Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Literally no one in Boston can figure out what the Red Sox are doing. Is John Henry aiming to sell the team? Do they think that going full moneyball will work in a big market with a once diehard fanbase as long as they win? There are absolutely a ton Red Sox fans who value having big names and personalities that make the team more interesting to follow over a roster of interchangeables that might win more games.

It seems like Boston is gonna try to compete this year, but are leaving the door open to rebuilding. Their payroll will be around $189 million which is like 5th in baseball. They have a lot of big contracts: Sale, JDMart, Xander, heck, Eovaldi is making $17M this year. They kinda have to go for it, and its possible that Sale and E-Rod come back healthy, Martinez, Devers and Chavis bounce back, Verdugo continues to play like an All-Star, Franchy realizes his potential... They made a couple of nice low-key moves signing Kiké Hernandez and trading for Ottavino. It's not crazy to think they make the playoffs if everything breaks right. But if not, they might very well tear it down at the deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/NBCSPhilly/status/1367903409605648388

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1367913056135692289

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

elentar posted:

Nick Markakis is retiring after 15 seasons. He finishes tied for 54th place in career doubles.

Markakis was super consistent, and perpetually underrated by people who undervalue OBP, and made nerds mad when anyone said it'd be cool if he reached 3000 hits. All in all a good career.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

there are 14 players ever to have got 800 hits from ages 35-39

so unless you think Markakis was going to be playing into his 40s then yeah, it was a pretty ridiculous idea

:thanks:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Covid definitely robbed some cool players of counting stats. For example it sucks that Bryce Harper's age 27 season was only 60 games.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

what other celebs/athletes from other sports have taken a pa in spring training? i remember russell wilson did, like, two or three years ago? and i think he did ok?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Gov. Cuomo announced today that the New York teams can have fans in the stands. He's recently been accused of sexual harrassment/assault by at least 7 women, and is also caught up in a scandal over sending covid-infected patients to nursing homes and covering up the resulting deaths. Many Democrats in NY and nationally have called for him to resign. McMagic is saying that Mets and Yankees reps shouldn't be appearing with Cuomo at events right now since it looks like the teams are supporting him.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Mookie would've been a free agent this year anyway. Maybe Sox fans should buy a billboard in LA thanking them for Verdugo and the prospects.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants hit 4 dingers off Zach Plesac, and Logan Webb allowed one hit and struck out 7. Start the season.

TBF Jose Ramirez and Franmil Reyes didn't play and the rest of Cleveland's lineup seems like a bunch of scrubs. Don't see them scoring a lot of runs this year.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

That's a long contract for a guy who can't stay healthy. Not sure this deal is that great for the Astros, but good on them for locking up one of their guys longterm.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

It’s going to be a hosed up winter. Correa, Baez, Story, and Seager all free agents with 3 of those teams signaling they aren’t serious about retaining said shortstop. Yankees get their pick of the bunch while a lockout makes it all moot?

The Giants are going to spend big next offseason and Brandon Crawford will be a free agent and also 35 years old (where does the time go :psyduck:). We're gonna be in on all those guys.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/Jim_Duquette/status/1375141087656960007

That really sucks. Hope he makes it back this year.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Luke Voit has a meniscus tear and is out at least 3 weeks, making Jay Bruce the Yankees opening day first baseman.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well Scott Kingery got optioned to the minors

That extension has been a disaster

Contracts like that are so stupid. It puts the player and the team in an impossible situation if he struggles, and could literally ruin a prospect. Give em a year to establish themselves in the bigs before you start talking about arb buyouts, IMO.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

TheFlyingLlama posted:

If a team is seriously hurt by a Kingery like contract at 4 million a year contract them

