Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fiber's good for the soul.

We've got a few good places to look around here if you're looking for some ideas for plant-based eating. The vegan thread is of course a no-brainer, but also try dino's eating while depressed thread for some low-effort ideas. A lot of them are going to be geared towards a bit more equipment than you've likely got on hand at the moment, though.

Things I'd think of myself, if lacking refrigeration:

Fruits and veggies that are fine at room temp: Apples, bananas, oranges, grapefruit, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. Apples especially, they'll keep in a cool dark place for months.

Like Aruan says, shelf-stable milk's a lot more common now, so something as simple as a bowl of low-sugar cereal or a protein shake is easy enough. I use almond milk this way at work fairly often because I can't do lactose anymore.

If you've got any way to heat it at all, low-sodium canned soup is healthy, tasty, and cheap.

In any case, given your current diet, there's a ton of room to get better food that'll probably work out cheaper than what you're eating now, even if you're just grabbing a bag of pre-washed salad greens and some diced grilled chicken from the lunchmeat cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

Another way to combat that is to cook family-size amounts of food and eat the same thing for dinner for several days. For example, I made 4L of parsnip and butternut squash soup earlier in the week and 1kg of chili-con-carne-style taco beef on Wednesday. Lunch today was the third of 8 500mL of the soup, and dinner was three tacos, each using 100g of beef, all the baby spinach I could stuff into them, a goonly amount of cheese, and sour cream. I make the taco seasoning myself and put 3/4tsp of salt into it, and the 4L of soup was seasoned with about 2tsp of salt.

This is what I generally do myself. I spent twenty bucks at the restaurant supply store for a case of 2 cup delitainers, and just portion out whatever I don't eat, label it, and huck it in the freezer to become take to work or lazy cooking night options.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rytheric posted:

So I turned in an environmental report at work today for a regional client that I was super stressed out about because it was late and over budget and I pulled all nighters over the weekend to get it done. I was worried that I was going to get fired over it. Got a bonus and a soft job offer within the company in Savannah, Georgia instead. This presents an opportunity to move out and make it worth it. Could even live out of my sailboat down there which has a kitchen. Opinions? My manager doesn't want me to move. Haven't talked to my boss about it.

Bingo Bango posted:

Pumping out the head was always the most disgusting part of having a boat, so yeah you're probably better off using the marina facilities short term but never underestimate the convenience of not having to stumble around the docks at night when you need to take an emergency crap.

iirc from the last thread, you have a pretty decent sized boat (over 30' I think?) so I'm curious what your cooking setup is like in there. I grew up sailing on a 28' Pearson that, despite less than stellar cooking facilities, we still managed to cook up decent family meals in. If hooking up to power is something you're talking about, then I assume you may have a real fridge and not an glorified built-in cooler like we did? Even if you're stuck with something like that, you can still do a lot with decent ice chest! Plus, there's nothing finer than getting a grill set up on the stern and cooking something good out on the water

One warning.

Stay on target. This is not a thread about boats, or trucks, and if it drifts off topic it's getting closed.