Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Too Long; Didn’t Read:
- Delicious food recipes here
- New to the forums or home cooking? This post can help orient you: Cooking with Goons: A Guide to Offal Cooking.

Welcome to the General Recipes Thread; your destination for goons posting recipes for good eats! Easy or hard, college student or pro; it doesn't matter. Its purpose is to be a convenient reference page linking to recipes that have actually been tried, tested, and digested :downsrim: by fellow forum posters. Cross-posting, pictures and videos are encouraged; if it's from off-site or a book, throw up a link (in addition to transcribing it) so that others can check it out. Try to be descriptive (or humorous) and include any dietary qualifiers (kosher/halal/vegan/etc.) you feel are necessary. Why insist on typing? Why not just use links? Books go out of print, accounts can be suspended, region blocking is still a thing, and sites sometimes just stop existing. Goons With Spoons itself has a Wiki that’s at least fifteen years old... but as far as I can tell, it hasn't been updated since 2014. It happens; people are busy, mobile browsing used to be rear end, and “there’s no app for that”. Hopefully this thread will be more convenient when looking for inspiration. If you have any questions about someone's recipe, don't hesitate to ask. Post your recipes here and I'll put up a link with your name and a short description in the second post. Finally: recommended websites, books, and apps will be added to help aspiring home cooks. Post any that you use on the regular.

And remember; Life's short, you should probably just-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqZVihpOACE

Books
- Looneyspoons

Websites
- Goons With Spoons Wiki: Hasn't been updated in quite a while, but it's still linked to in the TL; DR above.
- Imgur: A free image hosting site. Note: If you do not have an account, any uploads you make will be deleted after one year.
- The Woks of Life: Asian, with a focus on the provinces of China.
- Allrecipes: A little bit of everything.
- Budget Bytes: A little bit of everything, with a focus on cost-per-meal.
- The Food Network (USA): A little bit of everything, with a focus on the celebrity. :v:
- It's Not Complicated
- Just One Cookbook: Asian, with a focus on Japanese cuisine.
- Modern honey

Youtube Channels
- Food Wishes: A little bit of everything, with a focus on Western cooking. Chef John.
- Cooking with Mikey: Asian, with a focus on Sichuan Province, China. Mike Chen.
- Pro Home Cooks: Formerly Brothers Green, a little bit of everything with a focus on scratch cooking, experimentation, and home fermentation. Mike G.

Apps
- Awful - SA Forums Browser: :newlol: Trust me; following this thread while trying to prepare something will be a lot easier with this on your phone/tablet/smart kitchen assistant. Free.
- Paprika 3: A mobile app with an inbuilt browser that can scrape recipe websites. Fully editable, includes photos, custom sorting with nested categories, plus Favorites and a 5-star rating system. Has a one-time fee.
- Libby: A mobile app that lets you borrow ebooks from your local library network (if they’re supported). Free.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Delicious food here:

life is killing me: Marry Me Chicken, pan-seared chicken breast finished in the oven in a spicy sundried tomato, parmesan, and cream sauce!
- Easy Crockpot Sausage & Tortellini Soup, a soul food dish of stuffed pasta and loose spinach finished in a creamy, saucy, sausage soup!
- Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Bacon; if you're going to have spaghetti without spaghetti sauce, this is the dish to make! https://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/creamy-butternut-squash-alfredo-pasta/
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff, the classic beef, mushroom, and noodle dish in a creamy sauce with wine!
- Pan-Seared Cod in White Wine Tomato Basil Sauce (with the added step of a dry cure)! https://bakerbynature.com/pan-seared-cod-in-white-wine-tomato-basil-sauce/

ulmont: Dad's peanut brittle using Karo syrup and raw Georgian runner peanuts!

Carillon: Mom's chicken and rice with mire poix and cream!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD: Marinated rack of lamb with chiles, cilantro, and honey! Recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi.
- Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin finished in cast-iron with a parsley and cilantro Chimichurri sauce!
- Lemon Chicken with Herbs de Provence, marinated and baked with herby, lemony goodness!
- Chicken Tonnato, a sous vide breast pounded and seared, topped by a savory, mayo-like tuna sauce with capers and chives!
- Shrimpy Boys, sauteed shrimp on toast using garlic, paprika, and vodka!
- Roasted Eggplant with Anchovies and Oregano, another recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi; soft eggplant, with savoury, umami flavours and fresh oregano!
- One-skillet steak and spring veggies, sous-vide strip steak seared in the pan, accompanied by peas and asparagus, and finished in a spicy mustard sauce! https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/one-skillet-steak-and-spring-veg-with-spicy-mustard

Pookah: Mushroom, Spinach and Cranberry Wellington! [Vegan]

Mister Facetious: Swiss Army Milkshake, a modular template for a smooth blended beverage using frozen fruit! [Vegan option available]
- Shanghai Scallion Oil Noodles (葱油面), Mike Chen's vegan recipe for an easy, flavourful noodle dish with basic ingredients (with added shrimp)!
- The quesadilla, that delicious gestalt of crisped tortilla(s) encasing meat, cheese, spices and veggies, in this instance using pork loin, bell peppers, and cheddar!
- American Southern Biscuits, those soft, pillowy, and tender bread morsels, with a satisfying outer crispiness and pull apart layers topped with melted butter!

Doll House ghost: Tsuivan, a Mongolian dish of handmade noodles steamed above a stew of julienned vegetables! [Vegan option shown]

Guildenstern Mother: Cold Sesame Noodles: didn't go to the store again and now you're completely out of food? Simple ingredients, easy substitutions, lots of flavour, good eats!

feedmegin: The Cornish pasty, a pot-pie you can hold in your hand! One, a classic potato onion and beef (minus a rutabaga), and potato cheese and onion for the second!

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 5, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ok Paprika is badass already and I’ve only downloaded one recipe so far. Also thanks for this thread, my wife and I are always on the lookout for new recipes and anything we see that is prep-and-freeze and easy to reheat we will go after since we will soon have a newborn and will be tired.

The following is a recipe we’ve been doing a couple of years and it has never once disappointed. It really is that good, whenever my wife makes it, I begin to feel especially amorous but whatever, the actual name of this dish is probably better for being PG-rated. You really need a cast iron pan for this, I suppose you could do it without one but with a cast iron it’s much easier and you go from stovetop to oven with a single pan. Not sure about nutritional value or any religious or ethnic okay-to-eat stuff, but aside from chicken being lean protein I’m not sure it’s especially great if you’re trying to lose weight or even maintain weight.

Know that the sauce will be impossible to get off any utensils and cookware if you just leave it out (due to the Parmesan), so you’ll have to use something abrasive like plastic wool or steel wool before even putting poo poo in the dishwasher. Just leaving stuff soaking in water or even water plus dish soap won’t be enough. I’d say this is the only negative associated with cooking this dish. I also would recommend you have a properly-seasoned pan.

