Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
Sup. The name is Rytheric some call me Ry-The Guy. You may know me from classics such as "wow I didn't know I was eating 10,000 MG of sodium I should like cut that in half," "I've been eating nothing but buckets of KFC for months," "I started adding a large order of Mac n Cheese on top of it while stress eating," or "I lock my money away from myself so I don't eat $800-$1200 a month in fast food each month." You may also know me from a diy thread run amuck from carbon monoxide. Well i fixed that, now I'm am here to fix my fast food addiction.

So where do we start? I'm am currently at a salad shop named Chopt. Eating a Palm Beach salad.

Pardon the haze. Broke my camera during a boating accident and further ruined it in a tank pull. Anyway this salad contains: avocado of course, grape tomatoes because what salad is complete without it, cucumbers the best vegetable on earth, heart of palm because im going to be a tropical beaver this playthrough apparently, romaine, grilled chicken, and blue cheese instead of balsamic vignette because forget that. It's actually rather tasty.

So how did it come to this? Well I'm a creature of habit. With the rustle and bussle of life I find it easy to fixate on the convenient unless it's restoring a boxtruck or building a house. I often find myself not looking at labels and relying on a quick fix for my hunger. And eat the same thing for a month or so at a time. Unfortunately, that tends to be a lot of salted meats in this day and age. I would prefer to be plant-based if possible, and it seems those options are ever growing on the horizon.

What is my current relationship with food? Currently, I stress eat to cope with deadlines at work or to have an excuse to step away to wind down, I victory eat to reward good behavior with an ironically malicious behavior, and I eat if I get bored because why not. That's probably more suited for snacks rather than a bucket of chicken and Mac and cheese, but I also need something that takes a while to eat. This avocado heart of palm salad seems to hit that spot interestingly enough. Perhaps I need to learn how to make this for starters, but where do I get the palm trees?

So what am I hoping to get out of this thread? Well, I am looking plant based ideas that I can make at work that are rawish because I'm not a fan of cooked vegetables and I need something easy for starters. I have non-insulin requiring diabetes so far and I've found that my body responds well if I keep my carbs below 80g per meal. I'd also like input from people who manage to cook despite working long hours or who are constantly on the road sometimes living out of town. I get a decent discount from whole foods and live within walking distance of it. However my food storage options are limit. No fridge so I typically only get a couple days worth of food at a time.

Anyway. That's probably enough for now. Tell me what you think.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Ardemia posted:

Whole Foods has a decent hot bar. While the prices aren't cheap, there are plenty of great veggie and protein options there, with plenty of vegan/vegetarian options. I used to go to my local one for lunch and make two meals out of one to go box from the hot bar. That is a good option if you don't want to cook but want something healthy. Its about 8 dollars per pound IIRC. They are pretty good about having the nutrition facts on display so you can avoid the high sodium options.

For making meals yourself, not having a fridge poses a bit of an issue. I would recommend picking up a decent cooler. A good one will hold ice for several days, so if you're doing your shopping for food every few days that should keep it from spoiling on you. You can also get float trays for the stuff you don't want to get waterlogged, like cheese or meat. Doesn't need to be a Yeti that costs 1000000 dollars, but not the cheapest one either.

A slow cooker (also known as a crock pot) might be a decent choice for you. You can roast a big piece of pork/beef for several hours in them, along with some tasty veggies. You can even buy liners for them so you don't have to worry about cleaning the thing every time you use it. These are very easy to cook with to make, and since you're cooking it you can avoid the extra salt. You could also pick up a decent little camping stove, there are plenty of form factors they come in so you can find a good one for the RyTruck!

Since you're a busy dude, check out the bagged and cleaned veggies you can get in the produce section. They are more expensive sure, but you can steam them or boil them, throw a bit of citrus juice, garlic powder, and fresh ground black pepper for a tasty side with low carbs and low sodium. That same thing roasted in the oven is my go to veggie side!

Also this is not health advice, but I would start taking a multivitamin every day. While you may not absorb 100% of it, they can help you get your micro nutrients to a good level while you are working on getting your macro nutrients more balanced out.

Is there any particular variety of food you enjoy, like Italian or Mediterranean? We could likely recommend you some quick and easy recipes with that info.