I don't think anyone said it seriously hurt them.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Back in December the Reds traded their closer Raisel Iglesias, and his $9M salary, to the Angels for Noe Ramirez, a mediocre RP. Today they cut Ramirez, who has re-signed with the Angels. So yep they salary dumped their closer.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I don't think it's a hot take to say Lindor isn't in the Trout/Betts tier. He's still a really good player who will make a shitload of money. As the fangraphs list shows, a lot of his value comes from defense, and that will decline as he ages. 118 wRC+ is very good but not elite. 10/300 sounds right to me. Don't sign players into their 40s IMO.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Lindor can be the best SS in baseball this year (Tatis is clearly better but w/e) and not worth a $400 million extension. Both those things can be true.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

if he doesn't sign with the Mets this week then 7 months from now you are gonna be demanding the Giants give him a blank check lol c'mon man

Blank checks are bad. Pujols and Miggy Cabrera got blank checks. Anyway Marco Luciano might stick at short. Giants don't need to sign one of the big name shortstops if the price isn't right.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I felt like doing an effort post about the Giants. This is not exactly a "meet the team" post, more like what my expectations are for this season.

Ok so a decade ago the Giants won 3 World Series in 5 years, but I'm not gonna dwell on that

Ahem. Those teams will be loved forever in San Fran, but honestly they were never 100-win powerhouses. There was plenty of luck involved, "bullshit" even. Brian Sabean hit on a string of high draft picks (Posey, Belt, Crawford, Panik, Lincecum, Cain, Bumgarner) but he was an old-school GM from a scouting background. The Giants were one of the last teams to embrace moneyball. Outside of the big names, their drafts were atrocious. Look up a SF top prospects list from like 2015 and it's Adam Duvall and a bunch of guys you never heard of. They never had any depth, the upper minors were a wasteland. Sabean's FA signings were pretty bad too. When the core began to age, with no help coming from the minors, the team bottomed out in 2017 and 2018.

Enter Farhan Zaidi.

Under Zaidi, the Dodgers were, and are, the model of a smart, stats-oriented, big-money team. They spend money where it's be most effective, notably on international signings. They build deep rosters with tons of pitching, use surplus SPs as multi-inning relievers, and platoon hitters and play them at multiple positions. They find guys like Max Muncy and Justin Turner in the minors. This is the model that Zaidi brought to San Francisco, and Giants fans are hoping that it starts paying off soon.

In his first 2 years, Farhan hasn't made a splash in free agency. Tommy La Stella is our biggest signing so far, at 3 years/$19M. And yet Farhan has already reshaped the team:

- signed Mike Yastrzemski to a minor league deal. Yaz spent years in the Orioles system without making it to the big leagues. He hit .297/.400/.568 last year and recieved MVP votes

- Signed Donovan Solano on a minors deal. Solano was a journeyman with MIA and NYY, but he's hit .328 in 2 seasons with the Giants, and won a silver slugger

-Signed a slew of starting pitchers. Kevin Gausman was good enough last year to earn a qualifying offer. Giants took a flyer on Drew Smyly and he earned himself $11M from the Braves this year. This offseason we brought in Alex Wood, Anthony DeSclefani, and Aaron Sanchez.

-So much depth. Zaidi got Mauricio Dubon from the Brewers for two months of Drew Pomeranz. He's starting in CF. Alex Dickerson has a .947 OPS for us as a platoon OF. This guy always had big power but couldn't stay healthy. Got him from the Padres for "Franklin Van Gurp". IF Wilmer Flores has an .830 OPS on an extremely cheap deal. Plus a bunch of minor league hitters.

- Totally revamped the bullpen. In the last few years, we've brought in a few relief pitchers: Jake McGee, Jose Alvarez, Matt Wisler, John Brebbia, Sam Selman, Jarlin Garcia, Tyler Rogers, Nick Tropeano, Trevor Gott, Nick Vincent, OK you get the idea. They haven't all been winners, but some have shown enough promise that I think our bullpen can be at least average, without any big-name guys.

2020 was supposed to be the last year of the rebuild. Instead, Covid happened, and our top prospects didnt play, except for Joey Bart who was promoted before he was ready. We have a wave of hitting prospects coming: Bart, OF Heliot Ramos (who torched the Cactus League this spring), SS Marco Luciano, and more. Now Giants fans are hoping they make an impact in 2022.

