Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Christ is it march already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I think you're describing military school

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ayyyyyyy passed all of my first semester projects! got a 2.2 and two 2.1s with very positive feedback - i'm well pleased :3:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

this finally got me to go and check the marks for mine and its pretty good. of the 3 modules 1 had 100% of its marks for the single bit of work, 1 had 60% for the single project and 40% of the group project and the marking on the single project was properly hosed so i only got 47%. The final module was split into 24% for a peer assessed but of owrk, 6% for group work and 70% for the main coursework. got 47/70 for the main coursework, 6/6 for the grouip and then got hosed on the peer review that i've contested

nice bud! team "retreat back into academia to hide from plauge" kicking rear end

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

i've been proper making GBS threads getting the marks back for these because its the first time i've done any report/essay writing in a long time

yeah same, it was genuinely quite difficult to get back into the swing of it. feeling more confident now though!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

see i can blast out 2k words on something i've done easily just going full steam of consciousness. it just needs a ton of editing which i'm bad at and anything over 2k words starts to become a struggle

we had courses on structuring essays and poo poo, it was great

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i thought Salmond was accused of sexual misconduct but they couldn't prove it - i even want to say he acknowledged he had been behaving inappropriately, it was just that they couldn't demonstrate it criminally. he did not get an "innocent" verdict back i want to say?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
"sleepy cuddle" will haunt my nightmares

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's genuinely dumb as a dual citizen, particularly so given my canadian side is VERY irish catholic - i'm white english, white irish, and white other i guess? and they never are checkbox, always radial.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

Are nations just made up to annoy forums poster CoolCab?

it sometimes feels that way

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i was wondering why you'd empty quoted yourself lmao i was getting all :tinfoil:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

Labour shadow ministers unable to say they support strike action sure makes me proud to have left the Labour Party.

same. honestly, i have a mate who's a labour councillor - genuine good lefty - but i am of two minds if i'll be able to swallow my pride and vote for labour in may.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i think of all the indignities and apocalyptic dystopia theming i've enjoyed this year, the first clap was the most profoundly alienating and frightening (i was working in the NHS at the time). that was the moment i was sure i was in a film somehow, in the worst possible way.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
huh finally got a "hey do you wanna join the labour party" email which presumably means they've worked out i've left at some point

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
regular printing didn't kill M:tG. neither did high end counterfeiting really - wizards doesn't make money selling cards, they sell analogue loot boxes and tournament infrastructure.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what is with british people and suddenly becoming thesaurus fuckers when you've made them mad. i swear to christ someone called me a bore the other day, like we'd stumbled in from some agonizing victorian period drama.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what a pugnacious rapscallion, a british person says growing increasingly red - dreadful bores and poppycocks

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Failed Imagineer posted:

This definitely is a thing that happens, but imo bore is a short enough word that yeah it sounds toff but not Rees-Mogg level :wotwot: . Not sufficiently sesquipedalian, me does't thunk

i feel like if your threshold for "is a thing excessively fancy, old fashioned or stuck up" is "would jacob rees mogg do it" we are going to wind up with radically different lists.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i guess, does it matter what starmer does or doesn't do at this point? he'd be competing with loving lazarus if he could revive the party's chances in may.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
hey i mean, he has made cops look incredibly bad at more or less the worst time imaginable for it in terms of anti-police sentiment. it might just be plain retaliation.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
someone posted this in another thread, it's cool. hey, feel lovely about our nation's interaction with Myanmar for exceedingly, exceedingly compelling reasons here's an opportunity to express some international solidarity. particularly if you have complicated feelings over what was called "the scottish colony":

https://www.gofundme.com/f/abftu

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

XMNN posted:

you're being extremely uncharitable their response has gone much further than a single candle

there's at least two now

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1370823318866104321?s=19

oh don't worry she's really going hard now

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1370840524677079040?s=20

probably gonna say "goodness, what's happening!" and "we're better than this!" soon, too. watch the gently caress out.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pistol_Pete posted:

Even the Tory press are all wtf about this. Astonishingly braindead strategy from the Met.

who is going to hold them to account for this? loving kiere starmer? he's going to put out a message saying that clearly the violence was caused by a shortage of police and angela rayner is going to post a picture of a brutalized protester with "yauusssss slay queen for supporting your democratic rights".

