Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011
Here is the next batch of pages. Doing the end of the world is something I really wanted to draw when I started. But I worry my art is plateauing. I also changed the mom's hair half way through. at some point I'll go back and re-upload those pages with her bun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

That's really good and quite the cliffhanger. I remember seeing this thread bumped maybe half a year ago and thought I wanted to get around to reading it though I forgot. About how many "pages" would you estimate the entire comic is at now?

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011
its currently something like 220 pages long. But it's also not the heaviest when it comes to dialogue so its a decently quick read. Thanks for checking it out.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011
Here is really the end of the narrative for this issue, I started off with this as 1 story in a 3 part issue, but realized I needed to spend more time on the destruction of the world. so that's what everything after this will be.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011
I really like these 2 pages. I feel like they have some decent power to them. and when they're on a spread it reads across. But I think it works well both ways.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011
I reject the idea of page economy. I want the shock white pages right before this. This effect will also, probably only really work in paper.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

If the world is gonna end, it has to end in the most over the top sort of way. and the only thing i could think of that might hold that kind of power is just a series of double page spreads. I still have to draw the last 2 spreads and the cover. But I think these have some fine work in them.

Mac9k5 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 21, 2022

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011
I realized that if i spend too long in these flashback issues I lose the plot. so I'm gonna add an epilogue. But I really like these last two spreads.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
This stuff looks fabulous, dude. Great work.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

Sundae posted:

Oh man! thank you so much!

Here is the last page. The cover is taking much longer than I thought, but it'll get there. I didn't plan out this when I first thumbnailed it, but reading it after I thought it was done, it really feels like it needs an epilogue and to show the framing device a little sooner than I originally planned.

(this page has a dumb spelling error I will fix later)

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Sundae posted:

Agreed!

Mac9k5 posted:

Oh man! thank you so much!

Here is the last page. The cover is taking much longer than I thought, but it'll get there. I didn't plan out this when I first thumbnailed it, but reading it after I thought it was done, it really feels like it needs an epilogue and to show the framing device a little sooner than I originally planned.

If this is the last last page as opposed to the last of the chapter, it could use a wrapping up page, even if it's just a cliche "sure kids, but that's a story for another day". But I say that as despite intending to start from the beginning I haven't yet (I'm sorry, but I plan on it! I enjoy it too much not to!).

I still really love your art and storytelling from the half of it that I've seen!

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

Twenty Four posted:

Agreed!

If this is the last last page as opposed to the last of the chapter, it could use a wrapping up page, even if it's just a cliche "sure kids, but that's a story for another day". But I say that as despite intending to start from the beginning I haven't yet (I'm sorry, but I plan on it! I enjoy it too much not to!).

I still really love your art and storytelling from the half of it that I've seen!

Oh, This is the last page of this issue, but not the story. it’s about 1/3 of the way through the story. Still quite a bit to go.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Mac9k5 posted:

Oh, This is the last page of this issue, but not the story. it’s about 1/3 of the way through the story. Still quite a bit to go.

:nice:

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

Finished painting the cover. and am currently writing Issue 6.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011
Started issue 6. I don't paint the cover right away. But I think this story will be pretty good. I am firmly up my own rear end with all these prequels, but I swear they will tie back into the story, I think they're needed.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

If a boy and his bug goes the way of a boy and his dog and the bug eats the boy's girlfriend, I won't be even a little sorry, hah.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

Twenty Four posted:

If a boy and his bug goes the way of a boy and his dog and the bug eats the boy's girlfriend, I won't be even a little sorry, hah.

Ya know… there might be some cannibalism in this issue, only time can tell.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011
I've been drawing more of Issue 6. I don't know if I like the truck spread. but I think the rest of it is hitting the mood pretty well.

Mac9k5 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 21, 2023

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011
as John is hit in the face, we, the audience, are hit in the face with the plot, of being hit in the face.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011
Here is where it gets slow but interesting... hopefully interesting.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

Man, We hit the big twist horror moment. I'm gonna try and pick up the pace and have this thing ready for San Diego Comic Con... hopefully.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

I just think this spread came out pretty well.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011
Here is the end of this issue. Trying to make revenge, but too much?

I uploaded the cover to be at the start of the issue on this thread. I don't love it, but sometimes ya just have to move on.

Mac9k5 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 21, 2023

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I know this thread doesn't get much feedback, but I'm still reading and enjoying it when the updates get posted here.

I'm completely incapable of producing anything much beyond stick figures when it comes to visual art, so my opinion might not mean much, but I am still really impressed by the art quality of the art here. It's hard to believe that its, as far as I understand, a relatively unknown indie comic.

Again, thanks for posting!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Twenty Four posted:

I know this thread doesn't get much feedback, but I'm still reading and enjoying it when the updates get posted here.

I'm completely incapable of producing anything much beyond stick figures when it comes to visual art, so my opinion might not mean much, but I am still really impressed by the art quality of the art here. It's hard to believe that its, as far as I understand, a relatively unknown indie comic.

Extremely echoing this.

If you collect this into a single volume you’ve got my money for it.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

Twenty Four posted:

Thank you so much for reading and the kind words. they really do keep the spirit high when it comes to making these comics. Maybe someday it won't be so unknown...

Jordan7hm posted:

Extremely echoing this.

If you collect this into a single volume you’ve got my money for it.

I have the first 4 in a trade paper back, but yeah. when it's all done, I wanna do one of those phone book sized collections. but that's years off.

I gotta finish some other art stuff, and then I'll start work on issue 7. gimme a month or two and I'll have some issue 7 for ya'll.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

Hiatus is over, I'm drawing the next issue. This will be the last "Flash back" issue, I hope this long backstory is interesting. I really wanted to create a Golden Age like in Berserk. But a flashback that doesn't work is a real drag. . . anyway, it's almost done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

This is a personal project, and trying to do art for work does slow it down a lot... anyway, here are some more pages.