Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jackie Bradley Jr. is a brewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Once again white sox fans are disrespected by the national media forgetting about them and assuming cubs fans are baseball's drunkest dipshits.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’ve always found it strange that the White Sox had a longer World Series victory drought and far less overall success than the Red Sox did but when they finally won in 2005 no one really cared.

It is because red sox fans spent the entirety of the 1990s whining to ken burns from book-lined studies.

The White Sox didn't even get mentioned in the 10th inning!!!!!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm puzzled, jeffress was really good for the cubs last year, how did he only get a minor league deal, you'd think any team trying to win would...oh right.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1368659821906391040?s=20

i liked underwood, but how can i say no to Shendrik Apostle.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The city of Chicago is allowing up to around 8,000 fans at both Wrigley and Comiskey starting opening day.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

took a sporcle quiz to name all cubs opening day starters from 1990, and while i was incredibly proud of a few pulls (mike fontenot, junior lake, carlos pena, ian stewart, and somehow pulling marlon byrd from the deepest recesses of my brain) i was very disappointed to see that i did not remember mark bellhorn, jeff baker, bill mueller, how to spell mark grudzielanek, the fact that i conflated grudz and mark de rosa into the same guy, and forgot about SAS favorite darwin barney. i also completely forgot about the cubs playing the legend of mike olt at third while they hosed with bryant's service time, anyway if you are bored at work i highly recommend taking a sporcle quiz and trying to remember some guys.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

more falafel please posted:

Think you got the year wrong, unless you're thinking of Les Lancaster, Lloyd McClendon, and Luis Salazar.

Oh man yeah thanks for the recommendation, I am currently Remembering Some Guys

It was all opening day starters from 1990-2020.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I appreciate that even during a pandemic baseball players are still finding ludicrous ways to injure themselves.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/1370191589025271808?s=20

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

a-rod and j-lo need to seek immediate marriage counseling on the Mike Francesa Show.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Oh my goodness gracious! Of all the dramatic things, of all the dramatic things I've ever seen, A-Rod and J-Lo standing right in on the New York Post announcing they are back.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the American People deserve a Javier Baez bounceback season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

we had a beer league softball game that ended in a tie and the umps left but we just decided to keep playing so i was able to illegally bat out of order and hit a walkoff dinger that we decided to count as our only win of the season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

what other celebs/athletes from other sports have taken a pa in spring training? i remember russell wilson did, like, two or three years ago? and i think he did ok?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6lLHVrRu_k

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

(tim mccarver voice) one celebrity who played in spring training? that's garth brooks, not a lot of people know that, joe

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i love remembering that Trent Jabroni exists every year for approximately 15 minutes in march

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

do they make normal baseball cards anymore which are just lovely cards designed to be beaten up by a child that have very bad pictures of guys that you won't remember are in the league within 5 years or are they all fancy ones with uniform patches and stuff for old collectors.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The athletic has a deep dive into the Drake LaRoche saga.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

"seth mcclung"

-seth mcclung

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

those hats are from MLB's Frozen Ropes Collection

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

would be cool if correa was a free agent and we get to speculate which of the three teams that are willing to spend money gets him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

would be cool if eloy did a schwarber return in the playoffs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

anecdotally does anyone remember a case of a guy just annihilating baseballs left and right in spring training not immediately going into the shitter once the season starts, i'm asking this for important personal reasons.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

That's what we thought about Kris Bryant

that's not true, kris bryant constant barrage of spring training dingers were not clearing the fence in the exact way that the cubs thought was optimal and he was clearly going to spend 2015 in the minor leagues until cubs superstar Mike Olt got injured

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this organization is a loving joke

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

I assume you're referring to MLB in general if you mean because of service time fuckery

no i was referring to the cubs who do more of this nickel dime poo poo than any other big market team because in a year where they are telling the fans that the first half record determines how many beloved players they are going to sell off for nothing at the deadline they would rather go into the year without their best team to save a meaningless amount of money.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

At least the Cubs are putting Adbert on the opening day roster.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

finally some Baseball News that isn't depressing
https://twitter.com/HagemanParker/status/1375851438279114754?s=20

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cubs are hoping that this is the year that by my estimate 12 year veteran dillon maples finally figures out how to throw a strike.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1376566513151401993?s=20

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I will never forgive the vile Tony Wolters for the 2018 wild card game.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

E: never mind, i owned myself

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i feel like between the pandemic and the grim inevitable destruction of my favorite team for no reason i am really not into opening day, but i'm sure i'll be one pitch into tomorrow's game and immediately get sucked back in because i love this dumb, dying sport.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 1, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's Coomer Season

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's not boog's fault but he sounds like he's doing an impression of a baseball announcer, it drives me nuts every time i would catch a game on ESPN radio and it freaks me the gently caress out when i turn on a sox radio broadcast and get len kasper.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Eh, the best broadcast team in Chicago is Bonetti and Stone. :colbert:

no one's disputing that, benetti is the best in the business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It is so loving cold today for the cubs opener, love that April baseball.