I prefer Chinese food. But rice and noodles pose an issue with my diabetes. Eating at whole foods is an excellent suggestion.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Aruan posted:

if you've decided to subsist solely on takeout food because you don't have the means to cook for yourself because you live in an abandoned box truck, there are a lot of healthier options you can look towards - one of the best parts of the growth of fast casual is that "fast food" isn't just fried carbs. qdoba, chipotle, etc. all have very low carb options - you can get a salad bowl from chipotle with a half serving of brown rice, chicken, all the veggies you want (skip the queso and sour cream) and it'll come in around 500ish calories with a pretty good caloric breakdown.

whole foods salad and fresh food bar is a good option. most grocery stores also have healthy options via a salad bar and things like grilled chicken.

but yes, buy a fridge.

do not use a gas camping stove inside. you will kill yourself.

Yeah, I wasn't going to use a gas camping stove. It looks like they have 12v crockpots and sauce pans. Which may be interesting. I may get a small 12v cooler as I'm thinking about maybe adding storage seats in the truck.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Hmmm. I may look at some raw plant based/vegan recipes or minimal cooking ones maybe.

Or if someone gives me a two days shopping list for whole foods I may try things on their list.

Grilled chicken does seem the way to go if I'm going to have a meat.

I am worried about bugs getting attracted to RyTruck though.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

What I'm worried is the bowel movement I'm about to have over the overwhelming amount of leaves going through my system now.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Chard posted:

I want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening?

Lentils.

There's a great future in lentils. Think about it. Will you think about it?

My ex actually calls me the lentil man because when I was trying to be vegan-fruitarian one time. My dinner for months was nothing but lentils, flaxseeds and salt. It was the only thing I cooked.. I like lentils.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 4, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Scientastic posted:

:eng101: Cucumbers are a fruit

Buy a fridge and an immersion circulator

A fruity vegetable or a vegetable fruit. When I was trying to be fruitarian at one point in my life I was including cucumbers tomatoes and such and some were like thats not cheating and my response was what animal does peanuts come from since it's classified as a meat? I also included nuts seeds and beans in my "fruitarian" diet as my rational was that I was eating ungerminated offspring of plants not the plant itself. I was actually rather healthy on that diet.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Chard posted:

I want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening?

Lentils.

There's a great future in lentils. Think about it. Will you think about it?

Behold lentil snot.

This happened when I attempted to cook lentil soup with flaxseed at the same time rather than adding the flaxseed afterward.

I also made a nice flaxseed pea pudding by mixing flaxseed with pea protein powder in a coffee mug. The mug only had enough room to turn the powder into a paste like substance and I'd add flax seeds.

A simple lentil recipe would be great.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Ardemia posted:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/red-lentil-dal-101019

This is a nice red lentil dal recipe, which is my favorite lentil dish. I add sliced jalapeno or bell pepper as well when I saute the onions and garlic, and I don't puree half of it. This is a good starter recipe though, and yes the spices may be expensive but they pay for themselves over time by making the food more savory/tasty without adding too much salt.

If you like lentils, how do you feel about chickpeas/garbanzos?

My boss cooked me a chickpea purre once that was amazing. No clue what a purre is, but it was good.

Also I lived most my life believing I was allergic to peppers, and most around me think I still am, so I should probably stick to non peppery stuff, should have included that. Plus I find ginger to be spicy.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

tater_salad posted:

Puree? Like when you put poo poo in a blender and turn it into a paste? Like Hummus?

Yes that is it. Was like applesauce but chickpea instead. Was great.

Elviscat posted:

That looks like natto.

It looks like a little 12V cooler draws about 60W when running, if you get a couple of those affordable 100W solar panel kits they should be able to keep your battery topped off while running the cooler during the day when you're not on shore power.

Lol that looked disgusting lol. Don't know if I could ear natto either.

