Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
My favorite Jackie Bradley Jr moment is when he was on a 27 game hit streak and so the manage messed with the batting order to put him in lead off and he immediately went hitless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well he had a chance to go somewhere else after languishing on that losing team for near a decade and chose to stay so either he believes that the Angels can turn it around or he doesn’t really care.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Johnny Bravo posted:

Baseball players in general just don't seem that popular outside of the sport. In the past 30 years, the list of mainstream dudes seems very small to me with Griffey, McGwire, Jeter and A-Rod. I could probably make an argument to include Sosa, Bonds, Clemens and Schilling in that list but 2 of those are almost certainly due to huge cheating scandals accompanying their generational talent and one for being a loud racist in a time when loud racists get noticed

I mean, it’s not a hot take that baseball has seriously declined in national popularity with the explosion of the NFL and NBA. It’s still big in certain individual markets but it’s really suffering among the younger demos. The local Red Sox games get some hilarious ratings numbers where like 90% of the viewers are over 60.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Literally no one in Boston can figure out what the Red Sox are doing. Is John Henry aiming to sell the team? Do they think that going full moneyball will work in a big market with a once diehard fanbase as long as they win? There are absolutely a ton Red Sox fans who value having big names and personalities that make the team more interesting to follow over a roster of interchangeables that might win more games.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Henry is also probably far more interested in European Soccer nowadays.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I watched the 4 hour Jon Bois video on the Marines over the last week and dang.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

What are your feelings about arson?

I mean would any Washington Stats jury convict someone for trying to burn down Safeco?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

Once again white sox fans are disrespected by the national media forgetting about them and assuming cubs fans are baseball's drunkest dipshits.

I’ve always found it strange that the White Sox had a longer World Series victory drought and far less overall success than the Red Sox did but when they finally won in 2005 no one really cared.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

It is because red sox fans spent the entirety of the 1990s whining to ken burns from book-lined studies.

The White Sox didn't even get mentioned in the 10th inning!!!!!!

If he does an 11th inning there will be an hour on the Cubs and 5 minutes on the Giants.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Has a power hitter ever done batting practice with an aluminum bat just to see what happens?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How much better statistically would old timey hitters do with modern day bats?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1370167855711358978

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Things already going great in Cleveland

https://twitter.com/timandfriends/status/1377752647210577928

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Isn’t that PA release by the Braves gonna piss off the players?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The BoycottMLB hashtag right now is an absolutely amazing display of bad takes. This one is my favorite.

https://twitter.com/alexbruesewitz/status/1378072548387270656

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The law is poo poo but like, this actually does do some damage for Atlanta area business right? Especially since I'm sure a lot of the entertainment/tourism industry in that area took a dive from the pandemic too?

Hopefully this will get them to actually look at the law and how stupid they are buuuut I doubt it.

Or am I thinking about this in an entirely wrong way?

I mean boycotts by default cause collateral damage. It’s just how it works. The hope is if the cause is just than the good outweighs the bad.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm not convinced loving AT ALL he did it for the right reason. I guarantee you there were sponsors contacting MLB and telling them to get the hell out of Georgia or we are out. Just like Washington and FedEx. The sponsors just didn't have to make it public before it happening. $$$ rules.

Does it really matter if they did it for the “right reasons”

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So a new narrative going around is that this move is disrespectful to the memory of Hank Aaron. Let that one sink in.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Cats finding their way onto baseball fields is always an amazing adventure.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Reminder that in response to the Dr Seuss company voluntarily taking a few obscure books out of print Republicans raced to reward them by buying out their entire stocks of every book they’ve ever made almost surely giving them their most profitable year ever.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

chilihead posted:

This is a dumb take but contains all the buzzwords used by most slanted websites. Racist,asinine,terrible. My whole point is Georgia voters are the people who need to act and be worried about this and it could really hurt that base. Better to keep the game in GEORGIA and really strive to make change instead of make it a talking point like this person. Georgia politicians were able to make this change based on propaganda which this will only fuel. Your major disagreement will not change rural areas to enlightened voters. You probably believe in what you are saying but your anger is displaced. This could really turn voters off where a grassroots effort surrounding the game can make a difference. Didn't we just witness this two months ago. Go ahead get angry but think about it people.

