasn't a swab in the packet. It was just sealed and empty.

So I had to send the guy away empty handed and my record of never being tested for covid remains intact

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Guavanaut posted:

Waving a dildo may ruin the effect.

Also known as the guardian columnist trajectory

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
We suggested to our landlord that he might want to take advantage of the free £3000 from the Mayor of London's warmer homes scheme to improve the house he rents to us. He came round and ranted at us about how "tenants don't do that" and we were probably plotting to steal his house from him

It's been another chilly winter of astronomical heating bills

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Lungboy posted:

You can apply for that yourself but you'll need the landlord to ok it unfortunately.

That's exactly what we were hoping to do, we were literally just giving him a heads up and asking for his permission to go ahead with it.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Guavanaut posted:

UKMT March 2021 - Some of you should do one

You have the power to make it so

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

sassassin posted:

Mum's getting hers next week so we're still a long way from my age bracket round here. Maybe next year.

They're still on track for getting all over-18s their first dose by end of July afaik. Stocks of the Moderna vaccine (of which we have ordered I think 17m doses) are coming in imminently which is expected to massively increase the already high rate of vaccination.

I think it becomes a free-for-all once they get to the under 40s so as coolcab says if you're keen to get the jab you will probably be able to book a spot pretty fast.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yeah the US has ramped their vaccine programme the gently caress up, it's quite impressive actually

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I don't think the US is using the AZ one at all, it's all Pfizer and Moderna there (and Janssen just started).

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Do you actually have a spouse, and if so might they have used the service without your knowledge?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I had a preop assessment ten days after my AZ vaccine and the nurse who took my blood was like "wow this is really thick blood, you need to drink more water", should I be worried

(I'm not especially worried, I really am poo poo at drinking enough)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

OwlFancier posted:

The nurse just wanted your echoes to level up.

I feel like this post might be a reference to a game I haven't played and would like to know which one.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Have you told them you no longer want them to act on your behalf and received confirmation in writing?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

learnincurve posted:

Hello I’m poor, on benefits and need the extra loan and bursary money so she can go to university and also eat food.

Breath Ray is a piece of poo poo who most everyone has on ignore for good reason.

You're a great parent and I hope I can do as well by my kids.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Venomous posted:

also, I'm getting some prawn crackers tonight with my Chinese takeaway and I'm really looking forward to them, do they count as crisps

I never thought of that before, but if they do then I finally have an answer to this question after years of crispchat.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That reminds me, what other threads do the good people of the UKMT subscribe to? (or top 3 if you read loads)

Me, I like to keep tabs on climate change in cspam, and recently have been getting a massive kick out of the stories in the reddit relationships thread in gbs

Not including games/LP threads my main 3 are probably Healthcare Stories, Thunderdome and the Five Acres.

I occasionally go and read bits of bigger threads like r/relationships but it sucks too much of my time. I don't follow the climate change thread because I don't get off on perpetual existential terror :ohdear:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Constant tinnitus is a feature of my deafness but it's usually pretty low level and hearing aids drown it out. Apparently it's also common for cochlear implant recipients to get it, and have it only go away while the processor is switched on. (Still don't have a date for my surgery but hopefully soon)

I used to get spooky repetitive sequences of different pitched notes playing as tinnitus when I was a kid. Now it's just boring rustling or ringing :(

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Of course the vaccines are having an effect - the entire older half of the adult population of the country have received vaccines that have been shown to be approx 70 percent effective at preventing infection four weeks after the first dose, and near 100% effective at preventing ICU admission and death. You can argue over the magnitude of the effect compared to other factors but it's ridiculous to say there might not be any.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
If anyone else on Android has been getting constant crashes in the Awful app, Gmail, Feedly etc since yesterday afternoon, make sure you've installed the latest updates to Chrome and Android System Webview - looks like they rolled out a hotfix overnight.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Wtf you can freeze cheese?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

ThomasPaine posted:

Speaking of trampolines it's kind of weird that those little backyard models became a pretty solid marker of the aspirational working class round where I lived. Rows upon rows of them behind every house. Seems weirdly niche, but they really caught on.