Yeah 60w is definitely going to be within the possibility of my power system once I complete it. I was going to have a 400w solar panel setup with roughly 6kw in batteries once I bought the land, but I might get it once I get my suspension corrected next week.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Well whole foods hot bar was closed both times I arrived. Ate at McDonald's in the morning cause I'm a failure, but I went to chopt again for Lunner (lunch/dinner) here is a proper photo of the beach salad.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

stealie72 posted:

Chickpea chat made me think of Tasty Bite, who makes a bunch of shelf-stable, pouched meals that are not horrible on sodium, and have a bunch of vegan options. They're still prepared food so they're not going to be totally awesome health wise, but they're great for what they are.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Tasty+Bite/page/7B61BC16-F538-40E6-B502-801B33CC170B?ref_=ast_bln

I keep a bunch of these on hand for when we don't feel like thinking about dinner. One of these plus some rice will take care of you for a meal. As a bonus, they microwave very quickly, and would probably be fine warmed up in a hot water bath if that's all you've got available.

I will look into that, but is there an alternative for rice?

When I was testing things when I first became diabetic, I tested how my body responded to my lentil medley which included brown rice and my blood sugar spiked to 213 after an hour. A large little Caesars pizza for comparison spikes it to 256 and knocks me out to the point I need to take a nap.

My normal blood sugar is roughly 135. Drops to 116 after a 24 hours fast.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

I will look into that, but is there an alternative for rice?

When I was testing things when I first became diabetic, I tested how my body responded to my lentil medley which included brown rice and my blood sugar spiked to 213 after an hour. A large little Caesars pizza for comparison spikes it to 256 and knocks me out to the point I need to take a nap.

My normal blood sugar is roughly 135. Drops to 116 after a 24 hours fast. I also find that the glycemic index works. So if there is a low glycemic rice alternative that would be great.

Edit: now that I reflect on it, my tests are the reason I started downing buckets of chicken as the chicken would only spike my blood sugar to 160. The Mac n cheese I added last month probably didn't help my diabetes though.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 4, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

I see. But is there a general alternative to rice people use?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Ardemia posted:

Ill give the slightly smartass answer of cauliflower rice. It may not be delicious but that way you're getting more veggies, rather than more starches. Failing that, just have it over steamed veggies.

Also I didn't think of the hot bar being closed due to the pandemic. Even up here in the mountains they don't have them open yet, just sealed containers premade where the hot bar was. I'm sure that will be viable once they open back up.

It seems they are open for lunch and dinner hours at least. I will look into cauliflower rice.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Bogus Adventure posted:

I like quinoa. It's healthier than rice and tastes better imho. It's also pretty easy to cook. This is the recipe I use whenever I make it.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-quinoa-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-63344

Interesting. It has a similar cook time as lentils.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

These salads are doing a number on me lol. Think I'm having to use the restroom every 3 hours or so.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Totally didn't see a second page come up. So im definitely addicted to salt for some reason. Yesterday I ate two sausage mcmuffins. Two chopt salads. Then at night I had 4 double cheese burgers from McDonald's. Normally I eat them plain but I was craving the ketchup, mustard, pickle, and onions which I thought was just me craving more vegetables on top of something I normally ate, but later donned on me that I was craving the salt. That's 6000mg sodium. 2000 in the morning 4000 at night. Better than 10,000. Cholesterol is much much less than I was eating though.

Trying to sync my schedule up tomorrow with the whole foods hot bar. I am hoping that making the hot bar a habit will encourage me to buy other things in the grocery. Going out the a cidery tonight with co-workers so my diet will be slightly off again tonight.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So my father has worse health than me for example his diabetes is further along than mine and he lost all his teeth and almost lost his feet from it; however, he has a wife that tries to take care of him.

He switched to veganism, not just the diet, a few weeks ago and has dropped considerable weight. He was using brown rice though which isn't good for his diabetes. He is no longer on insulin however it's still a problem (he was waking up every 2-3 hours in the night to pee out sugar and waste). I told him yall suggestions and he is going to look into it as well. So yall are helping more than just me here. Thanks.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

tater_salad posted:

Peeing all the time is a sign of high blood sugar. Your dad needs to test his sugars regularly if he's peeing all the time.

It takes about 7-10 days of removing something from your diet to reset it so maybe stop eating mackdowells And kfc a the time. It tastes great because it has more salt and fat than other foods.

Eating well requires effort and forethought. While you're still living in a home start working on meal planning etc. Cook a bunch on your off day while playing toilet eve. Portion up your food and eat it for the week.

