Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

"Fishing expedition" is judicial speak for "You got nothing! Get that weak-rear end poo poo out of my courtroom!"

The applicant's have also been stung for costs.

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1366336582341517317?s=19

WOMP WOMP.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Junior G-man posted:

Not the way I hoped Labour would die, but sure why not:

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/973574768946491392?s=20

hee hee hee

The source for that quote is E. Oldknow.

No wait, that's too obvious. Let's call the source Emilie O.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I'm a little surprised that high seas football isn't already a thing.

They already did. Arsenal legend and Frenchman who will never be forgiven for that handball, Thiery Henry won it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ItX_bPR1o

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Latest news from hell island, holiday camp Pontins have been refusing to take bookings from anyone with an Irish surname in order to keep travellers out of their parks

https://twitter.com/ChrisGreenNews/status/1366666915087794177

And seriously the list is just Irish surnames.txt

https://twitter.com/ChrisGreenNews/status/1366667444497113088

I was just coming in here to post that same story.

Yeah that list is just a random list of Irish surnames, not just Travellers.
Gandalf wouldn’t be impressed.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'm enjoying the people angry that they are being lumped in with Travellers who of course it is fine to ban from your hotel

I'm not defending the list. Nor am I saying it would be fine if the list was just surnames associated with Traveller families.
(The companies rationale for the entire list was flawed. They are relying on management having a right to refuse admission, which they of course do. But that doctirine is "refuse Alan Carr because he wrecked his room back in 1997." Not "refuse all people with the name Carr.")

This is so much worse than that, because it's such a wide ranging list of Irish surnames that's it's discriminating against Irish settled and traveller communities. It's both discriminatory and it's stupid because it shows that the company doesn't even know who they are "supposed" to be discriminating against and just ends up blanket banning Irish people from their business.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Kin posted:

I've barely paid any attention to this stuff because peripherally it seems like a storm in a teacup compared to 6 figure deathtolls caused by uk government fuckups coupled with blatant cronyism and embezzlement.

Is the "misleading of parliament" involved in this not just a minor set of details around the specific times of a meeting and the UK press and Tories/Labour are trying to hammer home a technicality in order to somehow delegitimize the independence movement though character assassination of a popular politician at the front of it.

Like (ironically) bang on about it in a misleading context enough and the the public ends up thinking she personally came round and shat in their kids eyes?

While I haven't been fully following it, I think it's a bit more than that.

Basically Alex Salmon (Sturgeon's mentor and at the time political higher up) got into some trouble and there were allegations made against him. It sounds like Sturgeon may have not followed all the rules to the exact letter as a means of pushing out a political rival.

Now, on the flip side what Salmon was accused of wasn't some minor expenses scandal, but full on serious crimes, so Sturgeon could have been mashing the "hang him out to dry" button as hard as she could to avoid being tarred with the same brush as him.

Since Salmon was acquited in his trial, he has not only swung back with "this was all a conspiracy to stitch me up" narrative but has double downed and gone with "every single woman who accused me of wrong doing is a part of a conspiracy against me! It's a conspiracy of women to do down an innocent man who should be leading Scotland!"

Given his own testimony during his case, the fact he has not acknowledged any wrong doing and the self-serviing blaming of everyone for what happened to him Salmond is almost certainly an abuser. Just one not convicted of a crime but probably known by all involved as one.

The question becomes since Salmond isn't going to let this issue die, is Sturgeon going to get pushed out of power for doing the wrong thing but for the right reasons. Or will Salmpnds refusal to take his win and go hide result in further skeletons being dug out about him.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

When I was living in Dublin a few years ago here (I think it was 2017) I got into a discussion with the census guy who was bringing the census forms to our apartment my (then) GF and I were renting
I had to arrange the date for him to collect the forms after we filled them out. He went off on a tangent about how the Government needs to enforce people people filling out the census and filling it out accurately.
It was a strange conversation, I'm glad I no longer live in the city.

feedmegin posted:

Also most Americans aren't formally members of a party and don't carry cards. Communists doing that is Weird and Different to them in a way it isn't to the many people in this thread who do now or have formerly had a little red card of their own in their wallet.

