Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

howe_sam posted:

I will forever love Jackie and his amazing catches, but his offense is so maddeningly inconsistent that I don't really mind that the Red Sox never seriously tried to resign him.

The hot streaks were so much fun, though. And Jackie Bradley, Jr. is an excellent Baseball Name. Brewers fans will enjoy him for his defense and his yearly "hit like Mickey Mantle for a month" stretch.

That the Red Sox went from the Benintendi/JBJ/Betts OF in 2018 to... uh... Renfroe/Cordero/Verdugo is one reason why I'm glad I decided to stop giving a gently caress about the Red Sox when they traded Mookie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Verdugo will probably be above average. Still doesn't make trading Mookie OK.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Wait, can someone remind me of what's going on with Jeffress? Or is this unexpected to everyone else too?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

HOW THE gently caress DID I FORGET CURTIS GRANDERSON, HE IS LIKE THE COOLEST AND THE GOODEST!

Pretty happy with some of my Mets pulls, though. Josh Thole! Xavier Nady! Derek "Operation Shutdown" Bell!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I am definitely going to a game this year once i am properly vaxxed up. Probably not before the ASB tho.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, I should clarify that when I say I'm gonna go to a game I'm talking about going to a Mets game and not until a lot higher percentage of the population has been vaxxed, and that I expect capacity to still be reduced and masks mandatory. I would not, for instance, go to opening day in Texas even if I was a month past my vaccine shot.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I remember when Greinke was entering his walk year with the Brewers, and the Brewers knew they couldn't afford to re-sign him* so the GM was pondering if Greinke would take a significant discount in exchange for being able to make the Brewer's 3rd round draft pick.

* (or rather, they could, but Owners Are Rapacious Evil Assholes)

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 12, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

He's only 2.5 stars in OOTP 21, average at best.

Who tf uses the star scale when the toggle for the 20-80 scale is right there?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

considering how many bad takes there are ITT it's kinda hard to keep track between the ones that people genuinely believe and the ones that are just being ironic

next you'll be telling me that Cubs fans don't actually believe Kyle Schwarber is a good player

Bill James Favorite Toy is in no way anything more than a curio, but after 2018 it had Markakis as a 41% chance to reach 3000. This is, by way of comparison, significantly higher than it had David Ortiz to reach 500 dingers after his age 34 season.

And Markakis was just the latest in a long line of well-tenured good but not great players who had a good year in their mid-30s and got everyone to look at his counting stats. Prior members of this club involve Blue Lives Matter stan Johnny Damon. Who the Toy gave 38% to make 3000 after his age 34 season.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Lmao at anybody believing in the Mets. They're the Mets. Theyre gonna win like 80 games and the Braves'll run away with the East again. Same as it ever was.

Can't wait for the Braves' ownership to pull a Cleveland and trade Acuna and Fried for pennies on the dollar because they want to save money.

Also can't wait until this season, when the Mets are gonna beat the pants off the rest of the NL East.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Slimy Hog posted:

Aren't the MLB.tv streams the local ones?

That's my recollection as well.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Hmm, someone set up a poll for the most disliked baseball players today.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

GalacticAcid posted:

my hatred for cuomo is indescribable

I have loathed that man in ways that I have never loathed anyone else.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

This sucks.

bawfuls posted:

this is petty but I'm very much on board with fans buying dumb billboards in other cities to taunt each other

https://twitter.com/alexuur/status/1374052577206226946

I wish John Henry had to see this daily. I'm glad Mookie won a WS for the Dodgers. I may some day be a Red Sox fan again, but I'm never forgiving Henry and company.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I can see Johnson not really wanting to talk about it because IIRC he was upset about it when it happened. Using a dead bird as his photography studio's logo, tho, is great and would mean he's gotten over it at least somewhat.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, come to think of it Johnson probably gets asked more about that bird than coming in to win the 7th game of the World Series that very same year.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Love 2 run a $40m payroll when revenues are $220m.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Hmm. Hard to tell because of the pandemic, but something in the 10-12/300m-350m range? Mookie has been a slightly better player and signed for 12/365m.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

At least you don't have to score that since nothing ended up coming out of it. Wow.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That's honestly about where I had the deal in my head.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Non-pandemic and non-entering a "gonna be a lockout or a strike" year I think Lindor would be looking at 12/400. But I can't see giving Lindor 35m more than Betts, who got 12/365m. Betts is simply a better player, and signed that contract at the same age as Lindor is now.

