Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Rytheric posted:

I will look into that, but is there an alternative for rice?

When I was testing things when I first became diabetic, I tested how my body responded to my lentil medley which included brown rice and my blood sugar spiked to 213 after an hour. A large little Caesars pizza for comparison spikes it to 256 and knocks me out to the point I need to take a nap.

My normal blood sugar is roughly 135. Drops to 116 after a 24 hours fast. I also find that the glycemic index works. So if there is a low glycemic rice alternative that would be great.

Edit: now that I reflect on it, my tests are the reason I started downing buckets of chicken as the chicken would only spike my blood sugar to 160. The Mac n cheese I added last month probably didn't help my diabetes though.

Barley apparently has a super-low glycemic index, and you can make a simple but very tasty barley stew by boiling it with a ham hock and some vegetables.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic-index-and-glycemic-load-for-100-foods

For bread, maybe try pumpernickel or something similar, that's really grainy. I'm pretty sure that's what they mean on that list by "specialty grain bread".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

mediaphage posted:

salt is like sugar in that once you get used to eating a lot of salt it becomes desirable to eat more and things taste bland without. step back for a while and you will reset your tastebuds.

this isn’t reinforced biochemically like the human response to sugar is, it’s mostly a mental thing.

Yeah this. I've known people who ate no salt at all for a month for shamanic reasons or something, and at the end they found even the tiniest amount of salt was enough for them.

Ry, if you make your own food, there are things you can add that will scratch the salt itch, like garlic or low-sodium salt.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Drone posted:

He doesn't, and he hasn't really elucidated why.

He said he's working seven-day weeks or something. Also IIRC he literally has no means of cooking right now?

Ry, isn't your boss renting you a room? Can you use the kitchen?

And the suggestion another goon made of getting an instant pot is a good one. They're not particularly expensive (compared to what you're spending on fast food), and will allow you to make healthy meals with very minimal hands-on time.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Rytheric posted:

Just mainly it's fallen out of habit and stress at work. I use to cook in college. But it was more bodybuilding type meals. Bacon eggs toast, salad for lunch, then chicken or hamburger, rice, and broccoli for dinner everyday.

I fell out of it cause I was on the road all the time and couldn't keep it. My fruit and stuff would all rot in the summer. Then when I started office work I felt I couldn't keep on top of things if I took time to wait in line to shop then spend an hour or so cooking compared to just driving up to a window and getting it.

So the trick to dealing with this is to take 30 minutes on the weekend to make a meal plan for the week, and then do one shopping trip (or online grocery order) for the whole week. You can make this even simpler by assigning the same meal to the same day every week, like Wednesday is always barley stew night, Tuesday is tacos, or whatever. That way most of your grocery shopping will be the same week to week, which will make it quicker.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Rytheric posted:

I can, but I'm discouraged from doing so. Not by my boss, but from his fiance. I had 3 shacker cups in the fridge and she acted like that was too much of the fridge space taken up.

So you have two options:

1. Have a very frank but gentle discussion with your boss and his fiance together about how you are eating fast food all the time and will literally die if you keep doing that. Then ask, gently, to be able to use the kitchen. Offer to set up and abide by rules around this - this is how much fridge space you can take, dishes get cleaned immediately after they're used, etc.

2. Move the gently caress out and get your own place. And not your loving box truck.

Seriously, how much is this guy paying you for working seven day weeks?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Rytheric posted:

I will look into making general tzus its my favor chicken flavor.

In regards to the apartment issue. I had several apartments in the area refuse me when I moved here based on the kohl's credit card and the credit card I paid after the burning event as they were defaulted. I dont think anything counts as defaulted anymore.

So when are you going to start apartment hunting? (Or modular hunting?)

Also please post more about your boss/landlord's food that you refuse to eat because it's so much more unhealthy than two buckets of KFC.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Ardemia posted:

If you do try it, I would recommend mixing the corn starch separately with the base water (as hot as possible) then add the corn starch water to the other ingredients.

JFC this is not how you use cornstarch. It's almost right, but cornstarch:

a) thickens up with heat (so don't mix it with hot water)
b) goes lumpy if you try to mix it in too much water at once (so don't mix it with the full amount of water)

The trick to cornstarch is to mix it in a small amount of cold or room-temperature water -- maybe around 1 part cornstarch to 4 parts water. Mix it in a small vessel that allows you to stir it vigorously (e.g. a mug), and then stir it vigorously. It should form a milky but fluid suspension with no lumps. Stir this into the other ingredients (or the stew you want to thicken, or whatever). When you bring that mixture to the boil, it will thicken up.

If you're pouring the cornstarch suspension into hot stew that's already at or near boiling, you need to stir as you're pouring. For stuff like sweet and sour sauce, it's best to mix it cold and then bring the fully mixed sauce to a boil.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Just a reminder that grocery delivery is a thing, and very useful if you don't have time to go out yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

If you're gonna move to Savannah, get yourself an apartment there with a proper fridge you can use.

Do this whether you take the job or not.