Marry Me Chicken
★★★★★
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins | Servings: Servings: 4

Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
3-4 Large Chicken Breasts
Salt
Pepper
2 cloves Garlic (minced)
1 teaspoon Thyme
1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (may add only 1/2 teaspoon for less spice)
3/4 cup Chicken Broth
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/2 cup Sundried Tomatoes (chopped)
1/4 - 1/2 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
Fresh Basil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large oven-safe skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper and sear until golden, about 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate.
Return skillet to medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in thyme, red pepper flakes, chicken broth, and heavy cream. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in sundried tomatoes and parmesan cheese.
Return chicken to skillet and spoon sauce all over the chicken breasts. Bake until chicken is cooked through -- about 15-18 minutes. Garnish with basil and grated parmesan cheese, if so desired.

Source: https://www.modernhoney.com/marry-me-chicken/

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 6, 2021

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Here's my family peanut brittle recipe (which I'm sure came off of a Karo syrup bottle or similar). This is from my father with regular annotations.
Starting with raw peanuts and cooking them in the sugar mixture is the key part of the procedure - a lot of other recipes I've seen (for example, Alton Brown) use already roasted peanuts and it just isn't the same. Weights are just from whatever run I was paying attention to.

Stuff:
2 cups sugar (around 14oz)
1 cup light Karo syrup (corn syrup)
⅔ cup water
¾ teaspoon salt
2 cups raw peanuts (around 10oz)
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon baking soda

Grease some tinfoil on the counter to pour it out on. Peanut, olive oil or butter will do. (do this first).

Use a deep heavy skillet, cast iron if available (I've never made this in cast iron; my father apparently has; I've always worked in a pretty generic 12" skillet or similar).

Put in 2 cups of sugar, 1cup light Karo syrup, 2/3 cup of water, about 3/4 teaspoon of salt. Mix and bring up to heat.

Measure 2 cups raw Georgia (or whatever you got) runner peanuts, 1 tablespoon of butter or whatever facsimile is available in your house (my parents apparently use smart balance), and one teaspoon of baking soda and set aside.

Stir the candy mixture and cook the water out until the candy will string off the spoon like a spider web. (8-10 minutes, but can go longer; runs 11 minutes on my gas stove).

Add the peanuts and keep stirring. This is a lot of stirring because you want to cook the peanuts and the candy evenly.

Cook until the peanuts begin to look roasted and the candy begins to color. (3 minutes, sometimes as many as 5). I have read that southerners like the "almost burned" caramel taste best. Use your nose to smell it and watch the color. (You want to smell the peanuts cooking and that's really where you can move on).

If someone is available have them dump in the teaspoon of butter so you can keep stirring. Quickly stir in the butter and then have them put in the soda. Stir like mad and the chemical reaction will add the co2 bubbles to the candy to lessen the density. People like that a lot but don't know how you get it that way.

Keep stirring and start pouring out on the tin foil. Be careful not to trip over dogs or cats, at this point this stuff can be used as a substitute for napalm.

Cool break up and eat. When we put it up we make several batches and mix them up so that if one is a little better or god forbid not as good it gets distributed. It makes about 3 zip lock quart bags per batch.

(Calories for the curious
1548 sugar
100 butter
1588 peanuts
960 karo
=
4196 total

Shopping note:
4 pound bag of sugar - 4 batches (around 1/2 pound left)
2 bottles of Karo - 4 batches (none left)
3 pounds of peanuts (around 1/2 pound left))

I tend to make this around the holidays and give out to friends etc.)

ulmont fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 7, 2021

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Carillon's mother posted:

Chicken and Rice

To keep {my sister} from complaining about the celery, {my mom would} smithereen it in the food processor. If you leave it out, it will not be as good.

-1 whole chicken about 4 lbs

-2 cups chicken broth

-2 celery sticks, cleaned and small diced

-½ a large onion, small diced

-2 carrots, peeled and small diced

-salt and pepper

-a large shake of thyme

-a large shake of sage

-a medium shake of dried parsley

half and half to taste, about 3/4 cup

In a large pot, place washed chicken with all the ingredients except half and half. Simmer with lid on for about 45 minutes to an hour until chicken is well-cooked and the legs easily come off the body. Remove chicken to a plate to cool, then separate into large chunks. Using a gravy separator or a large tablespoon, remove fat from broth. Return chicken to broth and add half and half. Warm all the ingredients together but don’t let it boil with the half and half in it.

Serve with cooked rice and a vegetable. Peas and carrots go well with it.

This is my mother's recipe and it's on that I make the most often from the inherited repertoire. It's easy enough, but man is it delicious. These days I'm almost certain using fresh thyme and sage. I'd almost always add in smashed garlic and a bay leaf or two. I definitely don't wash the chicken like she did either. Otherwise it's warm, comforting, and really, really good! It's nice too that every time I make it, it can come out differently. Sometimes it's soupier, sometimes tighter, I've added some pasilla peppers or ginger too it depending on mood and ingredient availability.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thank you for making this thread I was too much of a wuss to make.

I look forward to contributing heavily here. I am in the process of scanning and OCRing my parents' massive recipe files, which date back to the 80s and include magazine cutouts, book scans, the whole nine yards. I know what's best in here – there is some truly mindblowing poo poo – and I look forward to sharing it with all of you.

Here is a recipe my family refers to as "best lamb ever." It's by Yotam Ottolenghi.

Marinated rack of lamb with cilantro and honey

2¼ lb / 1 kg rack of lamb, French trimmed (you can ask your butcher to do this)
2/3 oz / 20 g flat-leaf parsley, leaves and stalks
1 oz / 30 g mint, leaves and stalks
1 oz / 30 g cilantro, leaves and stalks
4 cloves garlic, peeled
½ oz / 15 g fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
3 chiles, seeded (KOTEX note: this can be overpowering; try 1/2 jalapeño, or skip.)
½ tsp salt
3½ tbsp / 50 ml lemon juice
4 tbsp / 60 ml soy sauce
½ cup / 120 ml sunflower oil
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 tbsp water

1. Make sure most of the fat is trimmed off the lamb, leaving a uniform thin layer that will keep the meat moist and add to the flavor. Use a very sharp knife to separate the rack into portions of 2 or 3 chops. Place in a nonmetal container.

2. Blitz together all the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pour them over the lamb and make sure it is well covered in the marinade. Refrigerate overnight.

3. Preheat the oven to 400°F / 200°C. Heat up a heavy cast-iron pan, preferably a ridged grill pan. Remove the meat from the marinade and shake off the excess. Sear well on all sides, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with foil, and cook in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the rack sections and how well you want them cooked.

(KOTEX note: rack of lamb is super easy to overcook, I have always gotten best results taking it out at 15 mins, and that is with huge racks I get at costco. You want it nice and medium-rare pink inside. You don't want gray. My mom suggests removing it at an internal temp of 125 degrees, if you have a thermometer.)

4. Meanwhile, heat the marinade in a small saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Put the chops on serving plates and serve the sauce in a separate bowl. Both the chops and the sauce can be served hot or at room temperature.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This is my take on a chefsteps recipe, and is the best pork tenderloin I've ever had. People are very particular about their chimichurri, this is the one I like most but try whatever suits you.

Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin with Chimichurri

1. Make dry brine: combine 5 parts salt to 2 parts sugar and stir. Total weight of dry brine should equal 1.5-2% of the tenderloin’s weight.
2. Prepare sous vide bath at 136 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. When the water is heated, dust the tenderloin all over with the mixture. Warning: do not do this until you are ready to cook it! A longer cure will ruin the meat.
4. Place into quality ziploc bag, we use Ziploc brand freezer bags, and lower gently into water, using displacement method to remove air.
5. Cook for 1 hour 30 minutes.
6. While the tenderloin is cooking in the bath, prepare chimichurri. I used this recipe in a blender to turn it into a green sauce rather than a loose herb oil.

• 1 1/2 cups well packed (42g) fresh parsley
• 1/2 cup well packed (20g) fresh cilantro
• 1/4 cup (9g) fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
• 1/4 small red onion or one small shallot
• 3 garlic cloves
• 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
• 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 1 tsp salt, or to taste
• 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, more or less to taste)
• 3/4 cup olive oil

7. In the last ten minutes of the cook, prepare a super hot cast iron pan.
8. Sear for 1 minute total: 30 seconds on 2 sides. Do not exceed time, as this will further cook the tenderloin.
9. Cut tenderloin into medallions and spoon sauce over them. Serve immediately.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Here's a Mushroom, Spinach and Cranberry Wellington recipe I put together for my vegan mother.
Obviously, it can easily be de-veganized :)

Serves 4-6
Ingredients:
1 pack pre-rolled puff pastry (the standard size here seems to be 375g)
400g medium or large mushrooms
400g frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed
2 medium onions
Cheese of your choice - we've used vegan applewood and vegan spicy cheddar and both were great. Usually end up using 6 or 8 slices
Handful of fresh or dried cranberries.
Salt n black pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg
Dried thyme

Method:

Preheat oven to whatever temp your pastry says.

1. Dice your onions very small, and fry them gently in oil until very soft and sweet. Put aside to cool completely.

2. Slice your mushrooms fairly thickly - around 1 cm is fine.

3. Fry them in oil/butter/butter substitute on medium high - We use a butter substitute for the extra richness of flavour compared to oil, so if you're not concerned with being vegan, butter would be delicious.

4. Season liberally with salt, fresh black pepper and about 1/2 tsp dried thyme.

(Temperature is important; the idea is to cook them fairly quickly so they shed their water and to get it to mostly dry off, without cooking the mushrooms so much that they lose their structure completely - shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes, but I haven't timed it.)

5. Stir the cranberries in, then put the mushrooms aside to cool completely.

Assembly:

Unroll your pastry on to a suitable baking sheet and spread half the onions longways down the middle of one of the long sides - you will want to be able to cover the filling by drawing the other side over the whole, so make sure to leave room - on the outside edges leave about 2cm as a border.
Cover the onions with half the spinach - spread it out as evenly as you can, then grate a little nutmeg over it.
Put a layer of your cheese on top of the spinach
Carefully pile your mushroom/cranberry mixture on top, then repeat the layers in reverse - cheese, spinach+nutmeg, onion.
Draw the other side of the pastry over the filling, and seal the edges in the usual way - I use a little soy milk and press with a fork to seal, then pleat the edges over so they are a bit thicker to prevent them getting overcooked.
Make a couple of cuts on the top to let the steam out, and brush with whatever glaze you want (or none).

Bake until well-risen and golden - I think it's about 30-45 minutes but I didn't time it either :blush:

I've made it a few times and it has always come out really well - the filling is nice and solid, so it slices very neatly and looks good on a plate.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 7, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Swiss Army Milkshake

I named it that because as long as you maintain the ratio of liquid to frozen fruit (between 10:6 and 12:6), you can pretty much turn this shake into whatever you want it to be; the actual ingredients are easily swappable. Vegan? Use non-dairy milks. Don’t drink? Swap out the booze. Cutting calories? Swap out the syrup. Are you a mad scientist? Use jam instead of syrup. The specific amounts are because that’s what the fill line is on the smoothie cup for my blender; feel free to scale up or down. At 10:6 it will be rather thick, but you can still use a soda straw (I haven’t tried using yogurt). Serves 1-2.
Note: If you use a 1:1 ratio you've basically got soft-serve ice cream; grab a cone and a piping bag!

Strawberry Chocolate Mint
- 6 oz. frozen strawberries
- 7 fl. oz. 2% milk
- 2 fl. oz. chocolate drink syrup
- 1 fl. oz. Rumpleminz Peppermint Schnapps

Add all ingredients into a blender. Blend for 20 seconds to a full minute, depending on the strength of your machine. Garnish with a mint leaf/strawberry/chocolate chips. :effort: Enjoy.

Maple Vanilla Banana
- 6 oz. frozen chopped bananas
- 8 fl. oz. almond milk (vanilla)
- 2 fl. oz. dark maple syrup (amber and light won’t have enough flavour to get through)

Same as above, but garnish with a sprinkle of fresh ground nutmeg.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 8, 2021

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Tsuivan is a really good, satisfying, carby Mongolian noodle dish. Usually it's made with meat (and you can definitely swap meat in if ya wanna) but this version is inspired by the best vegan restaurant in Ulanbaatar, Luna Blanca, and mongolfood.info.

Tsuivan

Ingredients:

Noodles
300 g plain flour
2 dl water
vegetable oil

Stew
1,5 dl TVP / soy mince / your favourite protein
300 g carrots
300g cabbage
1 bell pepper
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1 mild chili
salt/ soy sauce
pepper
vegetable oil

How to: Noodles

Knead the water and flour into a smooth ball and let it rest while you prepare the other ingredients, around 15 minutes.

Split the dough into 4 even pieces and roll the pieces out into thin round disks that fit onto your frying pan. Place one disk on a plate, spread vegetable oil onto the surface of it and place another disk on top. Repeat for all disks.

Add a little oil onto the top disk and flip onto a frying pan on low heat. Warm on one side for a few minutes, repeat on the other side. The goal is not to fry the disks, but to dry the surface. A little color is fine.

Cut the fried disks into strips the width of a pinky finger. They don't need to be completely uniform, just about the same size.

How to: Stew

Cut your vegetables into narrow strips. The carrot, onion and cabbage are essential but you can freestyle with anything you would like to add – sweet bell peppers are a nice addition when in season.

Rehydrate the soy protein according to the instructions of the product, if using dried.

In a large, preferrably thick-bottomed pot (that has a lid), sauté the onion in vegetable oil. Add the carrot and any other hard vegetables that require a longer time. After a minute or two, add the soy protein – add vegetable oil if things get sticky. Add the garlic, bell pepper and chili, season with black pepper and salt or soy sauce.

Add the cabbage, mix and cook until the cabbage has clearly lost some volume.

Add water to halfway up the vegetables, add the noodle strips on top and cook with the lid on for 15 minutes. Check that the noodles are done by taking a chopstick or fork and separating the noodles. If the noodles easily separate, they are done. If they are noticeably sticky, let them cook for longer.

Remove the pot from heat and mix everything together. For seasoning, add a dash of soy sauce.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Good Tex-Mex restaurant-style Mexican rice and/or queso dip recipes plz?

I know I’ve asked for these at least once in GWS but I have yet to find a recipe for either that produces satisfactory results.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thank you for recommending Paprika, I can't remember the last time I paid $30 for a Mac app that wasn't a bideo jame, but boy howdy is this a great one, money well spent.

