Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I think what's being overlooked is that a lot of players are using axe handle bats and not axe bats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Really cool cards from an era when baseball cards were hot poo poo, but not a ton of value since hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of copies were printed.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Still better than what the card market has become, though I'll admit there are a lot of cool products out there.

This year's Topps Series 1 sells for $150 for a 36 pack box. A 12 year old fan should be able to pick up that box with allowance money and mowing a couple of lawns.

Even at retail, so-called blaster boxes that usually retail around $20 are quickly purchased by middle aged men to sell at a markup. Like, these fuckers will find out when Target gets stocked, creep around the card area, waiting for hours to buy up literally everything the distributor puts on the shelf so they can flip it on eBay.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

The card market has exploded in the last year or so along with a lot of other hobbies because people have money to spend and nowhere to spend it. So the raw boxes are way up in price because people are trying to flip the cards they get in them. Very bizarre to me because regular Topps Series 1 is very vanilla usually.

It hasn't only been this year, after Trout debuted in Topps 2011 Update Series (some other key rookies like Altuve and Rizzo), those boxes and packs shot up in "value," even before they were released. The Judge year was crazy. The Ohtani year was crazy. I've since stopped buying cards in any meaningful way, when the new Topps hits shelves, if any of it is there, I'll pick up a $6 twenty card pack just to check out the design and maybe I'll get a card of a dude I like.

When I was a bit more into it (more into it meaning every third or fourth Wal-Mart or Target trip I'd buy one of the $20 blasters), I did find some incredible stuff, but don't for a second assume any of this is common or likely.

$20 box of 2017 Topps Series 1 (Judge's rookie year), pulled a Judge autograph #XX/25. It came out of the pack with a dinged corner and I still sold it for $925 on eBay.

$6 pack of 2017 Bowman, regular Bowman, not Bowman Chrome, got a Nick Senzel autograph #XX/25, also with a dinged corner. Right now a similar copy is priced at $150, and I sold mine for $310.

Around the same time I stopped at the one card shop left in town and they had a 2011 Topps Update Trout rookie, again with a dinged corner, and it was the blue bordered parallel that you could only find in packs sold at Wal-Mart. I bought it from the guy for $80 and less than a week later got a Buy it Now offer for $450.

I guess maybe the highly valuable but imperfect card market is one I should have dove into.

And I also have a special hatred for the "breakers." It's one thing if you buy a box of cards and want to make a YouTube video in case you get a surprise hit, but gently caress the people who get to pre-purchase from Topps fifty loving cases of whatever new product and just by pure volume increase their chances of getting their hands on the high-value cards, paying their jeweler to assess the quality and making tons of money to do it again. And surprise! Topps only made 200 cases, and one customer just got 25% of the product!

Sorry, I have feelings about baseball cards.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The 1/1 Mike Trout Superfractor autograph sold for almost $4 million.

https://www.beckett.com/news/2009-bowman-chrome-mike-trout-superfractor-sells-for-3-84-million-most-ever-for-baseball-card/

So for the low, low price of $15,000, you could own a Mike Trout autograph, but not the Mike Trout autograph.

https://www.blowoutcards.com/sports-cards/baseball-cards/2012-older/2009-bowman-draft-picks-prospects-baseball-hobby-box.html

Or one of these guys:
BDPP76 Tony Sanchez Auto
BDPP77 Eric Arnett Auto
BDPP78 Tim Wheeler Auto
BDPP79 Matt Hobgood Auto
BDPP80 Matt Bashore Auto
BDPP81 Randal Grichuk Auto
BDPP82 A.J. Pollock Auto
BDPP83 Reymond Fuentes Auto
BDPP84 Jiovanni Mier Auto
BDPP85 Chad Jenkins Auto
BDPP86 Zack Wheeler Auto
BDPP87 Mike Minor Auto
BDPP88 Jared Mitchell Auto
BDPP89 Mike Trout Auto
BDPP90 Alex White Auto
BDPP91 Bobby Borchering Auto
BDPP92 Chad James Auto
BDPP93 Tyler Matzek Auto
BDPP94 Max Stassi Auto
BDPP95 Drew Storen Auto
BDPP96 Brad Boxberger Auto
BDPP97 Mike Leake Auto

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

actionjackson posted:

so a superfractor is gold and there's only one, and a red refractor is red (duh) and there's only five, and so on? is that the only difference

Same photo on the card, just with a different border or color. The 1/1 superfractor has a pattern physically printed on the card, I would guess they avoid stamping the pattern over the signature itself. This example is a facsimile signature, yes, they do all of these for the autographed as well as the unautographed cards:

Red is /5, Orange is /25, Gold is /50, different products do different levels at /99, /150, /250, /499. But wait!

Instead of having just a different color, there might also be a Red Wave/5, Orange Wave /25 and so on. Same color, but they have a vertical or angled "wave" underneath the chrome coating.

So the Superfractor 1/1 will be more valuable than the Red Refractor 1/5 will be more valuable than the Red Wave Refractor 1/5 will be more valuable than the Orange Refractor 1/25 will be more valuable than the Orange Wave Refractor 1/25 will be more valuable than the Green Refractor 1/99.

But the retail exclusive Mega Box ($50) also has Retail Exclusive Superfractors and Red and Orange and Green and Blue refractors that might be more valuable because baseball cards don't exist in a fun/collecting space anymore, they exist in an investment space.

Like, Mike Trout is a great. But if I had unlimited funds, I think instead of spending $4m on Trout, I'd spend $5m on a graded PSA 9 Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps like this rear end in a top hat did. But to that end, with unlimited funds, I'd wait for one of the three PSA 10 Mantles.

https://www.beckett.com/news/1952-topps-mickey-mantle-sells-for-5-2-million-highest-ever-for-a-baseball-card/

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Any Dick Pole card is priceless.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Great American Ballpark brought to you by Skyline Chili

Make it happen, Reds.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

A bunch of you all said "ball" lol that's what they call the testes is balls

But anyway, the TV at work has Sling, and it's probably going to be slow, so I'm gonna have baseball on all day and then go home and watch more baseball and also do plenty of poo poo posting, it's gonna be a good day.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

MLB is now played by two people with wiffle balls and bats, ghost runners, ghost fielders and one umpire who decides what's a hit/out and how far the runners advance.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

rickiep00h posted:

I swear to gently caress runners on in extras is the worst loving thing.

I was engaged in other subjects last summer and didn't really follow Covid Season Pt. 1 or really even watch any games, but... I don't mind it?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

No humidor for the HRD please. I want to see beefy lads hitting 650 foot bombs

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Fuckin good for him.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I still lol that Rougned Odor's brother is also named Rougned Odor, as well as their dad, Rougned Odor.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Blake Snell has the most god-awful facial hair, maybe of all time.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I mean, yeah, that's bad, but it could at least be considered quirky or intentionally corny. Blake's is just like, why?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTQpX--WRz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7e40AWDvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do91IFXGuX8

e: Chris Welsh is fantastic in these.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 10, 2021

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Sorry to hear Marte injured himself with an ill-techniqued self-suck attempt.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Somewhere on Cubs Twitter, someone is REAL MAD about fraternizing with the opponent.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Adam Duvall started in center today. In San Francisco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

More like Bad Guerrero

lmao gottem