Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Welp, after getting my first two doses of Pfizer in April, I joined the Moderna crew for a booster today. New CDC guidance is that mixing and matching is safe and authorized, and based on preliminary testing may produce a stronger antibody response than 3 doses of the same series.

Pfizer didn't do much to me, so let's see if Moderna kicks my rear end twice as hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

orange juche posted:

Gonna get the 3rd round at some point soon, my 5G signal seems to be getting a bit spotty. Any recommendations for which brand of microchips?

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html#considerations-covid19-vax-booster

quote:

Individual benefit-risk considerations for selecting which booster dose to receive

For groups recommended to receive a booster, people have the option to receive any of the FDA-approved or FDA-authorized COVID-19 booster products (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna [50 µg in a volume of 0.25ml], or Janssen). People may consider the benefits and risks of each product and discuss with their healthcare provider which product is most appropriate for them.

Clinical trial data show that homologous COVID-19 booster doses (utilizing the same vaccine product for the primary series and booster dose) increase the immune response against SARS-CoV-2 and have an acceptable safety profile for all FDA-approved or FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine boosters (Pfizer-BioNTechpdf icon, Modernapdf icon [50 µg in a volume of 0.25ml], or Janssenpdf icon).

One study of heterologous (mix-and-match) booster dosing showed that all three of the FDA-approved or FDA-authorized vaccine boosters doses led to a strong serologic response in groups primed by all three vaccines. For a given COVID-19 primary vaccine series, heterologous boosters elicited similar or higher serologic responses as compared to their respective homologous booster responses.

tl;dr From the US Centers for Disease Control, getting another dose of the same vaccine type you got for the primary series is good, but mixing and matching is also good, and may even be better, but there isn't enough data to say for sure yet.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

orange juche posted:

So get whatever wallgreens offers then.

Pretty much. When I went to Safeway on Friday - because the bastards at my local Walgreens wouldn't do walk-ins and turned me away - the pharmacist on duty asked which of the vaccines I wanted as my booster. tbh I didn't really care too much, because the best booster is whatever you can get ASAP. That said, I didn't want to take a dose of Pfizer that could be better used for kids, especially since it was just authorized for children 5 and up. Since the Moderna vaccine isn't yet approved for minors in the US, I figured that was the better choice.