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

They have finally put it on their news homepage, only a couple of hours late.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1370846515032375300?s=20

fortunate that the vigil was unsafe, otherwise the police would look like total loving psychopaths

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Convex posted:

Wtf how the hell do you make traveling illegal :ughh:

well the euro step took a long time to reach widespread acceptance in north american ball, so

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it can be political without being political, divorcing any decision from being political is folly. i am woefully inadequate in the internal power politics of norway, but i would put literally any quantity of money on there being some active agitating from the population and/or media for this decision, that the medical body that made this decision was subject to this and other political pressures and that the decisions are, of course, politically influenced. like everything else.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
there will be scares and false starts and insane politicization and nationalism as there has been this entire pandemic, as there has been with every pandemic. it was never a "spanish" flu.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

Wasn't that because Spain was the first country to say "hey has anyone else had a bunch of excess deaths?" back when nobody else wanted to say first because of the war efforts?

yes, they were the only ones willing to report it and as such everyone went "oh word?! crazy this flu from you guys is totally loving us over goddamn loving Spaniards!". recent scholarship puts the actual patient 0 as coming from a kansas mustering base iirc.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

sassassin posted:

Mum's getting hers next week so we're still a long way from my age bracket round here. Maybe next year.

i doubt it bud, i suspect we're going to have more vaccines than arms very soon (if not already). they're advancing down the stack so they don't need to deal with people who are for whatever reason resistant, but that ratio will increase with time. healthy and well people are the most likely to wind up antivaxx and all this press coverage is not helping the oxford vaccine.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

big scary monsters posted:

Some bizarre posting in the last few pages. JA is quite right that there is a bunch of ageism expressed here from time to time, pages 76-78 are a good example. I know it's tempting and cathartic to just blame the over-60s for the country being poo poo, but I feel like the thread has gone full AshCrimson with pensioners in place of the English. Try and recall the much repeated arguments on why blaming every English person for the Tories is probably not fair and maybe see if there are any parallels here.

i guess - i am resistant to the thread taking on some abstract character and us all being complicit with some people behaving uncomradely. we are a collection of individual posters, not some hivemind. i don't like it, it ain't my fault the thread is bad sometimes (unlike when i post in it) and that some people lead by example by welcoming people of all ages to this thread and not engaging when people don't behave that way. with that said i absolutely understand why JA would highlight this and would hope we can all try and do a little better in future?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

radmonger posted:

Estimated time to the Milkshake Duck moment for the NIP?

84 days seems long.

well i mean we're running the remain continuity candidate and remain would have won the last election so labour can't lose, right?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

Oh and I think there was jbrereton.

jbrereton was funny and i never understood the backlash against them (the only time i've ever spent money on SA was to rebuy their account). i wish we tolerated funny posters better, in the abstract.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
politely, what on earth did pissflaps have to do with anything. how on earth could i reach the stage of missing pissflaps, i hear more about that fucker from this thread these days then i did when he posted.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

Also politely, but you definitely didn't.
it feels that way sometimes! i don't care what he's up to and i am so tired of the comparison being the first thing that posters itt whip out - it was overdone a full year+ ago. my personal preferred strategy of politely ignoring it has catastrophically failed - please could we shut up about him? i went back to look for how long it's been since he was banned (year and a half) and there have been twenty seven loving pages of search results for just his name, ignoring the catchphrase nicknames, the overwhelming majority from this thread - we talk about corybn living rent free in people's heads, christ.

Jedit posted:

Talking about how he's making GBS threads up people's actual lives, posing as other goons in the process, is important.
some prick is on twitter is not news, neither is some twitter user being a danger - no one is being protected here in any meaningful sense, certainly not by vapid comparisons to a long permaed poster. and in fact i am informed as i tragically have constantly been that he's banned from twitter, soon i'll be hearing about his alts on twitter - christ. write an SAclopedia entry like the other trillion weirdos have had and can we please collectively move on.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

I will never mention Pissflaps again if you stop acting like the Scottish independence movement is on a par with ethnonationalist regimes, deal?

bud, and i again i am trying honey rather than vinnegar, this is the talking about scottish independence's character thread. this is not the pissflaps thread, no matter how he tried or the rest of us apparently got bloody Stockholm syndrome'd into trying for him. i appreciate you making an olive branch but i wouldn't raise this issue publicly if it was just you, or just a few posters even - this problem is endemic.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

