Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

Behold lentil snot.

This happened when I attempted to cook lentil soup with flaxseed at the same time rather than adding the flaxseed afterward.

I also made a nice flaxseed pea pudding by mixing flaxseed with pea protein powder in a coffee mug. The mug only had enough room to turn the powder into a paste like substance and I'd add flax seeds.

A simple lentil recipe would be great.

That looks like natto.

So, my go to for quick and easy salads is a lettuce mix, carrots, and a cruciferous veggie like broccoli or cauliflower, use that as a base and then add a protein, chicken, tuna (those single serve pouches would be good for your situation) chickpeas, whatever floats your boat, they make pretty tasty plant based renditions of breaded chicken product now (help scratch that particular itch), it's not like the best food safety wise but if you buy it frozen it'll keep for a couple days, long enough to use it. There's a lot of low-fat/low-carb greek yogurt based dressings now that are tasty and healthy.

Edamame keeps ok and makes a good snack or addition to a meal.

Are there any local farms that sell eggs around you? If you can get unwashed eggs they'll keep at room temperature for a couple weeks, good hard boiled in salads or fried up with a soy protein sausage patty.

I recommend getting a Lifetime brand cooler from Walmart, they're good quality and cheap, rotomolded in the US by the same dudes that make the kayaks, even if you don't use it as a cooler per-se you can store veggies and stuff in there to protect them from pests, animals, and the full heat of a summer's day.

It looks like a little 12V cooler draws about 60W when running, if you get a couple of those affordable 100W solar panel kits they should be able to keep your battery topped off while running the cooler during the day when you're not on shore power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Cauliflower mash is a good carb alternative too, and easy to make, just boil cauliflower until soggy, heat the mash up to remove some moisture, little butter, little cheese, yum.

Chickpea pasta tastes good and is low on the glycemic index, boil some, add veggies, maybe a little salami or faux salami toss in a vinaigrette for a nice, nutritious pasta salad.

Parboiled rice (minute rice and such) is interesting, because it's low on the glycemic index, meaning it doesn't spike your blood sugar, non parboiled rice is some of the highest glycemic index food there is (besides, like sugar)

In general things that have a low glycemic index will spike your blood sugar less than things with a high GI, so keep that in mind when shopping.

Do you have a blood sugar tester still? You need one, figure out how your blood sugar reacts to different food.

Also buy a diabetic cookbook, they have ones you can download on your phone, that'll be a good starting point.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

If it pays better, take it, if management wants to keep you, tell them to pay you more. DO NOT be your normal pushover self.

I've known a number of dudes that have lived on sailboats, it's surprisingly practical, and moorage is usually similar to rent, way better than a dang truck, especially if it has a galley, you could sell the truk and get a nice little car.

Here's a recipe for an awesome orange chicken sauce (ignore the air fryer chicken part) that'll hit all those General Tso's sweet and spicy and Umami notes, with decent amounts of sugar and salt https://litecravings.com/air-fryer-orange-chicken/