Unfortunately I haven't had an off day for a while. While I was getting distracted from buying the property I had to make up the lost hours over the weekend. I may have a day off tomorrow though to focus on things.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So I already got two sausage mcmuffins for breakfast so I'm off to a bad start this morning, but I was just in time to try the whole foods hotbar.

Here I got 4 drumlets (2 general tsos may favorite and 2 curry). Lots of garliced green beans, broccoli, some potatoes, carrots, mashed yams and some pulled pork. Looks good. May be better than the 9 piece dark bucket I would have gotten and around the same price.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

I'm following advice. Things take time to change. Thr problem with the last thread was that there wasn't enough time to see that I was taken in advice before people had assumed I hadn't.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The hot bar food was great. Some of my favorite foods are green beans, sweet peas, and broccoli. So it was nice.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Drone posted:

He doesn't, and he hasn't really elucidated why.

Just mainly it's fallen out of habit and stress at work. I use to cook in college. But it was more bodybuilding type meals. Bacon eggs toast, salad for lunch, then chicken or hamburger, rice, and broccoli for dinner everyday.

I fell out of it cause I was on the road all the time and couldn't keep it. My fruit and stuff would all rot in the summer. Then when I started office work I felt I couldn't keep on top of things if I took time to wait in line to shop then spend an hour or so cooking compared to just driving up to a window and getting it.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Lead out in cuffs posted:

He said he's working seven-day weeks or something. Also IIRC he literally has no means of cooking right now?

Ry, isn't your boss renting you a room? Can you use the kitchen?

And the suggestion another goon made of getting an instant pot is a good one. They're not particularly expensive (compared to what you're spending on fast food), and will allow you to make healthy meals with very minimal hands-on time.

I can, but I'm discouraged from doing so. Not by my boss, but from his fiance. I had 3 shacker cups in the fridge and she acted like that was too much of the fridge space taken up.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Drone posted:

He doesn't own a fridge and hasn't in years, despite making an above-average income.

Meal prep might be kinda difficult until he gets the rest of *waves hands* all this sorted out.

Yeah I was going to get a mini fridge for my room at one point so they had less to complain about. I might get a 12v cooler and hotplate or 12v sauce pan after I get my suspension fixed and upgrade from there as necessary.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Big Taint posted:

Ry: I absolutely will not eat brown rice, too high on glycemic index!!!

Also Ry: eats 2 mcsausages and 4 double cheeseburgers daily.

Lol that wasn't daily. But I get your point. I'm currently trying to break that habit.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So you have two options:

1. Have a very frank but gentle discussion with your boss and his fiance together about how you are eating fast food all the time and will literally die if you keep doing that. Then ask, gently, to be able to use the kitchen. Offer to set up and abide by rules around this - this is how much fridge space you can take, dishes get cleaned immediately after they're used, etc.

2. Move the gently caress out and get your own place. And not your loving box truck.

Seriously, how much is this guy paying you for working seven day weeks?

So the kitchen topic is a bit rough and yall are right I'm better served living elsewhere. Since I've moved in I've gained 30lbs and whereas I was vegan and cooking for myself beforehand.

One of many issued that occurred over the use of the kitchen was that his fiance wants us to eat together as a family, but I refused to do that because he believed that cholesterol was a myth and I had no idea what he was eating nutrition wise whereas I use to tabulate everything on chronometer prior to living with them. The result of this was that he had a triple bypass 3 months ago. So I would have been worse shape than I am now if I ate his cooking. If I ate with them he'd do all the dishes where as if I cooked I'd be fussed at if i didn't clean immediately or if I forgot something. The benefit of fast food was that I could see what I was eating, but as some pointed out. I lost track of that at some point if I didn't realize I was eating 10,000 MG salt.

As for why I can't just move out into an apartment. I had a ding on my credit score when I was younger because one of my parents told me to get them a credit card at kohl's in my name and they would pay it off. They never paid it off and I didn't have the means to pay it off until I moved in with my boss 2 years ago. I had another ding on my credit card after my apartment complex and primary place of employment burnt down when I was younger and I used a credit card to pay for another apartment while I got back on my feet. Ive paid both back several years ago. They may have fell off last year I believe actually, but for a while that was preventing me from getting an apartment while I was living with my boss.

