Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Supaflywallace posted:

Just in the Apartment breakout from the police god that's a tough level. Also feeling kinda like the fleshrats are just the worst things ever

There's an alternate exit that makes it WAY easier. I probably had the most attempts on that mission before finishing it the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Haven't touched a single player fps in 10+ years but this one reeled me in. I don't know if I have the strength of spirit to hunt down all the extra junk for the alt endings but I got a great 10-15 hours out of it. Grappendix #1 implant, killed me more often than any enemy but it's impossible to give up once you get the hang of being external intestines spider man.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any easier way of getting "cursed" than to go to the secret area in the HQ and set your resolution to 640x480?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

Is there any easier way of getting "cursed" than to go to the secret area in the HQ and set your resolution to 640x480?

That's the easiest one.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's the easiest one.

Figured that was the case, thanks. Was just curious since it's so easy to establish Divine link once you have the final level unlocked.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
You can also just equip the Cursed Torch and then enter and exit any mission.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

These fish prices are weird. FLSH is at 2765% and CIV is at 5345%. I should have bought in earlier.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do I use arm items like the medkit?

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

"Tertiary weapon" key (3 by default). It least that's what works for grenades and the radio, not actually got the medkit yet.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So.... how do you actually kill the guy at the end of the Cruelty Squad HQ stage?
I've followed a guide, and pick up the ZKZ on the way, as well as have about 950k in stocks, but he just eats every bullet without flinching, as well as every bullet from any other weapon on the stage I can scrounge together.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

So.... how do you actually kill the guy at the end of the Cruelty Squad HQ stage?
I've followed a guide, and pick up the ZKZ on the way, as well as have about 950k in stocks, but he just eats every bullet without flinching, as well as every bullet from any other weapon on the stage I can scrounge together.

Knock him out with the usually useless tranq gun and then unload with the Bolt ACR.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Groovelord Neato posted:

Knock him out with the usually useless tranq gun and then unload with the Bolt ACR.

Yeah I stumbled across that tactic when watching some speedruns of the level. Interesting strategy, but then again this is an interesting game.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

Broken Cog posted:

The ZKZ unlocks its full potential at 1 million in holdings (combination stocks, fish, and organs). Get a few more rare fish on hand and that should push you over the limit. Once you reach it, the ZKZ will one-hit kill literally anything that isn't armored, that guy included.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
I thought the bog level had no music until I paid closer attention

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I got to the last not secret level and this sure is a level. Really loving this game overall, it’s the perfect amount of weird.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wow, the last secret level is not messing around. Half the time here, I'm not even sure what killed me.

Is going out the main entrance just a trap?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I really appreciate that you can strafe jump in this game

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried this for about an hour and I have an opinion but I'm not sure if it's positive or not.

Accidentally opening the stock market and buying 100 livers in the middle of a gunfight, finding a fishing rod and chatting with a fisherman as I catch fish, the droning music, the creepy faces and the colours I stopped even noticing... :psyduck:

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Acerbatus posted:

I tried this for about an hour and I have an opinion but I'm not sure if it's positive or not.

Accidentally opening the stock market and buying 100 livers in the middle of a gunfight, finding a fishing rod and chatting with a fisherman as I catch fish, the droning music, the creepy faces and the colours I stopped even noticing... :psyduck:

Cruelty squad is a unique emotion.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

level 4, Androgen Assault, is amazing. just a huge easy to get lost in house with dozens of rooms filled with weird poo poo

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I don't know what came over me (ceo mindset) but I went from being stuck on Paradise last night to beating the entire game in one sitting. Kind of nuts how much stuff I missed. Looking over the wiki, I'm not surprised on a lot of this stuff, but I never even figured out how to fish

It was fun once I got the hang of things, but I'm not sure how much of the extra stuff I wanna go back and do. The dark world where you need to use the flashlight kind of sucked and it seems like S-rank requirements for a lot of levels hinge on using the Abominator

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

heres my steam review which i posted in a competing thread which i thought was the real one. i love this game a lot.

quote:

if you grew up in the 90s, you've probably been here before. not physically, but this place exists inside your heart. the superheated nightmare of the VHS era, the ugly quaintness of windows 98, the sanitized horror of stomach stapling. maybe you've been here in a nightmare, or maybe the place just sits dormant inside you, like a tumor waiting to be diagnosed.

cruelty squad is comforting in the same way as that diagnosis; even though it's bad news, there's kind of a peace in knowing for sure.

the game itself is very fun. it's kind of a combination of deus ex, hitman, and syndicate. you explore strange levels and assassinate strange targets. it's quite challenging, the enemies are reasonable shots and do a lot of damage, but it's fair. there's an emphasis on stealth, but it's not a mission fail if you're detected, it just becomes more challenging. you can outshoot one enemy, but many will be a problem for you.

the variety comes from the large roster of weapons and implants you can pick from, which enable different approaches. pretty much everything is viable, and even goofy seeming weapons have their uses. you can wade in wearing your nightmarish battlesuit and flamethrower everyone on the level, or you can use your intestines to grapple to the top of the tower, kick the target to death, then die to a three foot drop because you replaced all your bones with breadsticks so you could move faster. I like the pistol that damages your target's DNA so much they explode into an abstract sculpture of viscera, which you can then use to platform on.

