Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Whole Foods has a decent hot bar. While the prices aren't cheap, there are plenty of great veggie and protein options there, with plenty of vegan/vegetarian options. I used to go to my local one for lunch and make two meals out of one to go box from the hot bar. That is a good option if you don't want to cook but want something healthy. Its about 8 dollars per pound IIRC. They are pretty good about having the nutrition facts on display so you can avoid the high sodium options.

For making meals yourself, not having a fridge poses a bit of an issue. I would recommend picking up a decent cooler. A good one will hold ice for several days, so if you're doing your shopping for food every few days that should keep it from spoiling on you. You can also get float trays for the stuff you don't want to get waterlogged, like cheese or meat. Doesn't need to be a Yeti that costs 1000000 dollars, but not the cheapest one either.

A slow cooker (also known as a crock pot) might be a decent choice for you. You can roast a big piece of pork/beef for several hours in them, along with some tasty veggies. You can even buy liners for them so you don't have to worry about cleaning the thing every time you use it. These are very easy to cook with to make, and since you're cooking it you can avoid the extra salt. You could also pick up a decent little camping stove, there are plenty of form factors they come in so you can find a good one for the RyTruck!

Since you're a busy dude, check out the bagged and cleaned veggies you can get in the produce section. They are more expensive sure, but you can steam them or boil them, throw a bit of citrus juice, garlic powder, and fresh ground black pepper for a tasty side with low carbs and low sodium. That same thing roasted in the oven is my go to veggie side!

Also this is not health advice, but I would start taking a multivitamin every day. While you may not absorb 100% of it, they can help you get your micro nutrients to a good level while you are working on getting your macro nutrients more balanced out.

Is there any particular variety of food you enjoy, like Italian or Mediterranean? We could likely recommend you some quick and easy recipes with that info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/red-lentil-dal-101019

This is a nice red lentil dal recipe, which is my favorite lentil dish. I add sliced jalapeno or bell pepper as well when I saute the onions and garlic, and I don't puree half of it. This is a good starter recipe though, and yes the spices may be expensive but they pay for themselves over time by making the food more savory/tasty without adding too much salt.

If you like lentils, how do you feel about chickpeas/garbanzos?

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

Rytheric posted:

Yes that is it. Was like applesauce but chickpea instead. Was great.

Lol that looked disgusting lol. Don't know if I could ear natto either.

Yeah 60w is definitely going to be within the possibility of my power system once I complete it. I was going to have a 400w solar panel setup with roughly 6kw in batteries once I bought the land, but I might get it once I get my suspension corrected next week.

If you like hummus, then some hummus along with some crudite would be a decent meal. Its also vegan which is something you're looking for.
Check out Roots Hummus, I used to work for them in the kitchen, and they are sold in a lot of Whole Foods. Great flavors and about as balanced as hummus can get nutritionally. They don't put too much salt in it either.

you can also use chickpeans for channa masala, which is a tasty chickpea stew you can get at Indian/Pakistani restaurants to try it out. If you like it, its not tough to make and it can be bought premade as well.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

Rytheric posted:

I will look into that, but is there an alternative for rice?

Ill give the slightly smartass answer of cauliflower rice. It may not be delicious but that way you're getting more veggies, rather than more starches. Failing that, just have it over steamed veggies.

Also I didn't think of the hot bar being closed due to the pandemic. Even up here in the mountains they don't have them open yet, just sealed containers premade where the hot bar was. I'm sure that will be viable once they open back up.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

^^^^^^^ I didn't have a dishwasher for about a decade, and having one again is a constant source of wonderment for me lol.

TBH I don't understand why your reported credit ratings would keep you from renting an apartment complete with working fridge and stove. Your reported credit rating is about the same as mine, in the same state, and I was able to rent multiple places before getting a mortgage last year. I've definitely had to pay extra deposit for utilities, and one place required extra deposit due to my credit, but I never had any apartment complex/property management company/ independent landlord straight up refuse to rent to me. The only people I know that have had that issue had evictions on their rental history, bankruptcies, or a felony/felonies that precluded them from renting from certain places. You could probably find a decent modular to rent out there too, which would give you more space and privacy than an apartment, just a thought. That would help with the nutrition situation and possibly reduce some external stressors.

For food chat: you can make a decent general tso type sauce at home with hoisin sauce, red chilies, rice vinegar, and some garlic. You may need to use corn starch as well with it depending on the consistency you like. I don't like cooking with corn starch myself, it can be tough to mix properly. If you do try it, I would recommend mixing the corn starch separately with the base water (as hot as possible) then add the corn starch water to the other ingredients. Last time I made sweet and sour sauce in a similar method and it was way better on tofu than it was on chicken.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

JFC this is not how you use cornstarch. It's almost right, but cornstarch:

a) thickens up with heat (so don't mix it with hot water)
b) goes lumpy if you try to mix it in too much water at once (so don't mix it with the full amount of water)

The trick to cornstarch is to mix it in a small amount of cold or room-temperature water -- maybe around 1 part cornstarch to 4 parts water. Mix it in a small vessel that allows you to stir it vigorously (e.g. a mug), and then stir it vigorously. It should form a milky but fluid suspension with no lumps. Stir this into the other ingredients (or the stew you want to thicken, or whatever). When you bring that mixture to the boil, it will thicken up.

If you're pouring the cornstarch suspension into hot stew that's already at or near boiling, you need to stir as you're pouring. For stuff like sweet and sour sauce, it's best to mix it cold and then bring the fully mixed sauce to a boil.

Legit appreciate the cornstarch info. Its not something I use very often in my recipes, and its always been a pain in the rear end because I was using the wrong temps apparently. Last time, I just kept stirring the gently caress out of it in one of my small mixing bowls and it finally blended. Can you fork whisk it at an angle or just use a taller more narrow mixing vessel?

Ardemia fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 7, 2021

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

Premade meals would be perfect for him, there's a plenty of shelf stable ones.

Indian cuisine is generally pretty good for this, soft pack microwavable ready-eat meals, add in a microwavable cup of brown rice and you have a very tasty and fairly nutritious meal with known nutritional information on the package.
All for about $3-4 a meal.

Seconding this, I did this very often when I was in my last round of working and going to school at the same time. I bought a rice cooker and would make myself a few cups of rice at a time, but those premade paneer packs that are shelf stable were so fuckin tasty. Spicy vegetable korma was a strong runner up option too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

Hydration is important for diabetes management, and after working outside like you do. When you combine this with your positive dietary changes, you probably do need more water than you're currently drinking. Are you drinking at least half a gallon of water a day?