Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The fact that the front gate looks very similar to our local barracks makes me wonder how well a chain of army resorts would do, where you and your gammon family get to pretend you are in the army, get screamed awake at 6am and then are dragged through a day of training.

I am genuinely surprised this is not a thing, and no, I refuse to do even a cursory google.

I think most of the people who enjoy the idea of other people having things like that happen to them would baulk at the idea that they need to wake up early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It says something that my folks, as liberal as they are, don't seem to like the Royal family. Maybe there is a reason I ended up like this.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jose posted:

someone should get their white house press pass pulled then

Since when has the US government given a poo poo about white supremacism? That still doesn't stop Glenn being a loving brain spidered dingus, unable to see anything organic in BLM because he's myopically obsessed with "journalism".

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 5, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jose posted:

kieth is more demonstrably fascist than glenn greenwald and working to elect him is a bad look

And? Hitler was more fasc than Mussolini. Doesn't mean that they both weren't fasc.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

She's far too old, far too common, and far too not-looking-like-she's-related-to-him for that to happen.

That seems unlikely, the sheer psychic pressure Boris must feel towards going and loving himself must be tremendous.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

GreenAndPleasant > Good
LabourUK > oh my god the melts

It's funny realising that even a lot of the melts are starting to panic in the LabourUK chat.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

panic how? they’ve got three years to build a strong opposition to win the next GE

lol

I think a lot of it is performative. This is the thing so many people desperately want to be "smart" and think that being sensible tm is an easy route to that. It is the sort of thinking that a lot of people go in for even if they can't quite explain it, and then they will justify it because feeling otherwise is making them feel bad about stuff.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah the melts are getting hammered in that sub for arguing that it's entirely reasonable that their "electable" leader can't possibly be expected to win an election.

Trying to do the whole "we will wipe away the stain of Histories Greatest Monster Jonmondly Cordnym" and then 1) Not being able to and 2) Not able to pull in any flag shagging voters, just leaves you looking like complete twerps, who knew.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Went to Aldi today, totally riddled. People standing around nattering in the aisles with some pal they've bumped into. Huge family groups with like 5 kids running amok. Maybe I am being unreasonable but the most annoying people of all are the maskless dickheads with their sunflower lanyards. I would have some small measure of respect for someone just refusing to wear one and fronting it out, but the way they proudly show off their super special snowflake permission slip from the teacher really really gets to me, as if to say I'm the rear end in a top hat for getting frustrated with them and they need everyone to understand just how fragile and vulnerable they are and how everyone needs to be super nice and considerate to them. gently caress off, there is not a single condition on the planet that prevents you wearing a bit of fabric on your face for a few minutes, grow the gently caress up. There are people with one lung and COPD who need oxygen just to get up a flight of stairs who manage. It's totally bizarre to me that any medical professional is indulging this garbage.

Some of my work colleagues have hearing loss, difficulties breathing and panic attacks when getting their mouths covered due to claustrophobia. The fact that you going: "these loving swots and their loving "special permission slips", gently caress them" is the exact same emotional response as someone going 'FLAT SCREEN TV AND A FACKIN' HOUSE" about asylum seekers.

This is one of the essential flaws of everyone I think, but is something I see a lot of. The idea that someone, somewhere is "getting away with it". It's understandable as we live in a cruel world without justice, but it isn't always fair.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 7, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, the pandemic is bringing out the authoritarian in me and it is quite troubling! I think being confined to quarters for a year has made me very uncharitable.

It's fine to vent about, but it sounds like you are close to "yelling at strangers" level of rage. Which should really be targetted at arseholes in charge, not someone whose already suffering.

Sorry, was rude.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 7, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Nope, which honestly is why I'm venting my frustrations on the internet rather than actually yelling at strangers. I'm very aware that I am likely being unfair or irrational. I'm just so loving tired of all of this.

Being tired of [the situation] is okay, but it's still very based in the idea that disability is something you can just "turn off" as long as it isn't losing a limb.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

stev posted:

The mood in this thread absolutely plummeted after 2019 and the final hope-crushing. It's just been getting steadily worse since then - no one has much to be happy about right now and probably won't for a while.