This isn’t meant to change the minds of racist yokels. It’s meant to stop the laws that will make it effectively impossible for non racist yokels to ever win an election again.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

fawning deference posted:

For what it's worth, Stacey Abrams, while completely in favor of the sentiment around voting restrictions on display, has implored people NOT to boycott the state because she feels it would hurt working-class disadvantaged minorities the most.

I have no confident opinion here, I don't know Atlanta politics, I'm not going to say what the right thing to do is, but Abrams is as much of a Democratic voting-access rights activist as there is in American politics and she takes the position that boycotting would only make things worse for the very people we want to protect. Some food for thought there.

EDIT: I should add, what she proposes is support of legislation currently being drawn up in Congress, and supports activism in helping people who need ID's get them.

She and Warnock need to hedge their bets in public because coming out and saying “it’s good that our economy is gonna take a hit” is dumb politics. Instead they’re taking the road of saying it sucks that companies are doing this but the Republicans and their racist bullshit forced their hand.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

chilihead posted:

And I agree with this. Wholesale. How will this help actual change? This is coming from the heart. Explain it to me I'm stupid. Better to keep it in Goergia. It's super easy to agree on this poo poo on the internet

Making the state of Georgia a pariah in the eyes of the nation is more effective at putting national pressure on the state to fix their poo poo or else. It also signals that the good guys trying to fight against Republican bullshit have the backing of big business which is important in a Realpolitik world.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

chilihead posted:

Yes, it's a big deal. Now more people are motivated to address "cancel" culture then real issues. We don't need to change majority voters or intelligent voters. We just had a national election that showed that still works. We need to change the other vote.

First of all the claim that “now more people are motivated to address “cancel” culture than real issues” is wrong and the only reason someone would think that is if they judged it by the amount of angry people on Twitter. Also I believe your understanding of how the last election in Georgia went down is incorrect. It wasn’t about convincing the poor downtrodden unenlightened Trump supporters that they should change their vote. Because that’s impossible because they are garbage who will happily be poor if a Black person was poorer. It was actually about supercharging turnout among actual good people. These laws now make the ability to turnout like before effectively impossible. So they cannot be allowed to remain.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The idea that people who voted for Biden are "good people" is kinda silly imo. The real thing that happened in GA was that PMCs in the suburbs are trending more democratic and that population is growing in GA at the moment and that long with large democratic turnout in the cities from black people was enough for Biden to win.

"cancel culture" is literally a term with no meaning lol

I was painting with a broad brush with terms like Good and Bad People for the sake of not opening up a discussion unrelated to the matter directly at hand.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Not sure how you got to that from what I posted. Corporate pressure is literally the only way this law is getting changed short of democrats winning statewide which this law is designed to prevent from happening.

Secondary is that large corporate pressure will goose Dems in Congress to do what they need to do to shove through voting rights legislation that forces change upon a state like Georgia whether they like it or not.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

To answer an earlier question on why Georgia’s law are evil despite appearing to be neutral.

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1377999458269548546

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

elentar posted:

Anyway literally no one is going to care about this politically by this time next year, if the Democrats want to hold onto the Senate in general and Warnock's spot in particular then they should turn on the money spigot because that's gonna get a lot more people to the polls than anything immediately sports-related.

This is also correct.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How about use aluminum bats in the All Star Game?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is there some interesting backstory behind why the Tampa Rays have the worst stadium in American pro sports?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They built it in the early 90s to attract a baseball team that didn't show up until the late 90s

Did it seem like less of a dump at the time it was built?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Has there really never been a rain-shortened no-no? No one was clean through 6 or 7 and then had a game get called for rain?

According to ESPN an 8 man committee determined in 1991 that a game must go at least 9 innings to officially be recorded as a no hitter.