My only problem with it so far: is there a way to import my OCR'd PDF scans? It has a website parser, but I was surprised to see it can't parse a plain old text document. I considered converting the PDFs to HTML and running the web browser through those, lmao.

Anyway here's another killer recipe, courtesy of my mom, no idea where it came from originally. This is soooooooo good, every time.

Lemon Chicken with Herbs de Provence
3-4 portions

3 lbs. bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
1 ¼ cups fresh lemon juice (about 5 lemons)
½ cup flour
1 Tbsp Hungarian sweet paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
1 ¼ Tbsp brown sugar
½ lemon, thinly sliced
½ Tbs herbs de Provence

One day before serving, place the chicken pieces in a shallow dish. Pour the lemon juice over and marinate in the refrigerator overnight, turning occasionally.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Remove chicken from the lemon juice; reserve the lemon juice.

Combine flour, paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Dredge the pieces in the flour mixture and place skin side up in a shallow baking pan.

Bake for 40 minutes. While the chicken is baking, whisk the reserved lemon juice, the stock, brown sugar and lemon slices together. Pour this over the chicken when it has baked 40 minutes and sprinkle with herbs de provence. Bake 20-30 minutes more, basting occasionally.

Can be served hot, room temperature, or cold.

Recipe can be doubled.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 9, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

God damnit I will not let this thread die. Here is another amazing weeknight chicken recipe. It sounds weird, but trust me, it's amazing.

Chicken Tonnato

Ingredients:
Two-ounce can anchovy fillets in oil
Three-oz can tuna in oil (or water)
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp water
1/4 tsp tabasco sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp capers
2 Tbsp chives
2 chicken breasts

Directions:
1. Prepare a sous vide bath at 149 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. If breasts have bones, remove them. Pound the chicken breasts until they are an even thickness. Salt and pepper them thoroughly, place them in a ziploc or vacuum-seal bag with a glug of olive oil. If using ziploc bags, use the water displacement method to eliminate the air.
3. Sous vide for 45 minutes for 1" breasts, or 1 hour 30 mins for 1.5" breasts.
4. Meanwhile, combine all other ingredients, except the capers and chives, in a blender. Note that if you have a full size tuna can, use about 75-80% of the can.
5. When the sous vide is complete, remove the chicken, dust lightly with flour and thyme, and sear in a very hot pan for a minute. If using skin-on breasts, sear skin side down.
6. Slice chicken into medallions, coat generously with the sauce, and top with capers and chives.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I too don’t want this to die. Need more recipes.

Here’s one my wife and I just started making a few months ago. It’s simple enough, tastes great, and though it’s a soup it’s hearty and filling without making you feel like you might typically feel after eating Italian food: bloated and slow-moving. You know what else? This poo poo actually tastes even better the next night as leftovers. And I do mean the next night—unfortunately I don’t feel like it keeps very long. Mostly done in crock pot, and the tortellini itself is thrown in toward the last 15-30 minutes depending on whether it’s frozen or refrigerated.

It’s worth mentioning that you are not loving it up if the cream cheese isn’t fully melted around three hours in. The recipe has you cube it so it will melt easier, but it’ll still be chunky for a bit. Don’t worry, it’ll work itself out and melt so there are no chunks, it just takes awhile. I was freaking out the first time I made it because I didn’t want cream cheese chunks in my soup. I don’t even loving like cream cheese unless its flavor is buried well underneath other flavors in a cooked dish (i.e. it’s used as a substitute for something else like heavy cream, as I suspect is the case in this recipe) so if it didn’t melt, I wasn’t gonna eat it. Then in the last 45 minutes it was fine.

Easy Crockpot Sausage & Tortellini Soup
★★★★★
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 4 hours 30 minutes | Servings: Yield: 6 people

Ingredients:
1 lb Italian sausage, browned, drained and chopped
1 15 oz can Italian diced tomatoes, (add a 2nd can if you really love tomatoes!)
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth, 32oz container
8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
1 20oz bag frozen cheese tortellini
3-4 cups fresh spinach
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
½ tbsp black pepper

Directions:
Add the sausage, broth, diced tomatoes (1 or 2 cans, depending on how much you like tomatoes!), cubed cream cheese and seasonings to your slow cooker. Stir well, and cook on low for 4 hours (or until the cream cheese has completely dissolved).
Stir in the spinach and frozen tortellini. Cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the pasta is done to your liking.
Serve immediately! Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Notes:
Once the soup is cooked, be sure to turn off the crockpot instead of leaving it set to warm. The tortellini will continue to cook if you leave it on, which could mean your soup gets overcooked. Slow cookers are great for locking in the warmth after cooking, so don't worry about your soup getting cold as long as you keep the lid on!
You don’t have to use frozen tortellini, but if you choose to use a refrigerated option know that the soup will cook a little bit faster. I recommend checking to see if they're finished cooking after 15 minutes instead of 30 in this case.
If you like your soup a little spicy, I recommend adding 2 tablespoons of red pepper flakes with the other seasonings at the beginning!
No Italian sausage? No worries! This soup tastes great without the added meat too. You can also substitute for any leftover meat you might have, like shredded chicken, turkey or ground beef. If you are using leftover protein, add it into the soup mixture when you add the frozen tortellinis so that it doesn't overcook and dry out.

Nutrition:
Serving Size: 1 cup
Calories: 450 calories
Unsaturated Fat: 0 grams unsaturated fat

Source: https://www.mimosasandmotherhood.com/easy-crockpot-sausage-tortellini-soup/

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 13, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is there already a SA recipe club? That could be a way to pack a little more into this thread. I've been lurking and will surely post when I can think of something!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

^ - The Goons With Spoons Wiki used to collate goon recipes, but it's been effectively abandoned for years. This is the simpler, more convenient option. I'm hoping posters that upload great pics in the other threads post those recipes here for others try out.

Mike Chen's Shanghai Scallion Oil Noodles [Vegan]

Simple and easy vegan noodles, but I like adding shrimp to mine now and then. Serves 1-2, but can easily be doubled (except the onions!) for 2-4.

- 8 oz. fresh hand pulled noodles (check refrigerated foods section)
- 8 oz. thawed, peeled and deveined shrimp (I use 75-80s because I'm a cheap bastard, but you really should use 25-30 or even larger) [OPTIONAL]
- 7-9 green onions (reserve 1-2 as a garnish, cut fine)
- 4 fl. oz. neutral cooking oil
- 1/2 Tbsp. granulated white sugar
- 1.5 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 1.5 Tbsp. light soy sauce

Add oil to a 10-12" pan and start heating on low/medium-low.
Take the root end off the green onions, cut into 2-3" lengths, and add to the pan. Fry, stirring and flipping occasionally for about twenty minutes; they will eventually look dark brown to approaching burnt on the thinner, drier green ends. Try to keep an even, single layer.
While they're cooking, set a pot of water to boil for the noodles. You want the water to be boiling by the time the onions finish cooking, but if you're not using shrimp, don't worry about it.
As you approach the twenty minute mark, pull any green onions you think are getting too close to burning. When the onions are done cooking, reserve half on a plate lined with paper towel and salt to taste.
Add the soy sauces and sugar to the oil and remaining onions, and the shrimp as well. At this time, add the noodles to the boiling water.
Cook both for about three minutes, kill the heat on each, then drain and lightly rinse the noodles.