The purpose of living with my boss was to pay off or get rid of my debts which I have (total debt paid of was $30k) and save up for a place to live which I was going to do if ya followed the last thread. I have one more year left at my boss's. I just feel leaving now would be a waste of money instead of waiting the year to save up more funds. But could it be worth it? Yall are kind of pointing out that it is.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 6, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Anne Whateley posted:

Even if your credit was terrible, which it doesn't sound like it is, you can find somewhere that will take you if you give them a larger security deposit and show them how much you make and have banked.

Yeah it's floating just below 700 depending on how much I use my Amazon credit card before paying it off. It was 530 when I moved in with my boss. So the goals of moving in with my boss has almost been achieved. But I guess I sacrificed my health along the way. I hope I can fix that though.

Edit: just looked at my credit everything I described earlier fell off. I still have a ding on my Subaru ascent I turned in. Then I have 26 dings because I missed 2 student loan payments in 2018 and each miss payment gets dinged 13 times since it spreads over 13 loans. I should probably consolidate that.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 6, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Ardemia posted:

^^^^^^^ I didn't have a dishwasher for about a decade, and having one again is a constant source of wonderment for me lol.

TBH I don't understand why your reported credit ratings would keep you from renting an apartment complete with working fridge and stove. Your reported credit rating is about the same as mine, in the same state, and I was able to rent multiple places before getting a mortgage last year. I've definitely had to pay extra deposit for utilities, and one place required extra deposit due to my credit, but I never had any apartment complex/property management company/ independent landlord straight up refuse to rent to me. The only people I know that have had that issue had evictions on their rental history, bankruptcies, or a felony/felonies that precluded them from renting from certain places. You could probably find a decent modular to rent out there too, which would give you more space and privacy than an apartment, just a thought. That would help with the nutrition situation and possibly reduce some external stressors.

For food chat: you can make a decent general tso type sauce at home with hoisin sauce, red chilies, rice vinegar, and some garlic. You may need to use corn starch as well with it depending on the consistency you like. I don't like cooking with corn starch myself, it can be tough to mix properly. If you do try it, I would recommend mixing the corn starch separately with the base water (as hot as possible) then add the corn starch water to the other ingredients. Last time I made sweet and sour sauce in a similar method and it was way better on tofu than it was on chicken.

I will look into making general tzus its my favor chicken flavor.

In regards to the apartment issue. I had several apartments in the area refuse me when I moved here based on the kohl's credit card and the credit card I paid after the burning event as they were defaulted. I dont think anything counts as defaulted anymore.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So today, I skipped the sausage mcmuffins. Had another whole foods meal.

I weighed myself and I had gained roughly 20lbs over the last couple months due to doubling my kfc and bojangles. Hoping a lot of it is salt that still needs watered out.

Going to eat whole foods again tonight. Don't have time to grocery shop til tomorrow or Tuesday though due to work deadlines.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hey Rytheric, I read through your goldmined tiny house thread a bit and lol'd. Glad you're taking goon advice and working on your diet. I think you're a good person who cares about other people to a fault, but while you clearly have the means to do whatever you want in life, you gotta love yourself before you can love others, as they say. I'm not going to give you any diet advice because there's way more qualified people here I'm sure who have probably given you all the good stuff, but do count your calories. It helps a lot.

Thank you.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So I had a whole foods dinner again. Turns out they just recycle lunch for dinner, so things are a bit drier and probably less healthy. When I worked at domino's we weren't allowed to serve food that was allowed to sit for longer than an hour and a half due to bacteria, so wish my bowels luck.

Anyway on the way out I grabbed some snacks for my office. Some dried apricots and salted chic peas (not as salted as the name implies). Hopefully this will curb some hunger. And the salted chic peas will hopefully satisfy my craving for salt since I can taste it as opposed to it being hidden decietfully inside some Mac n cheese or breading. I the majority of yall say to throw it out though I will.