We don't have sex robots in the north we have greggs pasties.

marginally higher risk of getting your bellend burnt but less of getting it stuck in a servo. a complex trade, for sure.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

The idea people won't mention the byword for bad posting in UKMT as a reference point to bad posters because it makes you irked is silly, and this has only gone on as long as it has because a) I'm a bad poster who has to get the last word in and b) you can't see a mention of his name without jumping on it and letting everyone know you have reading about him. We know already.

i've literally, literally never raised this, once, in the year and a half it's been going on. what are you on about.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

In that case I apologise. Must have confused you with someone else. Possibly Twisto? (Sorry if I'm wrong Twisto) My memory is garbage except for completely irrelevant nonsense that no one needs to remember.

oh, fair enough. yeah my preferred solution is generally to not engage with it - bad posting is bad on it's own merit and generally it burns itself out. it's been a loving year and a half already, even if it was once a week (i think someone is being extremely generous with that assessment) i am so, so tired of the "pissflaps" catchphrase.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure there has ever been such a sense of forum wide unity honestly.

We should find more people to try in forums court, for fun.

alright, on that topic, here's the other thing i wrote on it this week

quote:

allow me to tell a story about this thread.

not that long ago a regular in here posted something in another thread that they were banned for. the post in question included a phrase that, it turns out, had a racial connotation. when the poster came back here they were repeatedly attacked for this horrific, racist attack – that we couldn’t possibly allow such a vile bigot in our thread. it escalated, and escalated and escalated – the poster in question obviously reacted to being called a racist with panicked denials of knowing anything about this racial connotation thus proving conclusively how they actually were a racist troll and their behaviour had been in bad faith the entire time. posters came out of the woodwork to loudly decry racism and the poster in question including lots of very compelling catchphrases and statements about how racism is intolerable (and, implicitly, as such the poster in question is intolerable).

at the time this all came as a pretty significant surprise to me as I also had absolutely no idea the phrase in question had a racial connotation, given it turned up in pop culture with absolutely no implied connotation whatsoever – in fact, after researching it a bit it turns out the specific racial connotation is regional and the poster, like myself, genuinely could have no understanding that they were doing something wrong. and dogpiling on them for this mistake had clearly caused them distress and lead to the panicked behaviour that supposedly proved they were another pissflaps. I contacted the relevant mod and went to bat for this other poster – something I haven’t done before or since – because this thread had catastrophically failed to behave in a comradely fashion to an innocent mistake. had I not this person would have been banned, maybe even threadbanned.

and hey you want to know the real punchline? after all of this happened, after this poster had been repeatedly painted as an ignorant bigot, two of the posters who had most whipped up the thread to take action also admitted they originally had no idea that the phrase had a racial connotation! which makes sense given it wasn’t from our region but hey - they saw a mistake that they themselves could have easily made and went “clearly, this person is utter garbage and it is my responsibility to cast them out” which I have personally always found illuminating as far as goon psychology goes. and without calling anyone specifically out, I can observe that the same people could be making the same mistakes to this day.

I ain’t going to bat for any particular poster specifically – really, genuinely, and sincerely, but if you wanna know why I will always, always be suspicious of these efforts there it is.

and that's this thread! only surpassing our self contradiction with our self loathing. but we feel like we're together when we punish ourselves for it. i think about this story when i interact with this thread a lot.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tesseraction posted:

So if Labour eat poo poo in this by-election and then in the locals, how will the Guardian blame Owen Jones?

Trash Future this week has Kesvani talking about how he went to check on the die-hard Starmer twitter bubble and how they were almost talking as if Starmer didn't exist, instead focusing on grievances about CLPs and the ever-present danger of the Owen Jones.

better longevity with making jones a boogieman i suppose. optics of kicking an old man not optimal, much better to target a mouthy minority.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

they will probably unironically blame the NIP, label them corbynism continued and talk about how antisemetic it is to oppose labour.

they'd never say the latter, that would imply the conservatives can be antisemitic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I was watching bake off, what did he say?

it's recorded, you can rewatch. thus far that i've watched is mostly him whining about SNP having inappropriate communication with witnesses