Serving options:
Now as a single person I just sauce and toss in the pot because I'm not worried about sharing the shrimp, but if you have company, evenly divide the noodles and sauce into bowls for each person, and garnish with the fried and unfried green onions. While not traditional, chilli oil/sriracha/etc. spice options are a good add on.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 14, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah the GWS wiki was a great idea but unfortunately died out really quickly.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I didn't go to the store again and now I'm completely out of food Cold Sesame Noodles

Ingredients: *

quote:

1/2 lb pasta, spaghetti or linguine ideally
Garlic 1-2 cloves
Ginger
Peanut Butter the crunchier the better
Soy Sauce
Sesame Oil
Garlic-Chili Sauce (sriracha or something better if you have it)
Rice Wine Vinegar (white vinegar will probably also work)

Start some water boiling, enough for about half a pound of pasta. You can salt it but the sauce is going to be salty so I generally don't bother.

While that's going on grate a clove of garlic and some ginger into a large bowl. (if you have to skip this you can its ok I understand)

Add one large spoonful with peanut butter (crunchy is better but creamy works), 3-4 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1-2 tablespoons sesame oil, 2-3 tablespoons of sriracha or other garlic chili sauce, and a splash of rice wine vinegar. *

Mix and taste. It should be way too flavorful, but adjust for balance here. More sesame? More garlic chili sauce? You do you boo.

Cook about half a pound of pasta and when done add to the bowl with the sauce and toss with tongs or a fork or whatever. Leave it to cool, occasionally remembering to toss it to hasten cooling and distribute sauce.

Once its cooled it can go in the fridge until you're ready to eat, but its fine slightly warm if you're hungry now. If you're a fancy pants and all your produce isn't either gone or wilted beyond recognition add some chopped cilantro, green onion, or maybe even carrot. Crunch is great in this, and the cold serving temp makes it a great lunch, especially with a cucumber salad, but if you'd gone to the store recently enough to have a cucumber on hand we wouldn't be in this mess.

*These are gross approximations, start small you can always add more later.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Do you use sweetened peanut butter, or natural? I find natural peanut butter to be surprisingly close in flavor to roasted sesame paste. If the former, how much sugar would you recommend adding?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I think it was jif. Its very old and doesn't get much use. If you're using natural I'd taste first before adding, it might not really need it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

This one actually requires some prep to make because it’s about a bitch to cube a loving butternut squash, and that’s after you’ve peeled it. But if I’m going to have spaghetti without spaghetti sauce, this’ll be the dish. Prep this the night before or in the morning when you have time—I for one don’t have a ton of counter space and don’t want it filled up with a huge cutting board and all the ingredients, so at least peeling and cubing the squash ahead of time goes a long way. If you wanna prep all the ingredients in ramekins too, it’ll be an easy drag and drop into the food processor and all you have to do is cook the noodles (we prefer vegetable noodles, they have some semolina still but it’s mostly vegetables—you can use whatever pasta you want in any shape).

When you’re peeling the squash you don’t necessarily need to remove the pulp because that sucks to do; just remove the seeds and cube that poo poo. It’s all getting blended to a fine processed sauce toward the end so it doesn’t really matter. You do need a food processor, and I hope it’s a big motherfucker because just the squash cubes alone will fill that sucker up if it’s small like mine is. If it is small, you can halve and divide all the ingredients and do two batches so you don’t have a mess later

Anyway, enjoy—just about any vegetable side should go well with this.

Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Bacon
★★★★★
Menu Regulars, Pasta
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins | Servings: Yield: 6

Ingredients:
3 strips of applewood bacon
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup diced red onion
1 garlic clove
3 cups butternut squash cubes
1 cup low sodium chicken stock
1 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup 2% milk (or almond milk)
salt to taste
12 oz. box of gluten free thin spaghetti pasta

Directions:
In a large skillet add the butter and red onion. Saute until slightly soft, about 1-2 minutes.
Next add in the garlic, saute for 30 seconds, stir and add the butternut squash, chicken stock, sage, and thyme. Stir and cover. Cook until the butternut squash is fork tender, about 8-10 minutes.
When the squash is tender, add the squash to a food processor along with the milk and salt to taste. Puree until smooth.
In the meantime heat a small skillet to medium high heat, add the diced bacon to the pan and saute until the bacon is crispy. About 4-5 minutes. When the bacon is done, place it on a paper towel lined plate to let the grease drain.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add gluten free pasta, cook according to directions, (6-8 minutes) do not overcook.
Drain pasta and add butternut squash sauce to the pasta, gently toss together and top with crispy bacon. Serve!

Nutrition:
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Calories: 330
Sugar: 7 g
Sodium: 128 mg
Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 55 g
Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 12 g
Cholesterol: 18 mg

Source: https://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/creamy-butternut-squash-alfredo-pasta/

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Scoring the skin and then microwaving acorn squash makes it a lot easier to work with for dicing - if you don't have pre-cubed butternut squash at your store you may want to try that if you have a big enough microwave.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I've never had much problem with butternut. I like to think its because I'm super awesome and talented and have great knives, but I'm 100% sure that's not what it is.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I've never had much problem with butternut. I like to think its because I'm super awesome and talented and have great knives, but I'm 100% sure that's not what it is.

Thanks, might give that a try in this recipe. loving love just about every type of squash

And I try not to get a big head when I cook up something that becomes a hit, but it’s okay to to do a good job and let yourself have that

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Here’s a good one. Not too much to say about it other than it’s pretty involved but worth it, and the whole-grain mustard gives this a nice (subtle) “bite” that isn’t overpowering. The fact you can do it in one single pot is nice, just know there’s some prep involved. gently caress, every recipe my wife likes involves a gently caress ton of prep. It ends up tasting great when I do it right but some week nights suck rear end. Looking forward to that changing as a second kid comes and we don’t feel like doing poo poo, which is why we are sous vide prepping a bunch of protein to freeze and reheat later, plus chopping all the veggies needed so we can just reheat something quickly without having to think too much. So sadly that means we won’t be having this stroganoff again for awhile, but I thought I’d share it here since some of you goons with spoons might like it:

One-Pot Beef Stroganoff
★★★★★
Servings: 0

Ingredients:
1 pound ground sirloin
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
Salt and pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup yellow onion, diced small
1/2 cup carrots, peeled and diced small
3/4 pounds cremini mushrooms, quartered
1/2 cup red wine*
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
4 cups beef stock
8 ounces egg noodles
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
Chopped parsley

Directions:
Heat a heavy-bottom saucepot over medium-high heat.
Add olive oil and ground sirloin. Brown sirloin, and season with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic.
Add mushrooms, onions, and carrots, and sauté until tender.
Deglaze with wine and cook down for a few minutes until wine has reduced by half.
Melt butter and sprinkle in flour, cooking for a minute or two.
Pour in stock, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Add egg noodles, and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for about 10-12 minutes, stirring so noodles don't stick to the bottom of the pot.
Lower heat, stir in sour cream and Dijon mustard.
Garnish with parsley. Enjoy warm!

