Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah if Mike Trout had played in as many postseason series the past decade as Clayton Kershaw, more casual sports fans would know who he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well he had a chance to go somewhere else after languishing on that losing team for near a decade and chose to stay so either he believes that the Angels can turn it around or he doesn’t really care.
I think he cares a great deal but also was easily fooled into thinking the Angels have competent management capable of putting a winning team around him. After all, they have shown a fairly consistent willingness to spend money (their problem is in how they spend the money and how they develop players not named Mike Trout). This happens plenty often. Nolan Arenado was somehow convinced the Rockies were going to turn it around and become a real contender when he signed his huge extension. Of course Arenado is not Trout, so when the team got worse he got pissed, made damning comments to the press about it, and effectively forced a trade. That sort of thing does not seem to be in Trout's nature.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 4, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

playing in a gorgeous stadium
I agree with the thrust of your post in defense of Trout's decision, but lets not get carried away here. Angels stadium is perfectly adequate but falls far short of "gorgeous". If he wanted that piece of the puzzle, along with a real contender, he should have held out to migrate up the 5.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 4, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Johnny Bravo posted:

I don't really have any strong feelings against the Dodgers but man the thought of Trout winning a pile of rings wearing Dodger blue is some real sad feeling poo poo
Well worry not, it's too late for that. It's the Mookie show now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Literally no one in Boston can figure out what the Red Sox are doing.
Perhaps Henry has concluded that the marginal value of another championship in the near future is minimal. They've won 4 this century including twice in the last decade. The stadium is tiny and like Wrigley can probably be filled most nights even with a bad team. So might as well slash costs and coast on the nostalgia for awhile.

Billionaires gonna billionaire.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

According to the study, White Sox fans drink an average of 4.2 drinks per game and spend about $46, placing them in the No. 1 spot of the "Booziest Baseball Fans" list.

So people are paying on average $10.95 a drink, sounds cheap for a modern sporting event.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The drunkest I’ve been at a ballgame was probably either Wrigley or Toronto, also both high on the list. Haven’t been to Comiskey yet.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

DurosKlav posted:

I didnt get drunk at Comiskey, but I did drink enough that by the 5th inning I had to piss really bad. By the 7th inning I was in hell, so I finally went to the bathroom. Problem is I have a shy bladder and standing there with 100+ guys behind me waiting impatiently to piss funnily enough does not make it flow. So I bounced out of there ready to burst but being completely unable to. Then there was a 30 minute rain delay and the game went into extra! I tried once again after the game was over, but still no dice. Then I had a 40+ minute drive back home with my friend before I could finally end my nightmare. So now when I go to a game I wont drink a loving thing all day so as to never repeat that hell.
just sit in a stall and take your time friend

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1370121928241991688?s=21

Big fan of making bases bigger, gently caress getting rid of the shift
:same:

What the game seems to want but fails to articulate is more balls in play. Banning the shift will have minimal if any impact on that.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Joc seems way cooler than Kyle anyway.

I also keep forgetting that Opening Day is April 1st, which is also the day I will be getting my second vaccine dose :toot:
Joc cares about exactly two things: sneakers and hitting massive dingers

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

elentar posted:

Nick Markakis is retiring after 15 seasons. He finishes tied for 54th place in career doubles.
just realized this was the result of Nick Markakis' final MLB at bat

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Seems pretty typical on Cuomo's part to put people on stage next to him who are popular and thus try to absorb some of their goodwill at a time when he's under fire

I'm similarly surprised that CC is allowing Cuomo to use him in this way

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

will they apply this to teams that fail to draw 25% capacity even when full capacity is allowed?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm really not trying to talk poo poo just honestly wondering because there were certainly games pre-pandemic with less than 25% capacity. A mid-week day game between two teams (owners/front offices) that are very obviously not trying to win is going to have poo poo attendance and that's on MLB, not the fans.

The fake crowd noise thing is real dumb so this capacity threshold thing is weird.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

To be fair the Cubs did sign upcoming MVP winner Joc Pederson.
no he’s going to finally win the HRD after coming so close twice before

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

there's a reason he's grabbing his junk in my avy

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Another expose on the Rockies organizational dysfunction today, but this bit really jumped out:

quote:

The Rockies seem to live on an island of one, operating with different standards than other, more successful clubs, even internally. For instance, rather than bring back furloughed part-time clubhouse attendants for the shortened 60-game season in 2020, they assigned more than a half-dozen full-time front-office staffers to work the job of “clubbies,” including shining shoes, cleaning laundry and buying chewing tobacco for players, in both the home and visiting clubhouses at Coors Field.
The use of front-office staffers as “clubbies,” part of the organization-wide effort to maximize an operation team officials already consider lean by major-league standards, lasted for the 30 home games during the 2020 regular season. Members of the analytics and player-development staffs might work their normal jobs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., then assist in the clubhouse from 3 p.m. to 2 a.m.