What's interesting to me is that the AAV is pretty similar.

e: Like, gently caress all owners, but 10/325 isn't a lowball offer.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 30, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

11/355m. Let's do it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

bawfuls posted:

Lindor also tops this list if you go back to 17, or 16, or 15. You have to go all the way back to 2014 (the season before Lindor's MLB debut) as the starting year before Machado just edges him out by 0.4 fWAR over that 7-year span, and that's counting Machado's 2019-20 time at 3B in SD.

He's 6th if you look at just the last two seasons in FanGraphs. Though Bregman is really a 3B and I'd still take Lindor over Story, Turner, Semien, and X given track record. It's a good troll by mcmagic.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Lindor can be the best SS in baseball this year (Tatis is clearly better but w/e) and not worth a $400 million extension. Both those things can be true.

Yep! And there's going to be a number of excellent SS besides Lindor on the market if he doesn't re-sign with the Mets. And who knows what the hell happens with the CBA negotiations.

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

drat, I did not realize Bogaerts has been this good

X is a fantastic player. Since the Red Sox are turning into the goddamned Indians, though, I expect to see him traded off for prospects by 2023 despite only being owed 100m through his age 32 season.

e: I forgot Bogaerts can opt-out after 2022 going into his age 30 season. If he stays as good as he has been, no way he doesn't opt out. So he'll be gone after 2022 when the Sox offer 5/70m.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 30, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Estadio del Dicks Deportes.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Goddamnit, Mookie.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Both of these are true, the Mets deal is fair and Lindor has every right to see what free agency holds. That being said, I don't think Lindor's going to get that much more by going into free agency - especially with a potential labor stoppage coming.

I hope he has an MVP quality season either way.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I am so loving ready for baseball.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Woo! Hell yes.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That account should have waited 32 minutes to post.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1377589198551670791

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

more falafel please posted:

That's what a ++starter at a premium position with above average defense goes for. If you want to make sure he's going to play for your team for a long time, you have to pay him

I am extremely happy that there's no opt outs. I understand why players want them, it's basically all upside and they should get every last penny they can. But as a fan I like knowing there won't be any need for more contract negotiations, and that they're going to be with the club a long time.

Ogmius815 posted:

It's basically the same as the Mets offer accounting for the deferrals.

Lindor's agent doesn't understand present value vs. future value, apparently. Or maybe he does and Lindor was just holding out for "the biggest deal ever for a shortstop" or whatever.

I think Lindor actually lost $40m in NPV from the Mets offer.

The Mets 10/$325m offer was said to contain no deferrals. If the original deal was a flat $32.5m/year, with a 5% discount rate that's a Net Present Value of ~$250m.

This deal is 10/$341m, with a $21m signing bonus and a flat $32m/year - which is really $27m a year since $5m/year is deferred at apparently zero interest. That $50m deferred is to be paid at from 2032-3041. Running that through the same NPV calculator as the original offer has that total coming to ~$210m.

I'm not a math person and there's value in having a steady income past your playing days, but, uh.

e: is there a prediction thread going around or should I make one?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

LOL at the Red Sox and Orioles being rained out. Extremely baseball.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Prediction Thread posted. I'm 100% confident in all of my predictions.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

No Safe Word posted:

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-fans-guide-to-booing-every-team-in-baseball-16066746.php

This is some petty bullshit but I'm totally here for a lot of it especially the one that says "gently caress the Rangers and their 100% capacity bullshit"

Petty sports rivalries rule. On board with this.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The silver lining is that at least the Nats won't give the Mets covid.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah the Nats need to face some punishment for this

they've hosed with the Mets preparations and future schedule, because somehow after more than a year they still don't think covid is a big deal

honestly I don't see why they weren't forced to play but without the guys who tested positive

It's extremely loving annoying. It means doubleheaders and lost off-days for the Mets.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

ahahahahaaaaa this actually worked holy poo poo

imagine being that thin-skinned over your extremely racist baseball team

LOL, he's gonna end up getting banned for going apeshit on people in the PMs... all to defend the honor of the Chop.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

e: didn't see Hand Knit's post before posting.

Will only re-iterate - can we please, please not turn this into C-Spam.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I can't believe I have to wait over 48 hours for the Mets season to even start.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Intruder posted:

I see you're not familiar with the Oakland Athletics

Honestly, I think the Trop might be worse than the Coliseum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I get it. He was at 84 pitches through 6, so he'd be at 110-120 even if he managed a no hitter and that's a fair amount these days. But at the same time, it sucks so much. Leave him in until he gives up a hit! That'll probably be before 100 pitches anyways!