the visual style of the game is painstakingly crafted to be as ugly and strange as possible. the majority of the textures are hand drawn, the rest being made up of heavily processed photos. it means the game looks something like a deep-fried meme. despite that, it's not muddy or confusing, everything is still very readable as enemy or friendly, except for in a handful of areas that are intended to be confusing.

the music ranges between 'having a fever dream on the couch while the SNES is still on' and 'dead muppets sing in a choir', which helps the surreal atmosphere hugely. the only time it became intrusive was on the first level, where part of the backing track sounded a lot like gunfire which was a bit confusing.

the level design is both very fun to play and strangely upsetting and scary, like if you ever clipped outside the level in a normal shooter as a child and got freaked out because you found a bunch of blurry, empty rooms and felt trapped and lost. realistic environments blend seamlessly into strangeness, leaving you with a feeling like at any second reality is going to lift away like a peeled off scab. there are many secrets, from alternate routes of attack, to hidden weapons, to full on hidden levels. they are fun to find, but easy to miss, which adds replay value to the levels.

in general there are a great many secrets and strange game mechanics which are generally not signposted for you, it's a case of discovery. none of it is vital for just completing the game, so you aren't frustrated trying to figure something out so you can progress, it is all hidden side stuff.

for fans of gorbino's quest there are also a lot of links to the gorbino canon in this game, so don't be surprised if you find a lot of stuff about this game on the various gorbino fan wikis and theory boards. make sure you talk to all the npcs you can to pick up all the nuggets of gorbino lore. there could even be hints about gorbino's quest 2 in here, i've only just started to dive in.

please buy and play cruelty squad. i heard nothing about the game leading up to its release, i dont know anything about the circumstances of its creation, i just saw the name on steam one day and decided to buy it, and it shone a light directly into my heart

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fantastic review.

mistermojo posted:

level 4, Androgen Assault, is amazing. just a huge easy to get lost in house with dozens of rooms filled with weird poo poo

Also you're murking cops.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, the implant that makes you tiny. Is it useful anywhere outside of the police station level? And even there it's seemingly just so you get to talk with another weird NPC.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Broken Cog posted:

So, the implant that makes you tiny. Is it useful anywhere outside of the police station level? And even there it's seemingly just so you get to talk with another weird NPC.

it enables you to take some routes that otherwise you wouldnt be able to, but i dont find it to be super useful

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I really like that you cant climb stairs when crouched. thats a very nice touch. the game is just full of these little ideas and mechanics and I swear headshotting people is meant to feel like CS 1.6, just like moving around and throwing objects is meant to feel like Deus Ex

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Old CS is a pretty good comparison but whoever said it was Rainbow Six hit the nail on the head and I didn't realize how much I'd missed that game and Rogue Spear.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Discussion > Games > Cruelty Squad - blacksuppositoried and debased

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yesterday i visited Neuron Activator for the first time, saw the club's interior, went "hm" to myself, and then left and came back with a flamethrower

how can something be so bad but feel so good

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

repiv posted:

Discussion > Games > Cruelty Squad - blacksuppositoried and debased

someone get a mod to change the thread title

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if i had to sum up cruelty squad's je ne sais quoi in one mechanic it'd be how you can cook gibbed humans with the flamethrower and eat the pieces for a health boost, and that doing this does not require you to have the cannibalism perk

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Oxxidation posted:

if i had to sum up cruelty squad's je ne sais quoi in one mechanic it'd be how you can cook gibbed humans with the flamethrower and eat the pieces for a health boost, and that doing this does not require you to have the cannibalism perk

you can cook them on a grill in paradise too

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

More like Rainbow Six Six Six

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I 'beat' the game. It was very good and I really liked it. though some levels seemed surprisingly easy and simple, like the cruise ship or bog or the apartment escape. maybe its because I have spent countless hours playing every Half Life mod I could find. now time to fish or maybe finally figure out the stocks to buy everything

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i just finished the actual final level and one complaint is that the last few stages and especially the hardmode versions are too reliant on armored enemies. there's maybe three guns that can reliably kill them and combined with every enemy's extremely large vision cone and precision aim it sort of limits your options for each stage if you're not ninja enough to avoid every single hit

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mistermojo posted:

I 'beat' the game. It was very good and I really liked it. though some levels seemed surprisingly easy and simple, like the cruise ship or bog or the apartment escape. maybe its because I have spent countless hours playing every Half Life mod I could find. now time to fish or maybe finally figure out the stocks to buy everything

it took me embarassingly long to figure out how to escape cruise ship. Especially because if you try and walk along the deck you'll just explode after ten seconds

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

this game is amazing. 10/10. just found the mine level and am so confused. i love it

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is it even possible to get higher than C rank on the HQ level?
I finished it in around 22 seconds on HE mode, but still got that.

Edit: So I've managed S-rank on every other mission/difficulty other than Bog Business (HE normal/stock) and Trauma Loop (normal mode normal/stock), anyone got some tips for these?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 11, 2021

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Just finished it again on hope eradicated and really enjoyed the extra challenge. This game is a blast and I unironically love the art style and soundtrack, even bog business which is just someone sloshing water in a toilet bowl, fits well.

The guy that made it seems like an interesting dude
https://twitter.com/villecallio/status/1407957959334891525

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the person quoted in that tweet is the type to unironically use the term "hope-punk" and i hope they get a plantar wart