Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

rickiep00h posted:

Seems like the question of hardness is answered by maple tending to shatter. If you get too hard with it and too skinny, the stress on the bat hits a point where the hardness is a liability more than a benefit. That's not to say people won't try in the future, but I would be surprised.
Maybe I'm misreading your post, or that quote, but I think "maple tends to shatter" doesn't mean "maple bats are less durable" but rather "maple bats are more durable, but when they do break they shatter sending pieces everywhere instead of ash which splinters and cracks."

I think size/weight is probably the biggest issue with going harder. Hickory is harder than maple and used to be common many decades ago, but fell out of favour due to weight, so it's not like players don't know harder and heavier bats are possible.

bewbies posted:

The best wood solution is probably something like a bamboo core surrounded by hickory or maple but I think that's against the "rules" also.
The rules say a single solid piece of wood, so yes a composite would be against the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

WATE 6 is a Tennessee TV channel, too. Odd.
The original story is from WPIX a new york channel, so that explains it. Most stories are written once and then copied around on all the sites owned by the same media conglomerate.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I can't grab the moment of impact on that lovely gif, and I can't tell if it's fair or foul, but that's an inch or two at most.