You know what organisation in America actually does carry cards? The NRA.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Is that even a presumption when he's been ruled not guilty? Excepting that one not proven charge obviously.

With Salmond (as with everyone charged of a crime in a common law jurisdiction) he does enjoy a presumption of innocence.

However he chose to give evidence, and even in his own words he admitted to doing certain things. Now it's very self serving his admissions (I think he described it as a "sleepy cuddle") And you could easily read his admissions as ones indicating the truth being far worse than what he admitted to.

But unlike someone charged with a crime, found not guilty and the evidence supports the notion that no crime ever happened, Salmond's situation sounds very much like stuff did happen.

And rather then see that he got lucky and should slink away from public life, Salmond has doubled down and accused there of being a conspiracy against himself organised by his political enemies and :females:

Sturgeon is right that at no point has Salmond expressed remorse for the hurt he has caused. Not even the "sorry I got caught" type.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Apraxin posted:

Well, at least we're finally loving done with Brex-
https://twitter.com/Joe_Mayes/status/1367155099643097099

Wait a minute. The Government that said it would break International Law in a specific way has gone and reneged on the agreement it entered into?
Who could have predicted this?:monocle:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Kin posted:

And is any of this covered in the press? No, because it's "Sturgeon bad", in an attempt to assassinate her political career to derail independence.

It depends on which media you view it through.
The British media is going with a pro-Salmond view because they need to get rid of that Troublesome Scott who is trying to break apart the Union.
Most International media's report are "Salmond who was found Not Guilty by a jury, but admitted to having a sleepy cuddle" is journalist code for "he was acquited, but this is the type of guy he is."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

namesake posted:

Can't believe people are exciting about buying boxes which are about 20% chocolate in them by weight. Absolute scam, just buy mini or creme eggs or thin chocolate sheets.

They're still part of the UK (for now.....)

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart...1&values=deaths

There is other reasons to buy Easter Eggs. Like the calibre of chocolate.

For instance if you want to eat Cadbury's chocolate, you can buy a bar of it. But it will contain wheat or traces of wheat because of the manufacturing conditions.

Where as the Cadbury's egg is made of the same chocolate but doesn't have wheat or traces of it. (Must be made in a different factory.)

So if you are a Coeliac this is a big deal.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lungboy posted:

James Hewitt not Carling, plus he married the "wrong sort".

Prince Harry’s dad was Wolverine?

No wonder that he went off to Canada.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So today is Sunday. Wasn't the Mail on Sunday supposed to print a front page apology on their website and their newspaper to Meghan Merkle?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Now this is the terrible defence of the Monarchy energy I've been smashing for!

https://twitter.com/PissJugTycoon/status/1368642918026797061?s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Something seems off about that article.

"To reach the top of US society, it's not enough to be rich or famous. You have to be the best of the best. A household name.
Like Beyonce and Jay-Z. Obama and Michelle. George and Amal. Serena and her husband. You know, the guy with the face. He did that thing one time."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Please do not buy dogs and cats from breeders, do not encourage breeders, do not encourage people who buy from breeders.

Not to mention it encourages people to dognap dogs and sell them on. (There has been a huge increase in the number of people doing this during the pandemic.)

My parents cat (a black and white boy) has a near exact duplicate that wanders around the housing estate next to our house. (He looks so much like him that we named this doppelganger Flexo after Futurama.)
I'm pretty sure that he's probably a cat from the same litter.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Paying for a cat is good actually. Cats being free is one of the biggest reasons they are seen as disposable pets by many. Thanks to being able to get money for kittens my mothers 80 year old neighbor could afford to have the mother spayed.

