Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Considering the exit velocity revolution, has anyone tried making bats out of ironwood? It's really hard so you could clobber the gently caress out of a ball with it. There's a linear relationship between wood hardness and density, so a 36-ounce ironwood bat would be very skinny, but it might be worth it for the extra power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Awesome stuff, I had no idea about most of those bat facts. I remember when I mentioned the maple bat problem to a classmate around 2010 and he said "Maple bats would hit a ball harder, but they shatter?" He wasn't a baseball fan, just knew a lot about wood.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Reducing attendance also lowers the number of people exposed when someone inevitably spreads the virus. 1 in 800 Texans is currently asymptomatically contagious with covid-19. At full capacity there's going to be a case in every section, probably eating a hot dog, putting everyone within 15 feet of them at risk. 6 feet isn't a magic protective number.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mcmagic posted:

These ST pitching moves where they pull a pitcher in one inning and they come out to start the next inning will never got be hilarious.

God the Blue Jays' defense is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad.

Defense doesn't matter. Recruit thick boys.

That seems to be the logic, anyway. Would be nice to have some more strikeout pitchers with that strategy.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Intruder posted:

I question that decision since it could potentially cost him his job but it's still funny

If the guy in charge of hiring and firing is a Marlins fan, no way he loses his job.

Great trailer. Baseball really needs to emphasize the colourful personalities in the sport.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, come to think of it Johnson probably gets asked more about that bird than coming in to win the 7th game of the World Series that very same year.

According to Johnson, he gets asked about it "nearly as much", and more often than anyone talks about his Cy Young awards or his perfect game.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mcmagic posted:

I literally have no idea but they have a bazillion injuries every year. I doubt it's JUST bad luck every single year...

The Yankees have a policy of hiring guys with injury troubles and hoping to get playing time. That's why they carry a huge IL.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I recall an article about how Harper's number of diving catch attempts plummeted from about 20 in a typical season to 0 in his contract year. He makes diving catches again, but he definitely did not want to get hurt before he got paid.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I wonder what percentage of those sales are Dodger jerseys.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Either make it a forfeit, or do what the Tigers did in 1912: Give the coaches 24 hours to assemble a major league baseball team. (Those Tigers lost 24-2)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Intruder posted:

Wasn't Mariano Rivera only signed as a favor to Ruben Rivera or is that one of those things that you hear somewhere and just internalize it but it never happened

I know that the Yankees planned to demote Derek Jeter and replace him by trading Mariano for Felix Fermin. Their head scout called the GM and threatened to take a poo poo on his desk if they made that move.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sports-themed vaccine ads would have been much better than what we got.

"I'm Mike Trout, and I hit 90% of fastballs in the strike zone. The vaccines reduce your risk of getting sick with the coronavirus by 95%".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

He threw the hardest pitch by a starting pitcher so far this season, and hit the hardest home run so far this season. Beautiful, I really hope he succeeds.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tommy Milone got the save tonight. For pitching the last three innings of the Blue Jays' 15-1 win.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

adaz posted:

31 feet/sec is 21 mph which is legit incredible foot speed. I think olympic sprinters average close to 24 mph and that's without spikes on dirt anyway just nuts

21 mph was his peak speed, Usain Bolt's peak speed was 27 mph. So Acuna's speed is super impressive, but Olympic sprinters are on a whole new level.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Popete posted:

Ok so I looked up the fastest softball thrown by a woman is 77 MPH. Presumably Hope wasn't throwing it that fast which means she must have some nasty movement or pinpoint accuracy.

It's 96 MPH, but that's because Guinness doesn't accept most equipment used by women's leagues. The record for an overhand throw by a woman is still listed at 69 MPH, despite a 15-year-old girl being clocked at 83.

Kathy Arendsen's career stats: 79 no-hitters, 42 perfect games, 265 shutouts and a 0.15 ERA.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A pitch clock would lower the strikeout rate considerably. Pitchers are able to throw harder by taking long breaks between pitches. Crowds used to boo any pitcher who took to long on the mound, but now it's expected. A pitch clock also shortens game time significantly without removing any action.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ramirez went hard to try for an infield single in the top of the 9th, was that a villain move? It's never a crime to hustle to get on base. Trying for bunt hits, or leaning into a pitch, is a villain play, but when a pitch is about to hit you you're allowed to do a bad job dodging.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

I'll put them in my list of possibles. I am looking for an organization with a good culture. If you call out/ don't hire creeps, don't fill your stadium to max capacity in plague times, and pay your players, you qualify.

When Osuna was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend, the Blue Jays immediately said that he would never play for them again, and traded him for Ken Giles.

They're currently allowing a maximum of 1,000 fans at their home games.

They did some service time manipulation with the current young guys, but the team does seem willing to pay big money for players.

They're owned by one of Canada's really lovely telecom companies, so it's probably a factor that they don't want to have bad publicity for the parent company. The team itself seems to have a good culture.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I wonder how much shorter this season will be, in terms of innings played, because of the 7-inning doubleheaders and shorter extra innings. I want Vladdy to get all the at-bats he wants.

For that matter, why the hell is Semien batting first for the Blue Jays when it should be Bichette-Guerrero leading off? Is it that they want Springer to lead off, and don't want to mess with the batting order position for their best hitters?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I told a friend from Chicago I play softball and he asked me what size of ball. I had no idea what the gently caress he was talking about

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mike Trout has a .521 OBP and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is right behind him with .513. It's so exciting to watch them both crushing the ball.

Also Joey Gallo is batting .222 with a .455 OBP, literally more walks than hits.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

deGrom's two-hit, two-hit shutout tonight lowers his ERA to 0.31 and lowers his batting average to .545. He's still got a higher batting average than ERA.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shrecknet posted:

The DH is already optional per the rules, every couple years some manager goofs and an NL team loses their DH for a game. Of note: tje DH can replace ANY position, so you could have your DH replace your Mendoza-level SS on the days DeGrom is pitching.

That's not true, the DH has to replace the pitcher. And even though deGrom is a great hitter for a pitcher, his career average is still below the Mendoza line.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

We gotta lower the loving mound after this season. There's precedent.

Vladdy jumping up to tie for the AL lead in home runs tonight has been fun to watch, though.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I wonder how hard hitters try against a position pitcher

I actually studied this once. In blowout games, position players have an ERA of about 6.00, and in extra-inning games they have an ERA of about 10.00. So when it's a blowout, the hitters often don't give a poo poo and just want to go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shiroc posted:

I know its way down the list of important things, but does Alomar getting put on the ineligible list mean that he should be removed from the Hall? If an ineligible person can't get in, makes sense to take one added out.

Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays weren't removed from the Hall when they were placed on the ineligible list. (They were reinstated a few years later by a new commissioner.) No one has been kicked out of the Hall - although if we start, Anson and Landis absolutely have to get kicked out.