Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I can appreciate why larping in its current form doesn't seem appealing. I know several trans people through larping for whom the hobby was an important part of coming out and exploring who they are, but a lot of larp systems were made in the old days of "dump everyone in a field and wing it, also rip off a bunch of D&D", entirely by physically-able white guys, while newer systems are made by the people who play those games, so a lot of systems are set up for physical contact, lots of movement, basically playing it loosey-goosey with a lot of things and retrofitting game mechanics and company policies to account for the world moving on and the hobby including a lot more people than basic-rear end white guys, when the whole thing needs a fresh look by a new generation.

I've put some idle thought into how a modernised system could work, including how to make a combat system that's fun and involving but entirely non-contact and suitable for people with mobility issues. The entire hobby needs a fresh set of eyes creating the content they want to see, but there's a much bigger investment to get it off the ground than writing or running a tabletop campaign, so we're not there yet at all.

There have been several attempts at this - Regenesis was written with accessibility in mind to pick an example I'm somewhat aware of and there have been some others. Wing and a Prayer for another quite tightly focussed game (WWII UK air defense game where all the player roles were fem-presenting).

It's not been done at large fest scale, but I'm not sure how it could be - we try and do a mix of accessibility options at Empire and signpost the requirements, but it's ultimately a big battle game with camping, so it's not as inclusive as it could be.

Of course, we'll have to see how much of the hobby survives this past year of being shut down and what comes next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Some of the comments under that article though! (Haven't read them all.)
My wealthy brother has always said the FT is left wing.

I do keep hearing of people who read Capital and go "yes, more of that please"