*note: I have no loving idea how much the alcohol cooks down at all, but it’s not a ton of wine to begin with and I imagine, for you teetotaler goons, that you could get away without the wine in the absence of certainty

Source: https://www.tastemade.com/videos/one-pot-beef-stroganoff

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This recipe is from my partner, and we just call it Shrimpy Boys. Serves 2 as an appetizer. Beats the pants off any shrimp cocktail.

12 tail-on shrimp (we use Kirkland frozen tail-on shrimp, 21-25 per pound)
Salt to taste
Smoked paprika
2 cloves garlic, sliced
Canola oil
Parsley
1 dram vodka (a drink's worth)
1 large slice French-style bread

If using frozen shrimp, defrost them first.

Toast bread to golden brown.

Generously sprinkle the shrimp with paprika, and salt to taste.

Add garlic and enough canola oil to fill the bottom of a skillet, and heat over medium-low heat.

When the smallest pieces of garlic begin to turn golden-brown, turn up the heat to maximum.

Add the shrimp, and cook for 2 minutes, flipping continuously.

Ready a large pan or metal lid in case of flare-ups.

Carefully and slowly add the vodka. It may flare up. If flare-ups get out of control, or pan is set on fire, remove from heat and cover with the spare pan or metal lid to snuff.

Continue cooking for 1 more minute, flipping continuously.

Remove from heat and add parsley.

Slice the toast into quarters and place in the bottom of a bowl. Pour the shrimp and sauce over it and serve immediately.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 3, 2021

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This recipe is from my partner, and we just call it Shrimpy Boys. Serves 2 as an appetizer. Beats the pants off any shrimp cocktail.

12 shrimp

What size shrimp do you use for these normally? Like the 40-50 to a pound size, the 10 to a pound size, etc?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ulmont posted:

What size shrimp do you use for these normally? Like the 40-50 to a pound size, the 10 to a pound size, etc?
We use the Costco Kirkland frozen shrimp bag, which is 21-25 per pound. Should definitely be tail-on - should have put that in the recipe, will edit

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Here is another Ottolenghi recipe, this time for eggplant that is ridiculously loving good. You would expect the anchovies to make it taste fishy, but instead they just add meaty deliciousness. Make sure to let the eggplant cool before you cover with the dressing.

Roasted Eggplant with Anchovies and Oregano

4 medium eggplants, sliced into 3/4-inch rounds (2 lb 2 oz)
Salt
7 tablespoons olive oil
6 anchovy fillets in oil, drained and finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 small garlic clove, crushed
Black pepper
1 tablespoon oregano leaves
1/4 cup parsley leaves, roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Mix eggplant in a large bowl with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Transfer to 2 large parchment-lined baking sheets and then brush with 5 tablespoons of oil — you want it on both sides of the discs. Bake for 35 minutes, until dark golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.

In a small bowl, whisk together the anchovies, vinegar, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Slowly pour in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, whisking continuously, until combined.

When ready to serve, finely chop the oregano and place in a large bowl along with the eggplant and parsley. Pour in the anchovy dressing, gently mix, and transfer to a platter or bowl.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Versadilla

Ah, quesadillas, the solution to leftovers, the late night snack, and the cool kid's grilled cheese sandwich*; that simple combination of already cooked meat and veggies, topped with cheese, placed in a folded flour tortilla (*or in between two mini ones, like I used today), and finished in a grill machine or frying pan. Crispy on the outside, chewy, gooey, and savory on the inside, the ingredients are only limited by your pantry that day. The protein can be just about any cooked/cured meat or mushrooms, and you can really mix it up with the vegetables (zucchini, etc.). Spices can be anything (or nothing) that you prefer, but keep the salt in. The tortillas can be toasted dry, or you can use a small amount of oil or non-stick spray.

What I used today:

- a bag of 6" mini wheat flour tortillas
- 1tbsp. cooking oil
- ~16oz. leftover cooked pork loin trimmed of fat
- 2 bell peppers, 1 green, 1 red
- 1tsp. salt
- 1tsp. paprika
- 1/4tsp. cayenne
- ~2.5oz. marble cheddar

Slice pork loin about 1/8" thick, then dice into 1/2" squares or so.
Julienne bell peppers (anything close to 1/8" x 2" or so is fine).
Grate cheese using the smaller holes and set aside for quesadilla prep.
Place oil in a frying pan and start heating to medium/medium-low.
Add peppers and spices to the pan, and cook for about five minutes or so, stirring occasionally until tender.
When peppers are finished cooking, add pork and stir until warmed through.
Set heat to medium-low/low, remove quesadilla filling from the pan and place into a bowl.
Place down one tortilla and add about 2-4tbsp. of the filling and 1-2tbsp. of the grated cheese, spread evenly to the edge. Top with a second tortilla.
Carefully place quesadilla into the frying pan and cook about 2-3 minutes to a side. If your pan isn't non-stick, use a little oil/spray and shake for up to half a minute after placing to crisp the bottom. Alternately, use a panini press/Foreman grill/Quesadilla machine.
When done, remove from pan, cut in half, and serve. Sprinkling a little hotsauce on top is always a good option.

Makes 4 servings with filling leftover.

You'll probably get a good 8 servings from the quesadilla filling, but I plan on using the rest in a pasta sauce tomorrow v:v:v. This really is another one of those great modular recipes; meat or mushrooms, you can use it. Any non-root vegetable is a great option. Herbs and spices are whatever you feel that day. And as long as it grates and melts, the cheese can be what you please. Like a good grilled cheese, this is comfort food. Make it your own.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 27, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Okay so we just had this recipe tonight for the first time and our loving power went out so I didn’t sous vide the fish as planned since it was in the water bath when everything zonked off. Anyway, we have gas cooking so there’s that. Normally I’d post something that’s more of a staple in our home rather than something I’ve cooked only once but this one was really good and I didn’t even have all the ingredients in the correct amounts.

You can get away with less basil, and you can use dried basil (I think you’d want to use less it dried but use your best judgment), which is what I did because it’s all I had. I also had fewer cherry tomatoes, maybe about half what it called for. I’m telling you goons this because I didn’t bother to scale down the other ingredients to match what I had less of, and it still tasted amazing.

Like it says at the bottom, you can use sablefish even though the recipe calls for normal cod because, yep, we had sablefish and not regular cod. One thing I did that the recipe doesn’t say to do is a 1:4 ratio of granulated sugar to salt mixture and let the fish dry cure for 10-15 minutes, before rinsing it off the fish. I’d like to think this contributed to the buttery feel of the fish as we ate it but to be honest I don’t eat much cod so maybe it’s just like that, I don’t know.

Pan-Seared Cod in White Wine Tomato Basil Sauce
★★★★★
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins | Servings: Yield 4 servings

Ingredients:
For the White Wine Tomato Basil Sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 large cloves garlic, finely minced
1 pint (2 cups) cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (more to taste)
For the cod:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 and 1/2 pounds fresh cod, cut into 4 fillets (or four 6 ounce fillets)
Salt and pepper

Directions:
For the White Wine Tomato Basil Sauce:
Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add crushed red pepper flakes and garlic and saute for 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they're soft and blistering, but still hold their shape, 9 to 12 minutes. Add in the white wine, stir, and allow the mixture to come to a gentle simmer. Stir in the basil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, sugar, and pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer the sauce into a bowl and set aside until needed.

