Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dinosaurs! posted:

outside the rules the sport should stop discouraging players from expressing their personalities.
For real. I remember when Oscar Tavares died, one of his teammates wrote "OT RIP" or something on his hat and the league fined him for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cant finish with a losing record if your games never end in a definitive loser!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

The city of Chicago is allowing up to around 8,000 fans at both Wrigley and Comiskey starting opening day.
So are the Marlins, in an act of hubristic optimism.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Isn't Seattle like... middle of the pack for attendance MLB wise?

I know they don't pack them in because they have been bad for so long but... it's not TERRIBLE is it?
Safeco Field is a loving gorgeous park but Seattle is surrounded by some of the most gorgeous mountains/rivers/city life/rain forests/archipelagos/snowskiing/waterskiing/imaginary Germany-themed town imaginable, so the four months of the year that aren't 42 degrees and drizzling Seattleites take full advantage of. Baseball isn't high on the list

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Pirates's star pitching prospect is a 25 year old they drafted in 2014 who couldn't get out of the first inning yesterday against the Rays B squad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Chamale posted:

Great trailer. Baseball really needs to emphasize the colourful personalities in the sport.
This is pretty tangential to baseball, but as a guy with a film degree and a Marlins tattoo, it hit me right in the loving chest. I won't lie to you, it's pretty long and mostly about film, but also it explains why baseball owns just so drat much :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elXLAcl363A&t=230s

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

And yet Jongo Dorts remains unsigned and is probably gonna be on the Long Island Ducks this year

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Me, ugly crying into my rizzo jersey.
This is why I only buy jerseys of middling guys who hung on for a few years, Pat Rapp and Juan Pierre can't ever break my heart by winning a championship somewhere else.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62gIZ5WHK4g

lol

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

marioinblack posted:

I think the MLB should do the right thing and put the ASG in a ballpark everyone adores and that has never been the subject to any issues ever. It's time for Tropicana Field to host the ASG.

The Trop gave us dickshot.gif, I approve

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Smh at everyone forgetting that before it was the Trop, it hosted the Lightning and was called the Thunderdome! :science:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/ctrent/status/1378500024141815809

Baseball is so good y'all. I don't know any other sport that has players that are active fanboys of living legends like this.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

davecrazy posted:

What a way for the Mets to win. Bases loaded hit by pitch.

A noble tradition

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's surprisingly hard to get simple answers sometimes!

So ERA+/OPS+ is normalized to an 'average' player, right? So 100 would be a league-average player?

What is an 'average player' worth in WAR? What does a 0 WAR (aka replacement-level) player OPS+/ERA+? Is it necessarily recalculated year-to-year?

Said simply, what is the difference between Average and Replacement-level, as a slash line and as OPS+/ERA+?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So OK. The Townsville Towns give 500 ABs to Rick and 500 ABs to Tony. Tony puts up a 100 OPS+ season. Rick puts up a 0.0 WAR season.

What do Rick and Tony's slash lines look like in 2020?

Is Tony a 2 WAR player?

What is Rick's OPS+?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Intruder posted:

I was just making a joke since it's the third inning

I guess I could have done a better job conveying it

What was a Dodger fan doing there in the third inning?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eventually we will have enough advanced stats and modeling that we can skip the arduous process of playing baseball games and skip straight to post-season awards and modeling for the next season based on last season's results. Fans who demand the games be played just get in the way of this eventuality.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

davecrazy posted:

I get that but these takes are something else from reporters.

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1383246577167335433?s=20

Apparently the game was temporarily suspended due to fans throwing stuff on the field?

Did Aaron Judge literally take a poo poo on home plate or something?

Didn't the Rays go to the World Series last year? As in, "the Yankees lost to the defending AL Champions"? Why is that some federal crime to Yankees fans?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

deGrom has struck out 9 Rockies in a row

the major league record is 10 by Tom Seaver

When did Tom Seaver strike out 10 Rockies?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/ethanbudowsky/status/1383608487230382085
https://twitter.com/RealShelfy/status/1382676814355701760
Jazz is very fun and cool and loving raking right now, so let's go fish :shobon:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Or you're a Marlins fan where every win is getting to ruin some other, competitive team's day and lucking in to the post-season is playing with house money

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1384690269761720325

BASEBALL! :fry:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tweezer Reprise posted:

degrom today single-handedly convinced me that (mortal) pitchers hitting is good. i think if they implement universal DH they should have a grandfather clause like for the spitball where if a pitcher wants they can force their team to let them hit when they start

The DH is already optional per the rules, every couple years some manager goofs and an NL team loses their DH for a game. Of note: tje DH can replace ANY position, so you could have your DH replace your Mendoza-level SS on the days DeGrom is pitching.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ambassador of Funk posted:

N: The Giants and Dodgers are tied for first place of the division almost a month in, just like we all expected.

V: The Giants are...good? :confused:

I'm ready to have my heart broken again.

Year ends in odd number, dont get your hopes up

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Marlins are the only team in the NL East with a positive run differential (+9).

The Marlins are in 4th place.

:coolfish:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Casnorf posted:

When was it ever not?

Er, also, I wouldn't take mcmagic as a vertical slice of SAS. More a, I dunno, extremely vocal sports talk caller.

McMagic is the mythical "long time caller, first time listener"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MiLB but DBAP is a glorious park and they kept the "Hit Bull Win Steak (hit grass win salad)" sign from the old park Bull Durham was shot in.
https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1129157123034820613?s=19

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

seiferguy posted:

- Safeco/tmobile, probably my favorite for Homer reasons. They do constant renovations and it still is a great experience overall experience, especially in terms of food:
hell yeah fried grasshoppers my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

phosdex posted:

Oh yeah, I suppose. Some of the cards have some pretty hilariously terrible art, so it's interesting to check still.
e: holy poo poo

yeah but there's also wild (and cool) stuff like this (that's the 87 wood-bordered set, ummm, reimagined)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 30, 2021