So 2021 looks like a transitional year. Most of the big contracts expire at the end of the season, and the team should make a splash in free agency next year as the prospects come up. But the team hit surprisingly well in 2020 and I think they could surprise people. A winning record is totally possible, although playoffs will be tough with the Dodgers and Padres in the division. Some Giants fans are getting impatient, but Zaidi gets an A+ from me.

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 1, 2021

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

more falafel please posted:

I love day baseball but it's weird that there's just no games on right now.

deGrom vs Scherzer was supposed to be on right now, but covid happened

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Why is it the Nats fault their players got sick? Did I miss a story about them flouting covid safety or something?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Players travel across the country for work, passing through airports, hotels, and sports stadiums full of fans, workers, etc. They aren't quarantining in any meaningful sense, and its lovely to blame people for catching a highly contagious disease.

Also its news to me that the vaccine is universally available now. I'm still on a waiting list.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sydin posted:

Because the vaccine has been available to players for a while now,

I honestly didn't know this. Got a link?

Julio Cruz posted:

...did you miss all the news articles about the players getting the vaccine early?

Genuinely, yes. Mind posting some?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

If I'm vaxxed by the break I would totally go to an All Star game at Coors. Hell yeah.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Kirios posted:

I still can't believe the Marlins won that trade. I thought it was a slam dunk one for the Yankees.

Everyone loves a huge contract until the player starts to decline. Stanton was pretty young when he signed the extension, but he already had multiple injuries and a body type that doesn't age well. Turns out Jeter was right.

Teams seem to be getting a bit smarter about megacontracts tbh. The Harper, Machado, Betts, Tatis, Lindor etc contracts will have some bad years on the back end, but at least those players were still coming into their prime when they signed, unlike Pujols and Miggy who were already in their 30s.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

lol

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

I despise Nike so much

Yeah I don't like any of their new NBA jerseys and this has the same low effort photoshop vibe.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Eleven Nats players are still quarantining including Turner, Lester, Schwarber, Corbin, Bell, etc and they're gonna play three games in two days? This is gonna be like when they made the Broncos play without a quarterback

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Man, Kershaw owned the A's last night. 7 innings, 4 baserunners, 1 run. Seems like every year he has a few bad starts, or his back acts up, and people start writing him off, and then he just keeps on dominating.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I get my first shot next week and I've been daydreaming about all-you-can-eat sushi for a year. Chinese buffets had better come back.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

When did they ever shorten inning breaks? That's never been on the table, it is precious commercial time and therefore sacrosanct. We need to cut down game time so we can squeeze in MORE commercials, you see.

They shortened commercial breaks in 2016 and again in 2019. https://www.mlb.com/glossary/rules/pace-of-play

quote:

MLB lowered the time between innings to 2 minutes for local broadcasts and nationally televised games in 2019. MLB had instituted times of 2 minutes, 5 seconds for local broadcasts and 2 minutes, 25 seconds for nationally televised games in 2016, decreasing these times by 20 seconds from where they were previously. Prior to the 2018 season, MLB established a separate time of 2 minutes, 55 seconds for tiebreaker and postseason games.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Lance Lynn shut out the Royals with 11 Ks. First CGSO of the season I believe.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Trevor Rosenthal had surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome. The same surgery Matt Harvey had where they remove part of a rib. Most guys don't come back from it.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Today's game in Minnesota is cancelled due to the police murdering another black person.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

holy poo poo that's half the team

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Johnny Cueto has a 1.80 ERA in 3 starts, including narrowly missing a CGSO, so of course he's headed to the IL with a lat strain. Story of his Giants career.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Mets/Rox postponed due to snow

https://twitter.com/jflan816/status/1382896280335220741

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/1383110758741934080

This will just be for a few days, and dude is super young. But he throws 100 mph from a sidearm-ish delivery, which is intriguing to say the least.