Pretty much. I've mainly moved to the discord because its a better place to just chat because there is precious little I can do atm.

Also whoever bought twisto the lovely av? I try not to get cross but please just gently caress off.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

So the whole "the crown should leapfrog Charles to William" idea is pretty established. What's most interesting about all this stuff now is that William's brand is also being tarnished.

I think the latter thing is going to be the most interesting. If it had leapfrogged to William a decade ago things would be rosy as gently caress for the royals. Now I am not half as sure. I mean, in this instance, it's actually something I am pleased about because I hope the whole lot of them piss off, but it's interesting at the least.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

That's because they want to avoid being grepped.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Heh, "6f" is pretty good

What does "Grepped" and "6f" mean? Grepped sounds like "brigaded" but with a very "cyberpunk" aesthetic so it could also mean "shot in the head"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Private Speech posted:

It's about the grep command a.k.a. the linux regular expressions parser, presumably found using wrong phrases on some sort of communication log or whatever.

TheRat posted:

6F is probably FFFFFF which is white in hexadecimal

Failed Imagineer posted:

6f is FFFFFF, which is both a very boring guitar tuning (sorry Kim Thayil) and a hex code for displaying the colour white.

Ahhhh, thank you everyone!

I still think "grepped" sounds like it should go alongside "skragged" and "merced" as slang, but thank you for all the information!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Hmm I've checked the charts and looks like you're only a lvl 3 anti-racists, cashapp me some money and we can see what can be done.

It really is a perfect summation of Capitalism in that it will try and monetise everything.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Cyril Sneeer posted:

Just pieces of Chinese plastic.

Surprisingly, no. It's all made in the UK in Nottingham.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

1965917 posted:

And yes, it horrifically expensive.

This is very accurate.

Although, weirdly, I think that GW is still valued at more than the company that owns British Gas.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Must admit, I think this pool looks cool and fun!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

I regret to inform you the pool is racist.

Oh no.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jippa posted:

Someone that I follow on twitter who knew her has been retweeting all her missing appeals from the police. Incredibly grim. :(

Oh no. Keep safe Jippa.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, he could manage the comedy option of dropping Labour below the Lib Dems or Greens if he really puts his back into it.

Yeah, it's starting to go through the "tragedy then farce" timeline in a record amount of time.

Seriously, the entirety of this is so loving stupid.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Salisbury Snape posted:

Why wouldn't I care about the safety of women? As a man with a mother, sister, wife and daughters I very much care about the safety of women.
I have, In fact, posted in these threads before, so get the gently caress off your high horse you mouth breathing child. Typical activist bullshit, dislike one thing posted and turn it into 'you must hate women'
As for not being here in good faith, you proved a point that idiots like you can froth at the mouth over the smallest issue and yet again turn it into a rhetoric that fits their narrative.

If the only reason you can think of to give a poo poo about other people is their relation to you, then perhaps you shouldn't opine on other people's intent.

Do you also feel like you are being "silenced" when told that things are not an accurate read? And as a follow up question, what is wrong with being an activist?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

-Feel like poo poo, just want him back- intensifies.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I suppose the ultimate question is why to chose the healthy option. That and, ultimately, how can we make ourselves better people, even if we hate ourselves.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

You can't really make yourself a genuinely better person if you hate yourself, bman, as I am finally discovering after twenty years of loving loathing myself

And if you're asking why to choose good over bad, then I guess my response to that would be what is it that makes you ask that question in the first place?

To know what good and bad are and then to act upon that knowledge.

How can we know what the healthy option is as it were.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

By your own logic why want to know in the first place? Why choose health over sickness?

I suppose you could say its out of the desire to understand "stuff" in general? The idea of what constitutes healthy and sickness that can be applied both universally and particularly.

I suppose that, if one were to drill down deeply enough it becomes "to find meaning".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

Why find meaning? Why is that preferable to not finding meaning?

Because it is required to have Meaning in order to justify Being. I would personally argue that we cannot simply Exist as we are. It's such a ground level state of my own understanding that it is hard to really put into words.