Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

R.D. Mangles posted:

Jackie Bradley Jr. is a brewer.

I will forever love Jackie and his amazing catches, but his offense is so maddeningly inconsistent that I don't really mind that the Red Sox never seriously tried to resign him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Pussy Boss posted:

It seems like Boston is gonna try to compete this year, but are leaving the door open to rebuilding. Their payroll will be around $189 million which is like 5th in baseball.

If you include the twenty million the Sox are paying Price and Pedroia they have something like the second highest payroll in baseball for tax purposes. For as much as I hate trading Mookie, I've actually liked the moves Bloom has made this year. After the attempt to run it back crashed and burned in 2019 they needed to put some work into the farm system and build up some organizational depth again.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I will go to my grave being mad the Red Sox traded Mookie.
https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1371824727719874562.

That's a hell of a profile too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Ahahaha, holy poo poo, well played.
https://twitter.com/BenHigginsSD/status/1374532220115849216

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

kaworu posted:

Anyway, now I'm living in Colorado again and going back to following the Red Sox for this season, but I gotta say.... am I out of touch, or does this team look especially, um.... spotty and mediocre? I mean... this could be a good team, I guess. But it feels like this 2021 team is gonna be really young, or am I wrong? This really, really looks like the mythical "rebuilding" year, I gotta say.

The Cespedes BBQ kids had the Sox in their could win 70, could win 90 bracket when they were ranking the AL, and that seems about right to me. Say what you will about the Mookie trade (and I will), but the team did spend money this offseason. If everything breaks right, this team could be the 2013 Sox redux, which I know sounds ludicrous, but honestly the two rosters have similar vibes to me. If the pitching stays healthy/competent, and they find a closer (miss you Koji) the team will be competitive.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Guys!

Guys!

There's actual baseball today!!!!

No there's not, Sox/Orioles got rained out :sigh:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/FabianArdaya/status/1378431451490709506

That's a heck of a statement from Buttrey

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Casnorf posted:

Please insist the Red Sox wear those in games.

They are, on Patriot's Day, which coincides with the marathon that has an identical color scheme.

My initial knee jerk was "thanks, I hate it" because I'm not even really a fan of the team's red and blue alternates, but the link to the marathon at least gives it a local flair?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

Is this a new thing? I feel like totems like this or the Cubs waffle iron are newish. Footballs had them for a few years. We need more of these honestly.

I think they started doing it last year.

https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/1379864444923166721

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

I think I have a false memory of watching that game live, but I probably only saw the replay because I was living in Minneapolis at the time and obviously didn't have NESN. Just an absolutely wonderful bit of history. Deserves a documentary short and/or oral history.

it wasn't quite an Oral history, but MLB did publish a long piece on the toss that interviewed the guy who chucked the pizza back in March.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It is funny that Verdugo made a similar game saving catch this week as well. Look, I'm never going to be a fan of the Mookie trade because Mookie's a special player and I wanted him to retire a Red Sox, but Verdugo has been as advertised, and if Downs can do the same -- and so far there's nothing to indicate he won't -- then it's more a trade that everyone benefitted from. Though again yes, don't trade away a generational talent you freaking dopes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Nodoze posted:

Yeah but on the other hand, Verdugo is a piece of poo poo.

Oh yeah, definitely, sorry, I meant to include that, he's a gently caress face for sure.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wait why is Verdugo a piece of poo poo?

he was maybe an accessory to some sex crime stuff when he was still in the Dodgers' organization.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

they can't have ipads in the dugouts anymore so he doesn't have access to realtime analysis of his swing or something

As a matter of fact, the iPads are back, so teams do have access to video in the dugout this season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Don't look now but it's also been a number of years since the Yankee farm system has produced anyone worth a poo poo too.

I dunno, Garret Whitlock's been looking pretty good this season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mike_V posted:

lol is a championship-winning MLB team using the same company that produces lovely overpriced high school rings?

Weirdly enough yes, and the Dodgers aren't alone. Jostens is like *the* jeweler for championship rings.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Anyone know of a way to disable the live score on MLB.TV broadcasts? I tend to pause or load up late and get spoiled.

In the iOS app under account there's an option to hide scores

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I've always enjoyed games at Comerica, the sightlines are pretty good everywhere in the stadium and the Tigers are rarely good enough to make getting tickets a hassle. I did go to a game at old Tigers Stadium, but I barely remember the trip. Fenway is of course my favorite stadium, but I almost never get a chance to go to a game there. I've also been to Citizens Bank Park and Jacobs Field, but only for one game each so I don't have much opinion about either.

My parents have nothing but good things to say about going to games at Dodger Stadium in the Seventies.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/BMcCarthy32/status/1387615449572012035