Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Craptacular! posted:

I always got the sense they bought the team so the Japanese executives could continue to watch MLB on business trips.

Nintendo bought the Mariners because the ownership had been threatening to move the team for years (this was one of the original plays for Tampa Bay, before they moved onto the White Sox and eventually got an expansion team) and Howard Lincoln, Nintendo of America's COO, convinced Nintendo of Japan's president, Hiroshi Yamauchi, that it would be good corporate citizenship and a good PR move for Nintendo to step in, buy the Mariners and promise to keep them in Seattle. Yamauchi had absolutely zero interest in baseball and after watching a game found it boring as poo poo, but NoA was making money hand over fist--so he wanted to keep its footprint in Seattle--and he thought the team would be a decent investment, so he agreed.

Unfortunately, this coincided with pretty much the peak of conservative Japan-bashing and xenophobia, with people convinced that Nintendo and other video games were just a Japanese plot to brainwash our children, and that was reflected in a lot of the literature and movies of the time (notably, Michael Crichton and Tom Clancy bought into this bullshit, hard). Both Fay Vincent and Bud Selig, as well as a lot of the power brokers in MLB ownership such as the Wilpons, Reinsdorf, the O'Malleys and Steinbrenner, vehemently opposed the Nintendo play, and Yamauchi threatened to back out of it multiple times. Eventually a deal was brokered that Nintendo would be allowed to buy the team, but actual control of the team had to remain in Seattle while Yamauchi served as an owner in absentia, which is how Lincoln wound up pulling double duty as the chairman of both Nintendo of America and the Mariners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dinosaurs! posted:

News: MASN is rolling out an app this year to stream Nats and O’s games, but the broadcasting rights quagmire means it’s like trying to watch HBO in 2012 and you need a cable subscription or someone’s login.

Views: I look forward to once again watching almost no local games this year as this dumb sport continues to try and kill my rooting interest.

It's hard for me to watch O's games ever since they told Gary Thorne to gently caress off. He and Jim Palmer were one of my favorite broadcasting duos. :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

During one of the games I watched last year I remember Trevor Wiliams striking someone out and yelling 'gently caress YEAH', they probably just don't want that stuff getting on TV.

Yeah, there is a ton of profanity that already gets picked up by hot mics with full crowds, and with an empty, or near-empty, stadium, the mics pick up that much more. I remember there being a poo poo-ton of F-bombs on the broadcast of the empty stadium game that the Orioles and White Sox played back in 2015 during the Freddie Gray riots in Baltimore, this is just MLB covering its rear end for Standards & Practices.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LeeMajors posted:

I want the show but I’m loving super bummed the stadium builder isn’t in the ps4 version.

Might just buy 20. gently caress.

I only own The Show 18, so I'm thinking I'll pick up 20 for dirt cheap when I get my Biden Bux. It's only :10bux: new at GameStop right now.

Bilirubin posted:

OK chromecast just arrived, MLB.tv sub renewed. It must be time for...

Dodgers Baseball?

(drat it I could not find the funny tic toc lady)

I want to renew my MLB.tv share, but then I remember that loving Boog Sciambi is calling games for the Cubs this year and I think to myself, "Really? Is it really worth it?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

Seems clear the Cubs are going to go for the classic “we tried” move with Baez. But maybe he’s the one guy from that core they retain for fan service?

Bryant is as good as gone and I expect him to be traded at the deadline; there's too much bad blood between him and the organization and the team is already planting stories in the Tribune and Sun-Times about how they plan to move forward without him. Baez is going to get the "we tried" PR play, the Cubs will make a big show about trying to retain him, but ultimately he will be allowed to walk. Rizzo will retire a Cub.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

more falafel please posted:

I could care less about Bryant at this point. I don't think he's ever going to put up the consistent numbers he had in 2015-16, he always seems to have been battling through an injury that's got his mechanics all screwed up, and he's going to cost a lot.

The thing with Bryant is that he's never taken the time to heal his shoulder from when he initially hosed it up back in 2018 (and he had some nagging injuries in 2017 that he never allowed to fully recover, as well). I think he also played most of last year with a broken wrist. Combine that with his very long swing and it's a recipe for bad juju; it's just become far too easy to jam him up and inside. I don't think he'll ever achieve his true potential of being a steady .300 hitter with 30 HR every year, unfortunately, but that just continues the long history of Cubs superstar prospects getting mauled by wolves.