“I’d be holding a pile of dirty jerseys and a coach would come up to me, ‘Can I get this data for this pitcher?’ (or) something like that,” one former member of the baseball operations department said. “I’d be just like, ‘I can’t do that right now.’”
No wonder their whole analytics department quit.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

this is petty but I'm very much on board with fans buying dumb billboards in other cities to taunt each other

https://twitter.com/alexuur/status/1374052577206226946

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah there's a whole graphic in the Athletic piece illustrating how Bridich has spent $303M on major league free agents who collectively produced -3.4 fWAR as Rockies

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Now if someone from St. Louis bought a billboard in Denver like this to gloat about Arenado, that would come off a bit different to me. But Boston sports fans have accumulated an embarrassment of riches this century.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That tweet is absolutely perfect on it's own, but it's elevated to another level by the fact that she posted it moments before first pitch of the game in which they finally won.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I hope someone buys you a custom jersey with “financial flexibility” on the back
he's a Giants fan, he's more likely in agreement with Granite Frisbee on this one

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Mookie would've been a free agent this year anyway. Maybe Sox fans should buy a billboard in LA thanking them for Verdugo and the prospects.
Turns out this one is already a response to weird Boston things

https://twitter.com/LOOPY_LORD/status/1374088599222644736

We need more petty fan billboards all around.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

This is pretty tangential to baseball, but as a guy with a film degree and a Marlins tattoo, it hit me right in the loving chest. I won't lie to you, it's pretty long and mostly about film, but also it explains why baseball owns just so drat much :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elXLAcl363A&t=230s
I know this guy says several times that he doesn't care about sports, but the way that he talks about baseball in movies makes me think he should give baseball fandom a try.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm counting that as a "reserved" Bauer quote because he didn't go off on some anti-vax rant.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

yes exactly, we all know what that non-quote means so this counts as restraint for our resident dipshit

I'm picturing Stan Kasten standing in front of a classroom with Bauer the only student, spending hours and hours trying to explain how to shut the gently caress up once in awhile. Smash cut to Stan reading this quote in the paper this morning, and a single tear runs down his cheek; success.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 23, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Unless the league is already planning to scapegoat a couple of high profile guys (like Bauer)
It's pretty much what they did about PEDs (ARod) so I wouldn't be surprised if they do similar grandstanding here.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

would be cool if correa was a free agent and we get to speculate which of the three teams that are willing to spend money gets him.
It’s going to be a hosed up winter. Correa, Baez, Story, and Seager all free agents with 3 of those teams signaling they aren’t serious about retaining said shortstop. Yankees get their pick of the bunch while a lockout makes it all moot?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

Which 3? Feels like we're trying to make a play for Baez.

God the CBA is gonna be awful. It has consumed my work life at this point
Seems clear the Cubs are going to go for the classic “we tried” move with Baez. But maybe he’s the one guy from that core they retain for fan service?

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Giants are going to spend big next offseason and Brandon Crawford will be a free agent and also 35 years old (where does the time go :psyduck:). We're gonna be in on all those guys.
You keep your filthy mitts off my NLCS & WS MVP :nono:

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 25, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Your periodic reminder the team valuations are exploding so fast they could all run at a year to year loss and still make money for ownership

https://twitter.com/sportico/status/1375386127360724996?s=21

The average MLB franchise is now worth more than Guggenheim paid for the Dodgers 9 years ago. The Dodgers have apparently doubled in value since then.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That Sportico piece also has 2019 and 2020 revenues by team.

7 teams had 2019 revenues in excess of $400M
7 teams had 2019 revenues between $300M and $400M
The remaining 16 teams were between $200M and $300M

Even the impoverished Rays, Pirates, and A's all had 2019 revenues in excess of $200M. The Padres were over $300M. The "small market" Cardinals were 10th with $388M.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Love 2 run a $40m payroll when revenues are $220m.
look it costs $180M a year to operate a stadium ok

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

blossommirage posted:

My dad didn't even watch baseball last year because he remembered there's a players union due to The Thing and he didn't like that. Didn't even watch when we got to the NLCS for the first time in twenty years.
this is some galaxy brain sports fandom

R.D. Mangles posted:

anecdotally does anyone remember a case of a guy just annihilating baseballs left and right in spring training not immediately going into the shitter once the season starts, i'm asking this for important personal reasons.
Joc spending one of his handful of hot streaks per year on spring training this season is a smart move, get Cubs fans overhyped

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That's what we thought about Kris Bryant

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'll believe MLB can lose a service time manipulation case when I see it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

that may be so, when has the current Pirates FO/ownership ever demonstrated they give a poo poo about their fans?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

All this Red Sox discussion and no one even mentions the extremely lovable Enrique Hernandez??

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Back for more abuse

https://twitter.com/ferdiraps/status/1376358175536869379?s=21

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

These sound like Blaseball players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Plaschke has checked in with his jinx

https://twitter.com/billshaikin/status/1376542594298077186?s=21

He must have read Ben Lindbergh's piece last week and thought "I can make that into a much spicier take"

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1374357925708304386

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 29, 2021