Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I'm starting to think Bobby Witt Jr might end up being pretty good. Weird being excited about a Royals batting prospect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Chief McHeath posted:

Still better than what the card market has become, though I'll admit there are a lot of cool products out there.

This year's Topps Series 1 sells for $150 for a 36 pack box. A 12 year old fan should be able to pick up that box with allowance money and mowing a couple of lawns.

Even at retail, so-called blaster boxes that usually retail around $20 are quickly purchased by middle aged men to sell at a markup. Like, these fuckers will find out when Target gets stocked, creep around the card area, waiting for hours to buy up literally everything the distributor puts on the shelf so they can flip it on eBay.

I went to the local shop and they were selling single packs for 27 dollars a pack. I poo poo you not.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Yeah, I'm happy they are keeping Salvy around. I was happy they kept Gordon around too even when he was no longer 'worth it.'

Also, he is hard to gauge offensively because he has been so abused behind the plate. He played too drat much every season so his back half of the year is always awful. 2020 was a short year so surprise surprise, he was great. Hopefully the Royals learned something from that and realize he is more valuable of you actually rest him some.

Edit: and before anyone hops on this to note 2020 is a short sample, I called it before the season started. I said the best thing about 2020 will be that it means only first half Salvy and that is what we got. So it wasn't exactly an unforeseeable fluke.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

We shouldn't have to suffer through wretched posting in the name of tradition, we need designated posters so no one ever has to read another PFC post.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

This reminds me of the Greinke story when he first got to spring training with the Royals he asked them if they wanted him to throw hard, like 'I can throw hard if you want me to.' It's always been interpreted as him being smart about not overthrowing.

I'm halfway convinced in Zack's mind he was like 'do I have to work at this or will you just let me be funky?'

I know everyone has their favorite Grienke story, but in case it hasn't been shared in awhile:

Mike Jirscle tells this story about telling Zack he was being called up and he pulls him into his office and tells him hey, the Royals are calling you up. Congrats. I'm really proud of you, etc. And Grienke just kind of sits there and goes well I was thinking, could we ask them to send me back down to try shortstop? I think I'd be pretty good. Start me in Single-A and I'll work my way up. And Jirscle is like what are you talking about? You're going to the bugs. This is the dream! And Zack sits there a second and goes. Oh. Okay.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

Can I get more news and fewer views please?

Here's your news, Michael A Taylor is balling out like his life literally depends on it. Two outfield assists. Two homeruns. Nuts.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

It's dumb, but it's also super expected. The ump ejected Nick. The league isn't about to publicly disagree with the ump's call. Someone has to be suspended and only one guy got ejected. The wrong guy imo, but once that initial mistake was made this was the only possible result really.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

A couple years ago Ben Clemens wrote a piece about Greinke I found really interesting: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/zack-greinke-junk-merchant/

It's about the tight wire act balancing risking walks versus risking extra base hits. Old man Greinke is so fascinating to me. A young dominant arm is certainly aesthetically pleasing, but there is just something magical about an old vet relying on their wiles to get by.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Besides conditioning, pitchers are also taller than they were when the sport was codified, and prioritize extension much more than when the sport was codified. So, in a sense, the mound has already moved forward. I don't see any relevant difference between changing the height of the mound and changing the distance.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Lmfao, the insurrection caucus is threatening the antitrust exemption again. Do it Josh, I know you won't.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Meanwhile, here is the actual issue: strikeouts

edit: further context showing all components of TTO

Thank you for this, I didn't realize that it was pretty much only strikeouts that are the problem. Homers may be up but they are such a little blip relatively.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Your theory concerning the trend in the 60s reveals the true answer to our problem. Give us 6 (!) more teams. Dilute that talent pool baby.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Hope Manfred has been paying attention to Blaseball cause they have some good ideas. Give us big buckets. Let hitters bat again if they hit a home run. Add a base. loving murder a player every once in while to keep the team on their toes.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

more falafel please posted:

With all the weird poo poo in Spring Training this year, they came dangerously close to inventing the Shame rule, and I definitely want that.

OG baseball had the shame rule! I learned that from Effectively Wild. But yes, bring that poo poo back for sure.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Chamuska posted:

I like how the umpires had to review this just in case it was Fan interference when the ball clearly landed on the guys plate. 🤣

That was just an excuse for them to watch the chips get demolished in slow mo

"Pretty sure it smashed some dude's plate, fuckin hilarious. Stop the game real quick so you can see it dude."

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Who is currently the king leftballer in the majors? Is it Chafin or does he throw too hard to be a true leftballer?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

ERA+ is affected a lot by era. One reason why Unit and Pedro have such ridiculous ERA+ peaks is that they were pitching in a very high run scoring environment - Randy's 2.48 ERA from 1999-2002 is a 187 ERA+ while Tom Seaver from 1968-1972 had a 2.25 ERA that "only" went for a 157 ERA+.

Tom Seaver is someone who would be in these conversations if his age 27 and 28 seasons were flipped. 3 ERA and 3 K titles in 4 years, but his 1972 season was "only" a 115 ERA+.

If you go back to pre-liveball, Walter Johnson had a 4 year stretch from 1913-16with a 1.45 ERA/209 ERA+ in 1400+ innings. Lefty Grove 1929-32 would also be in the conversation, and he was pitching during the rabbitball era.

I mean... it's adjusted for run environment. What it isn't adjusted for is the depth of the talent pool. So I don't think it is so much that 145 in a 5 run environment is less than 145 in a 3 run environment so much as it is a 145 immediately after expansion is less impressive that 145 when the talent pool is less diluted. No?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

That Bryce hbp....jesus

Yeah terrifying. gently caress.

He's been so good this year too! Goddamn. I hope he's okay and I hope this doesn't get in his head. Cause like... loving hell.

Edit: crazy to see the three batter minimum rule turn into a legit safety concern there too.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 29, 2021

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Should he? IMO absolutely.

Will he? Wellllllllllllllllllll

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1388183017236025350

So the one aspect of the ineligible list anyone actually cares about isn't being enforced. Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I'm a big dummy that didn't know anything about any of this Alomar stuff and now really regret using his card in the Show. Whoever that pedophile Pirates closer was, literally can't remember his name, pretty sure SDS nuked his diamond card from orbit because, sigh, once again I was leaning on that card until the allegations happened (and then SDS rightly nuked him). Anyway, I wonder is SDS will do the same here.

Edit: I need to stop playing DD, maybe that will keep people from being predators. That's how it works, right?