I do wonder what would happen with Bryant, though, if he started working with a hitting coach who wasn't his father. I can't help but wonder if there are some awful habits that neither he nor his dad are recognizing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

spanky69 posted:

In case you were wondering who the Number 2 starter is for the Orioles, it was announced last night:

Matt Harvey.

Remember when the Orioles were good, from like 2012-14? Seems like so long ago... :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crazy Ted posted:

Because for god-knows-what reasons, the city of Tampa decided to build a stadium for a major league baseball team that didn't exist in the late 1980s using the Metrodome (:wtf:), which all of the teams it hosted started seeing as outdated less than 20 years after it was built, as the inspiration.

The story is better than that. Jerry Reinsdorf was at loggerheads with the City of Chicago regarding tax credits and other public funding for the new Comiskey Park. Both sides were pretty solidly entrenched, so Reinsdorf got together with some of his real estate buddies in Florida; those guys pressured the government of St. Petersburg to eventually say, "Hell, yeah, we'll gladly welcome the White Sox if Chicago doesn't want them! poo poo, we'll start building a stadium right now!" So construction began on the Trop without any agreement with the White Sox to move there, and expansion was still a twinkle in the eye of MLB at that point. So St. Petersburg got completely pantsed by Reinsdorf--who never had any intention of leaving Chicago, he just hated Mayor Daley and wanted to give him a panic attack--and the Trop sat largely empty for almost a decade, outside of Lightning games and concerts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

He's a FA after next year. Can you give a guy who is hurt as much as he is 350mm?

In addition to his injury history, he also has a body type that really doesn't project to age well. Officially, he weighs 282 pounds but he looks heavier than that, and at six-foot-seven and a few weeks shy of 29 years old, he's getting near the point that carrying a lot of extra weight on his frame is going to make compression fracture(s) in his spine a very real possibility and concern. Obviously gently caress ownership and labor should get paid, but if I were a GM, I'd be leery of signing him to anything longer than three or four years, just because of the very valid possibility that his body starts being held together with toothpicks, chewing gum and the blood of the wretched and the damned.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

La Russa looks like he downed a fifth of whiskey before going in front of the microphones.

God, I still can't get over Jerry Reinsdorf, who desperately wants another championship before he dies, deciding that Tony loving La Russa was the guy to lead the young White Sox to the promised land.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexter Fowler is out for the season after tearing his ACL. That might be enough for him to call it a career.

Dex :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Poque posted:

Also Cubsposters: we aren't even going to TRY and re-sign anybody are we?

Don't you work in finance for the Rickettses? You would know. :v:

But, really ... no, they aren't going to re-sign anyone except making a token effort at Baez and then shrugging and saying, "Welp, we tried." It's clear that the relationship between the team and Bryant is completely fraught--I get the impression that Bryant wasn't prepared for the way Theo Epstein would happily turn to negotiating through the media--and while I was thinking Rizzo getting re-signed was a slam dunk, some of the stuff he's saying now is also making me think that he's guaranteed to be walking, too. So they'll let everyone go on for greener pastures, while exercising Arrieta's option and saying, "Hey, remember 2016? That was really fun, you guys!" for the next ninety-some years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Imagine selling the exclusive story of your breakup to one particular publication / program.

Some people live on a completely different plane of existence than we do.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WaryWarren posted:

I don't know what's funnier about this garbage-time clown, airmailing a throw into the 15th row at Miller Field, being considered for Lindor money or this:

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1382434679631003652

This is why I don't want the Cubs to sign him to some monster ten-year deal. That pitch is all the way out in Waukesha County and he's hacking at it, just as at Wrigley he's swinging at low and away poo poo that's so far off the plate it's practically at the Schaumburg IKEA.

Baez has shown what he is, and the only reason his insane lack of plate discipline hasn't caught up with him is because he has equally insane bat speed.

The guy has never drawn more than 30 walks in a season. Ow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

After starting 0-6 the Athletics have won 11 straight and are first in the AL West after this 2 out walk off error, they didn't get any hits in the 10th inning and won despite being down 2 runs.
]

Something something holy poo poo I need to not post while on painkillers

Timby fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 22, 2021