Both my kids (toddlers) will throw a goddamn tantrum every single day they are denied access to the neighbours' trampoline, which is every day in covid times. It's got to the point I actually dread taking them into the garden because they have a perfectly nice climbing frame here but within 5 minutes they will be craning over the fence demanding trampoline.

So yeah I can understand why every family in a row of houses would end up with one.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Mebh posted:

How on earth does one get over a crippling fear of driving and learn to drive anyway? I hate cars. I had about plucked up the courage pre covid but gently caress getting in a strangers car now. Or ever.

I took lessons when I was 19, my dad (a good teacher) decided to stop after I nearly crashed going round a corner too fast on the second lesson - the only time I've heard him actually scream. Then we got a paid tutor who made me drive through the local town in rush hour on the third lesson without warning me at all. Stopping after that was probably a mistake - should have pushed through so my last memory of driving wasn't a traumatic one - but I did.

I finally learnt 5 years ago, the impetus being that my wife got pregnant and I couldn't countenance being a dad and not being able to drive. I even took my lessons in London because gently caress it, if millions of idiots manage to drive these roads without killing themselves it can't be THAT hard. I did decide to go with an automatic and have no regrets, it's way easier to learn. I don't know why manual is still so popular in this country tbh.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Cost, it all boils down to cost. An automatic transmission will always be more expensive than a manual gearbox. Autos are now the standard and increasingly only option available for high end vehicles and it’s slowly working its way down, but I expect most consumer vehicles will keep their manual transmissions until the demise of the ICE.

Yeah good point. When I chose automatic I had half an eye on the fully-electric future but the cost prevented me from actually buying an EV. I'm hoping by the time I'm next looking to buy a car there will be some good electrics on the second hand market.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Sanford posted:

My pharmacist has just told me to go and book my first vaccine "because I'm acting as a carer so I should get it ASAP". I've followed the link he gave me but it is covered with warning saying IF YOU ARE NOT OLD ENOUGH AND DON'T HAVE AN INVITE LETTER WE WILL SEND YOU AWAY. He says it will "be fine" but I'm worried about being thrown in Covid jail. Does anyone have any advice/experience on this point? This vaccine centre (in Chesterfield) seems to have hundreds of availabke appointments over the next few days so it doesn't seem they're overwhelmed.

Get in touch with your GP and explain that you're a carer and they should sort you out. At least back in the distant days of February when we were booking ours, the GP was the Source of All Jab Invitations.

E: whoops top of page, teach me to post so much lately, here's a pic of Ish enjoying the stack of beanbags behind the sofa

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 25, 2021

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Rumda posted:

Some good news for a change the Bell v. Tavistock appeal has actually had a good result which basically neutralizes the judgement of the case for pretty much everyone affected
https://goodlawproject.org/news/tavistock-success/

This is heartening to read. Here's hoping there are many more successes to follow.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

feedmegin posted:

Why is it called that when it has Evergreen painted on its side in like 100 foot tall lettering anyway?

Evergreen is the owning company, they have a fleet of ships called various Ever ***** names

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Tesseraction posted:

I'm apparently getting stabbed on Monday, how many of you who had bastard sickness afterwards had the MMR jab?

I thought basically everyone in the country had had the MMR jab

My wife got Pfizer and I got AZ and we had roughly the same reaction - bit feverish overnight and then felt like crap for most of the next day but not horrendously bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Tesseraction posted:

It's apparently only likely if you're under 40. Prior to that were three separate vaccinations, which people weren't always consistent about getting. There seems to be a correlation between those who had the MMR vaccine and greater ability to survive covid, but more pertinently there seems to be a correlation between people with MMR and the AZ jab punching you in the organs.

Ah. Yeah we're 39 and 40 respectively and I'm pretty sure we have both had the MMR. I didn't know that and it's interesting - got a source?