Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
this is very cool! an option to expand/replace the palette would be nice but it's fun seeing what people come up with under the restrictions

direct linking it doesn't seem to want to work

Luxury Tent Carpet fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Refresh the page, especially on mobile. The buttons for the colors should be more in line what is shown on desktop. Also panning the image shouldn’t result in a double-tap which made the page zoom in. Arrows are replaced with nicer CSS ones.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 18, 2021

burning swine
May 26, 2004

alright I tried making Milo from crystal caves

bad at pixels

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

burning swine posted:

alright I tried making Milo from crystal caves

bad at pixels

No, it still works. I saw that and got an instant rush of nostalgia. My MS-DOS shareware disc.. nothing compares to those days.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

I've been playing a lot of Lobotomy Corporation i guess

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Good Sphere posted:

No, it still works. I saw that and got an instant rush of nostalgia. My MS-DOS shareware disc.. nothing compares to those days.

it's on steam you know

burning swine
May 26, 2004

secret agent's sprites fit a lot better

e:

burning swine fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 18, 2021

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

bird

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
cross post with the Tony Lazuto thread.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Nice, made me want to try the same.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

this is very cool! an option to expand/replace the palette would be nice but it's fun seeing what people come up with under the restrictions

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I had an idea when thinking about The Library of Babel. What if I could make some way to navigate through every possible image, similarly to how you can on The Library of Babel. Instead of a library, it would be a pixel block universe grid in the form of a gigantic square. Each pixel block would have an X and Y coordinate, so you would know where your block is contained on the universe grid. You could also see where your pixel block is relative to another, or the distance. The entire universe could be seen at once as a square when you are zoomed all the way out, then you could continually zoom in to eventually see the separate pixel blocks. I imagine this could work like zooming into a Mandelbrot. If you were to search for where your drawing is located, there's nearly a 100% chance that the adjacent blocks would appear as random noise for what it seems an infinite distance. As a matter of fact, almost all of the pixel block universe grid would look like random noise, and it would be almost impossible to come across something with form or a recognizable object. I see this similarly the vast amount of space in our universe as random noise, the small amount of clumped together like galaxies with stars and planets as form, and the tiny amount of life as recognizable objects.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

This is great

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Good Sphere posted:

I had an idea when thinking about The Library of Babel. What if I could make some way to navigate through every possible image, similarly to how you can on The Library of Babel. Instead of a library, it would be a pixel block universe grid in the form of a gigantic square. Each pixel block would have an X and Y coordinate, so you would know where your block is contained on the universe grid. You could also see where your pixel block is relative to another, or the distance. The entire universe could be seen at once as a square when you are zoomed all the way out, then you could continually zoom in to eventually see the separate pixel blocks. I imagine this could work like zooming into a Mandelbrot. If you were to search for where your drawing is located, there's nearly a 100% chance that the adjacent blocks would appear as random noise for what it seems an infinite distance. As a matter of fact, almost all of the pixel block universe grid would look like random noise, and it would be almost impossible to come across something with form or a recognizable object. I see this similarly the vast amount of space in our universe as random noise, the small amount of clumped together like galaxies with stars and planets as form, and the tiny amount of life as recognizable objects.

do it because someone will at one point come across something crazy in there

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm bad at maths but I think the total possibility space given you have 40 colours and 20x20 squares would be 40^200 40^400 (told you I was bad at maths)

That would make a square 2.582249878086E320 pixels on each side. Start saving for an 8k monitor.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 19, 2021

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Party Boat posted:

I'm bad at maths but I think the total possibility space given you have 40 colours and 20x20 squares would be 40^200 40^400 (told you I was bad at maths)

That would make a square 2.582249878086E320 pixels on each side. Start saving for an 8k monitor.

Yes. However, if you zoom out far enough, it just looks brown.

You can't see the whole thing at once in any level of detail below that, but you can explore it by just generating random colors for each pixel.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Party Boat posted:

Just like anywhere else, a zoomed out image doesn't display all of its pixels if it surpasses the display's resolution. That said, I'm not sure if it's easily possible for me to calculate what a given pixel should be at an offset that may be a huge number.

ultrafilter posted:

Yes. However, if you zoom out far enough, it just looks brown.

You can't see the whole thing at once in any level of detail below that, but you can explore it by just generating random colors for each pixel.

Depending on how you iterate through all combinations of pixels, it could look entirely different.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Art thread:
:11tea:

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 20, 2021

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

I'll take two adult and two kids tickets for "Alien Erection" please

Guttlesswonder fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 20, 2021

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

this loving owns god drat

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

I'll take two adult and two kids tickets for "Alien Erection" please

.random
May 7, 2007

I like this thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

haha woaaah

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

peanut posted:

haha woaaah

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Great work all of you!

I updated the site a little bit today, and plan on including undo/redo and writing changes on the image to the URL as you draw, so that you don’t risk losing your work if the browser refreshes.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I just added undo/redo buttons. Let me know how they work and if you find anything irritating or broken. Should work like a typical undo/redo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

anatomical heart

https://majoroutput.com/index.html?...r3_YkPm-ALDBaLb

cursed

peanut fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 21, 2021

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

barbed wire

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

peanut posted:

anatomical heart

Waffle! posted:

barbed wire

Looks great! I need to make a transparent color on the palette.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

ceremonial dagger

undo works great. Transparent would be awesome!

Psychotic Puggle
May 21, 2012

When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash!

Command?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I had to try these:

I would have tried the others, but they are imgur. Eventually I want the the editor to be able to open up anything, and use the closest colors if needed. Even larger images, which would crop to a square and divide the pixel locations up.Then maybe the xbrz accept anything, with some limitations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

smoke NFTs erra day.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

holy poo poo

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

I don't know what I did that these came out different sizes but I couldn't figure out how to change it. Oh well.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

https://majoroutput.com/eJxlj8ERhTA...-2wmlVg==@4.png

Pterodactyl

If someone wants to do the adjacent tile in their own style, it could be cool to build a franken-dinobird together

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 23, 2021

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

barnacle jim (RIP)

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Chunderstorm posted:

barnacle jim (RIP)

I love it.

A square cannot contain the longness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

I love it.

A square cannot contain the longness

it was really hard to make his face long in the confines of a square without making it so narrow that it lost detail. thank you for editing it appropriately