Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Getting medication for your ADHD will probably help with not becoming completely out-of-your-mind overwhelmed by intense junk food cravings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

Depending on the medication you take yeah, methylphenidate (ritalin) has a very common side effect of suppressing appetite.

I'm in an unmedicated glass house here, I've just been told that medication helps with whatever chemical imbalance makes you eat a good food and go, "oh! this is the only thing I'm going to eat for every meal for at least the next two weeks, but possibly for as long as I can get away with it." Or whatever it is that makes you suddenly crave a certain, very specific food, and until you get that food it just starts taking up more and more of your brainspace until all you can think about is how badly you want a McGriddle for some goddamn reason and none of your homemade breakfast sandwiches are cutting it.

Fortunately for me (kinda), I tend to eat nothing but caprese for weeks at a time rather than KFC. But if Ry can't find a healthier food that trips his "this is all I want to eat now" button, being unmedicated is going to be a constant source of self-sabotage.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

If you buy an Instant Pot, you can also buy a small stainless steel bowl to put inside it, which will allow you to cook single-serving versions of meals using shelf-stable ingredients. I used to do something similar with a rice cooker, but I can't speak to how well a rice cooker works with other grains. Single servings means no leftovers to refrigerate, though it's more of a pain than bulk-cooking and eating leftovers. It does allow for more variety day to day.

Dry grains, dry beans, and canned beans are shelf stable. So is tuna, and canned chicken. Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, garlic, onions, winter squashes, and avocado do not need to be refrigerated. Neither do spices, oils, vinegar, or buillion cubes. With these ingredients, plus either a rice cooker or instant pot, you can make yourself some basic meals despite lacking fridge access.