For the Cod:
Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Pat the cod dry with paper towels. Then season both sides of cod with salt and pepper.
Place cod in the oil and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Carefully flip the cod over and continue cooking for another 3 to 4 minutes, OR until it's cooked through.
Pour the white wine tomato basil sauce over the cod, let the sauce warm up for a minute, then remove from heat and and serve at once.

Notes:
Sablefish (black cod) will also be great with this recipe

Source: https://bakerbynature.com/pan-seared-cod-in-white-wine-tomato-basil-sauce/

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cross post from the cook or die thread -

So, as promised, I have made Cornish pasties. These are actually the reason I learned to cook; I moved from :britain: to :patriot: when I was 22 and my cooking skills stretched about as far as chopping up a sausage, frying it and combining it with a jar of Patak's curry sauce. Seriously, I remember phoning my mum shortly after I graduated and asking her what 'simmer' meant. I also liked me a Cornish pasty.

Then I moved to Michigan, and I realised that if I wanted a Cornish pasty I was going to have to learn how to make one myself. Ironically Michigan actually is the one state in the union that does have pasties thanks to Cornish immigrants in the 19th century, but those are mostly an Upper Peninsula thing whilst I was in Lansing and also cross-pollination with the Finns means they do them wrong. Proper pasties do not have carrot in. They very definitely do not have gravy on! I've even seen them be made round like a pie.

Anyway, 2002-era me found a recipe on allrecipes (even 20 years ago, internet recipe sites existed, though they didn't have the sort of whole-life-story blurb at the top of the recipe the likes of which you're reading right now oops) and made his very first pasty, which I've been doing variations on ever since.

To business, with our cast of characters:

The traditional filling is steak, potato, onion, swede (rutabaga to colonials). I didn't have a swede but I did have a bbq-marinaded steak that needed used up; I washed the seasoning off it and turned it back into basically normal steak. My wife prefers cheese and onion, so I figured I'd do a couple that way for her, and I figured I'd add non-traditional parsley just because. First we mix up the filling:

Cheese, potato, onion, parsley on the left, seasoned with salt and pepper. Steak, potato, onion, parsley on the right, seasoned with salt and pepper. Traditionally you just splash it with a little water; I've always used Worcestershire sauce but I didn't have any, so I used Henderson's relish instead which is what the barbarians north of the Wall use instead.

Next you mix up your pastry - the original recipe I used called for iirc 3 cups of flour and 4 sticks of butter. I eyeball the quantities, and I use half-butter, half-lard (manteca in your local Mexican aisle in America; in the UK lard and beef dripping are just normal blocks that sit next to the butter in the dairy section). Butter for flavour, lard for flakiness. Add a dash of salt, whizz it up in the food processor, transfer to a bowl, add maybe 3/4 cup of water, knead briefly until you get a shaggy dough, divide into 6 or 8 balls, then roll each into a circle and stuff.

Then roll over so you have a stuffed semicircle and put on a greased baking dish. You can either make them sideways (seam is flat against the dish) or upright (seam is on top). Once you've done them all, go back and wet your hands and crimp them - that is, repeatedly twist the edge to create a knotted appearance and seal the filling in. I can't really describe how to do this but you can google it. Traditionally the former is Cornwall practice, the later Devon. I opted to do side crimp for the meat and top crimp for the cheese and onion because I'm from Hampshire and don't have a dog in this fight. Then brush with something - melted butter, olive oil, or in this case an egg beaten with some milk.

Bake at 180c/350f for approximately an hour, then enjoy!

Do not enjoy with gravy I will fight u

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I made this last night and it rules.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/one-skillet-steak-and-spring-veg-with-spicy-mustard

This is a perfect recipe to adapt for sous vide, as follows. I made a few other tweaks as well.

1 pound boneless New York strip steak, patted dry
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
6 garlic cloves, 4 thinly sliced, 2 minced
⅓ cup Dijon mustard (Maille is best)
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1–2 pinches cayenne pepper
⅓ cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced, divided
10 ounces of fresh, shelled peas (frozen peas also acceptable)
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 sprigs worth of thyme

Prepare sous vide bath at 126 degrees Fahrenheit.

Generously season steak all over with salt and pepper.

Pat steak dry and sear in a very hot cast iron pan, 40 seconds per side. Set skillet aside.

Add steak to ziploc-style or vacuum-sealed bag with thyme, 1 minced garlic clove, and a glug of olive oil. Sous vide for 30 mins for a 1/2 inch steak; 45 mins for a 3/4 inch steak; 1 hour for a 1" steak.

Meanwhile, whisk the other minced garlic clove, ⅓ cup mustard, 1 Tbsp. vinegar, 1 tsp. honey, a couple pinches of cayenne, ⅓ cup oil, and 1 Tbsp. water in a medium bowl to combine; season spicy mustard with salt and pepper.

When steak is done sous viding, pat dry, sear for another 40 second per side, then transfer to a plate to rest. Let the skillet cool a bit, then slowly add the juices from the sous vide bag.

Add 4 sliced garlic cloves and all but about 2 Tbsp. scallions (save those for serving) and cook, stirring often, until translucent and softened, about 3 minutes.

Add peas and a splash of water and cook, stirring frequently, until peas are tender, about 5 minutes. If peas are frozen, mash to break up. Add asparagus; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until asparagus is just tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Slice steak and shingle over vegetables in skillet.

Drizzle some mustard sauce over steak and top with reserved scallions. Serve with remaining mustard sauce alongside.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

'Murrican Southern Biscuits

Man I love these things. It's funny to admit, but until I went to a Popeye's I'd never experienced one before, and no; scones just aren't the same. Fresh out of the oven with a little salted butter brushed on top, they're just a little crispy on the outside, and beautifully soft on the inside, requiring zero effort to pull apart. They're more tender than a muffin or cupcake. And they're easy too. The hardest thing is grating the butter into the dry ingredients, and even if they come out lopsided they taste great just the same. I use this recipe, with some modifications I'll list below https://sugarspunrun.com/easy-homemade-biscuits/:

- 250g all-purpose flour (approx. 2 U.S. cups)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. granulated white sugar
- 1 Tsp. salt (plus 1/2 Tsp. Old Bay)
- 85g frozen unsalted butter or approx. 3/4 of a stick Note: You can use 2 ounces of old cheddar and one ounce of butter instead for a Red Lobster style biscuit
- 180mL cold whole milk or buttermilk (approx. 3/4 U.S. cup)
- 2 Tbsp. melted salted butter for brushing after the baking is done

Portion out your butter and place in the freezer at least an hour in advance.
Start preheating your oven to 425 Farenheit.
Add the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt/Old Bay to a mixing bowl and mix together.
Use a grater on the now frozen butter and lightly mix into the dry ingredients, or pulse in a food processor. You really don't want to melt the butter.
- Note: It is important that you keep everything very cold while combining the ingredients. The bottom has a chance to spread out when cooking if the dough isn't chilled.
Add the milk and start folding over until just mixed using a wooden or other non-metal spoon without slots or holes.
Lightly flour a work surface and/or the dough, then gently flatten and fold the dough by hand 4-6 times, finishing with a sheet about an inch thick. The thicker the dough, the taller the biscuit. Visible pieces of butter are a good thing here.
Using a biscuit cutter or even an old can 2.5"-3" wide, push straight down into the dough with force, then twist and lift. The biscuit should pop out with zero effort.
Repeat until you can't get a whole biscuit, then combine the remaining dough, fold once or twice, and cut out some more. You should end up with 6 or 7 biscuits and some scrap leftover.
Arrange the biscuits onto a baking sheet nice and close together, and place into the oven for 10-12 minutes. You can even add the scrap once you wad it together.
Pull from the oven and remove from the baking sheet to prevent the bottoms from burning, and brush the tops with melted, salted butter.

