Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Continuing from the last topic...

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Speaking as someone on the outside I’m pretty confident that most people don’t know that Mike Trout is great because it seems that it’s all measured by analytics that most people don’t give a poo poo about.

Like I watched this video the other day

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=92ItQ5h0rSU

And absolutely nothing about it stuck with me and I was just waiting for the dude to tell me what his batting average is and how many hits and home runs he’s on pace for.

But I freely admit I’m a simpleton.
It's not like Trout is just some analytics darling, he's as obviously good as a player could realistically be (in that he's a very big very fast guy and the ball just rockets off his bat) and he's had continual recognition as the best or 2nd best player in baseball basically as soon as he entered the league. The linked video is also insanely boring and just talks about his stats the whole time. There's probably more of those for baseball but there are prominent NBA guys who do that too and can take all the fun out of LeBron James by talking about his foul rate or whatever the gently caress.

He doesn't have a personality and his team sucks but it's not just him in baseball terms. Like I don't know that Betts is famous outside of the context of baseball despite being another all-time great in the making and winning a World Series with 2 of the 4 biggest markets in baseball in the past 3 years. I don't think of Pujols as some household name outside of St. Louis. There aren't many guys who hit the next level of popularity without some combo of steroids and home run records or being a core part of the Yankees when they were winning World Series.

Anyways I remember in January Trout did a sponsored Twitch Warzone stream to ~50 viewers. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

there are 14 players ever to have got 800 hits from ages 35-39

so unless you think Markakis was going to be playing into his 40s then yeah, it was a pretty ridiculous idea
Why not just list players who got 800 hits from their age 35+ seasons. Of which there are many more including guys who are definitely worse than Markakis

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 12, 2021

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Sports are cool.