I don't think a cat lacking a precise monetary value is why people consider them "disposable. "

If someone neglects (or worse yet tortured and kills) a cat, that's not going to be stopped by putting a minimum value on them.
You fight that with education or raising awareness and basically try to get people to stop being dickheads who think it's okay to drown cats or use them as methods of training dogs for fight rings.

The free hand of the market isn't going to remove animal cruelty.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1369603546186997761?s=19

Just lol at the continued meltdown.

Also, "being alone with Piers Morgan's opinions" is isomorphic with "condemned to hell"

I saw this on Twitter and is done so well.

https://twitter.com/OFalafel/status/1369218572065640452?s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

So what's a Zemo hours contract? When your lovely boss has a mask glued to their face?

I just want to say that I got this joke and lol'ed.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Get a dog.

The only times I am outside at night it's when I'm walking my Nina dog.
Whenever I do encounter people at night, I have to give them space (because that's what you do when walking a dog, to prevent them from trying to jump up.) And people seem more at ease because you have an obvious reason for being out there, and not just cruising.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Guns for women then.

Ah like that famously safe country (checks notes)... the USA.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The hypothetical "logical" method of trying to get the purse back to a woman who has dropped it at night in a "way that won't make her afraid'" all run into the same problem.
If she is afraid, she assumes the worst and your actions are going to be viewed through that lense.

"Excuse me, I have your purse." That can be taken as a trick to try and get her to let her guard down. (And from listening to true crime podcasts, it has been used by more than one attacker.)

"Get ahead of her and approach her from the front where she can see you." To do this you have to run or speed up to get in front of her, and when you start running towards her, she is again going to assume the worst.

"Just Facebook stalk her and drop her purse where she lives." She will just think that you took her purse and are going to break into her place.

This is a logic versus emotion puzzle. You can't solve it with logic or by acting in a certain way. If someone is afraid of you, there isn't really much you can do to make them not afraid, apart from give them space.

It also means that whatever you did when returning the purse that night was probably the right course of action, based on what tools you had available to you at the time.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The last post I made was pretty bad. I was trying to make a point about how people don't really understand what's going through your head and your actions can sometimes be interpreted in a negative light.

Still, the way I phrased it was really lovely and I have upset some people. So sorry for that, I was wrong.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

kingturnip posted:

I'm due my second Pfizer jab this week. It'll be nice to get that and still be unable to go on holiday anywhere because the entire world is run by buffoons.

No, scrap that, I could probably go to Uganda. The government there seems pretty sure covid isn't an issue, despite the booming coffin trade.

So up until this week, the worlds scientific community weren't sure if vaccines make it so that you can no longer spread Covid or not.

https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2021/3/14/22327524/pfizer-vaccine-asymptomatic-transmission-data

At the moment it looks like the Pfizer vaccine will more or less prevent the spread of Covid along with stopping the effects of the disease.

That being said, I keep running into people on social media who seem to believe that getting the Vaccination means that the Pandemic no longer applies to them and that now the world is greatly inconveniencing them by not going back to 2019.

Like I stopped following someone who was just liking posts by a Liberterian type who was saying that after he gets his vaccinations, all pubs should just open and refuse entry from anyone who doesn't have a vaccination passport.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I have to be honest. Having to stay sober, go into pubs and interact with the drunk denizens is my idea of Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Completely apropos of nothing but back I played Metal Gear Solid as a wee nipper I had no idea this song wasn't Japanese so it's only now in 2021 I realise it's a) definitely not Japanese b) in Gaelic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upIVMjnEm9c

Ah yes "The Best Is Yet To Come."

A hauntingly beautiful piece of music.
I lobbied hard for this to be one of the songs played at our wedding but my wife vetoed it.

In the end we went with more traditional wedding songs. "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" (Elvis, lots of people), "Le Vie En Rose" (Édith Piaf) and "Home" (Edward Sharp & Magnetic Zeroes).

We both super agreed on our wedding dance which was "Come and Get Your Love" (Redbone) as Guardians of the Galaxy was the film of our courtship.