I didn't eat McDonald's at all today which is a major plus. Pulling an all nighter for work though, so hope I don't cave in in the night.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Notahippie posted:

Whole Foods is way better than McDonalds, but it's not exactly health food - unless you're being really disciplined in what you're selecting, plenty of their food is going to have unhealthy fat/sodium levels for a daily diet. It's also fairly pricey, and it'll add up fast.

Little steps are good, and if you can shift from KFC/McD to Whole Foods then you're definitely taking a positive step that will make the next one easier... but until you're able to cook for yourself (in whatever way works for you) then controlling your diet and especially your sodium intake is probably going to be a real challenge.

Yeah I definitely feel better already though there is a lot coming out of me. Lol

I'm starting to envision a place to put a fold up shelf for cooking or returning to the tea room idea I had with a hotplate coffee table to sit around.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

tater_salad posted:

Yeah but lets not lose focus on finding a stable place to live where you can cook and eat healthy, being your current place with a fridge in your room or a new place. You 100% will need a way to cook for yourself in your truck but you really need to get some therapy, get yourself into better habits in general (financial, impulse control, cooking etc) and then move into your truck, once it's sorted. You can't live in your truck off of cold food or fast food, if you had sustainable land to park on and campfire cook you'd open up some options for eating.

Well. I was in the process of buying land lol. I will buy something else next year.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So one warning sign of gout I've discovered is the hot knee. Right now my knees are radiating so much heat that I'm quite toasty under my blanket. Why I'm about to have a flare up despite eating better though probably has to due with a lack of sleep lately and the effects of eating better things bit to take in. Or I'm blowing myself out so much I'm getting dehydrated.

When I first noticed it it wasn't kind of crazy. I was laying in RyTruk on a winters evening before RyTruk had walls and I was sleep on a couch in it and my left knee was keeping me warm almost single leggedly

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 8, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Ardemia posted:

Hydration is important for diabetes management, and after working outside like you do. When you combine this with your positive dietary changes, you probably do need more water than you're currently drinking. Are you drinking at least half a gallon of water a day?

I dont know. I should probably buy a jug or something.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So I turned in an environmental report at work today for a regional client that I was super stressed out about because it was late and over budget and I pulled all nighters over the weekend to get it done. I was worried that I was going to get fired over it. Got a bonus and a soft job offer within the company in Savannah, Georgia instead. This presents an opportunity to move out and make it worth it. Could even live out of my sailboat down there which has a kitchen. Opinions? My manager doesn't want me to move. Haven't talked to my boss about it.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

tater_salad posted:

Yes your boat has a kitchen. But I still feel get your poo poo together first then live the nomadic lifestyle. Where will you poo poo on sailboat? What food can you cook? What will you do for hurricane season?

So, i am actually experienced in this area of interest. Typically marinas you can liveaboard at have harbor facilities where you can poo and do laundry and even cook if cooking on your sailboat is too cramped. You can also hook up to shore power for power. A marina I just glanced at (was looking for "shelterable" marinas, leaning more towards south carolina) and its roughly $310 a month + $60 a month for electricity. Unfortunately the PO of my sailboat ripped out my head, however, harbor toilets would be better anyway.

edit: As for hurricane season, thats going to be rough no matter what. Typically you mingle with the local liveaboards to find the hideyholes to anchor at which is usually a rather well kept secret.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Bingo Bango posted:

Pumping out the head was always the most disgusting part of having a boat, so yeah you're probably better off using the marina facilities short term but never underestimate the convenience of not having to stumble around the docks at night when you need to take an emergency crap.

iirc from the last thread, you have a pretty decent sized boat (over 30' I think?) so I'm curious what your cooking setup is like in there. I grew up sailing on a 28' Pearson that, despite less than stellar cooking facilities, we still managed to cook up decent family meals in. If hooking up to power is something you're talking about, then I assume you may have a real fridge and not an glorified built-in cooler like we did? Even if you're stuck with something like that, you can still do a lot with decent ice chest! Plus, there's nothing finer than getting a grill set up on the stern and cooking something good out on the water

Its actually a rather small boat. 21 feet. I agree cooking on a grill on the stern of boat would be preferable to cooking on the stern of the RyTruk. I could probably get a real fridge in the sailboat. It was my SHTF option after the RyTruk.