Makes 6-7 servings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA6tmTVVfk4

Cheese version:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 16, 2022

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
hey paprika users, export your recipes and post them here so we can all cook them

here's mine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h596ufs2nxovjvv/Export%202021-07-02%2018.56.39%20All%20Recipes.paprikarecipes?dl=0

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This is from the Food Network but I think it is actually from a much older recipe, it's the same as what my dad made me growing up. Trust me...you want this. Pair with mashed potatoes and ketchup on the side.

Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf with Brown Sugar-Ketchup Glaze

Ingredients:
Brown Sugar Ketchup Glaze
1/4 cup ketchup or chili sauce
2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons cider or white vinegar

Meatloaf
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black paper
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
1/2 up milk, buttermilk or low-fat plain yogurt
2 pounds meat-loaf mix (2 parts ground chuck, 1 part ground veal, 1 part ground pork)
2/3 cups crushed saltine crackers (about 16) or quick oatmeal or 1 1/3 cups fresh bread crumbs
1/3 cup minced parsley
6 ounces thin-sliced bacon

Directions:
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add onion and garlic, saute until softened, about 5 minutes; set aside to cool.
Mix eggs with thyme, salt, pepper, mustard, Worchestershire, pepper sauce, and milk or yogurt. Add egg mixture to meat in a large bowl, along with crackers, oatmeal or bread crumbs, parsley and cook onions and garlic; mix with a fork until evenly blended and meat mixture does not stick to bowl. (If mixture does stick, add additional milk, a couple tablespoons at a time, and continue stirring until mixture stops sticking.)
Turn meat mixture onto a work surface. With wet hands, pat mixture into a loaf approximately 9 by 5 inches.
Cover a wire rack with foil; prick foil in several places with a fork. Place a rack on a shallow roasting pan lined with foil for easy cleanup.
Set formed loaf on rack. Brush loaf with all of glaze, then arrange bacon slices, crosswise, over loaf, overlapping them slightly and tucking them under to prevent curling.
Bake loaf until bacon is crisp and loaf registers 160 degrees, about 1 hour. Cool for at least 20 minutes. Slice and serve

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why are you sitting here reading this post when you could be eating bacon wrapped meatloaf? I made this last weekend and it was legit the best meal I've had in a year. I used white vinegar, chili sauce, dark brown sugar, and Stoned Wheat Thins instead of salteens. I also browned the onions and garlic till they were extra soft. My loving god was it good.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

This is a spicy stir-fry recipe I've basically come up with through trial and error and never written down until now. :siren: THE PROPORTIONS OF INGREDIENTS ARE ONLY GUESSTIMATES :siren: because I don't really measure anything with this recipe, I go by eyeball and by muscle memory. The black pepper especially is something I never measure, I just crank away at the grinder until it looks about enough/my arm is tired.

Ingredients:

1 boneless pork breakfast chop, trimmed, thinly sliced, and marinated
2/3 cup white sushi rice or orzo, or fistful of flat Chinese noodles
Canola or peanut oil
1/2 strip thick-cut bacon, julienned
1/4 to 1/3 red onion, julienned
1/3 of a large red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, julienned
1/3 to 1/2 leek, trimmed and julienned
1 or 2 habanero peppers, deseeded and julienned
4 asaparagus spears, chopped
1/2 oz good soy sauce (not Kikkoman!)
1 oz shaoxing huadiao rice wine
Salt or additional soy sauce to taste if using unsalted wine
3/4 tsp whole-grain mustard or 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Lao Gan Ma fried chili in oil
1-2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/3 tsp ginger root, grated
A shitload of black pepper, freshly ground
1/4 tsp Sichuan pepper, freshly ground, more to taste
3 corns long pepper, pounded in a mortar and pestle until coarsely ground
1 bay leaf
1 large egg, cracked
1-2 dashes dry bitters (e.g. Angostura, Fernet Branca), absinthe, or similar

To taste:
Jerk powder (I use Kroger's organic brand but it seems to have been discontinued :ohdear:)
Six chili powder or smoked paprika
Five spice powder
Coriander
Cardamom
Nutmeg
Oregano
Thyme
Sumac
Toasted sesame oil

In a medium mixing bowl, pour in one part rice vinegar to four parts rice wine. Add mustard, soy sauce, Lao Gan Ma, black pepper, shallots, five spice powder, nutmeg, oregano, thyme, and sumac to taste. Whisk in equal parts olive oil and canola/peanut oil, at least as much as the vinegar and wine combined, and stir until the marinade is fully emulsified. Trim and thinly slice your pork chop, add the pork into the marinade, and stir again so the pork is evenly distributed. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.

Julienne all the vegetables, except the asparagus, which should be cut into 5-6 sections after the woody parts are removed and discarded. Set them aside in individual containers. Pound the long peppercorns thoroughly in a mortar and pestle, as they are too hard to be put through a pepper mill. Cut a thick strip of center-cut bacon in half, julienne, and place in a small cup along with a half ounce of soy sauce. This will be your first stage of seasoning. For the second, add the rice wine, mustard, ginger, Lao Gan Ma, and garlic and put into their own cup. For the third, add all your dry spices and herbs (I use dried herbs). The fourth cup will contain your egg, bitters, habanero, and sesame oil. Get out a pair of tongs and a spider or other long-handled mixing implement, and arrange your mise-en-place. Retrieve the pork from the fridge. Wash your cutting board, cover it with paper towels, and then pull out the pork slices from the marinade individually and place them on the towels. Gently pat each strip against the paper towels with the tongs, then turn it over and repeat, to get off any excess marinade and prevent the stir-fry from coming out too oily or sour.

Cook your rice, noodles, or orzo al dente, with no flavoring (salt is OK if you are using orzo), and set aside. Place your wok on high heat and wait until the surface starts to smoke. As the smoke begins to appear, add just enough canola or peanut oil to coat the bottom of the wok, and immediately add the first stage, leeks, and onions, and begin stir-frying vigorously. Once the ends of the onion strips start to brown and curl, add the meat, second stage, and vegetables, and continue stir-frying. As the pork begins to brown and the liquids are cooked off, add the third stage and stir-fry for another 30 seconds to a minute, using both the spider and flicking the wok to keep everything moving. The pork should be just about done by now if you sliced it thinly enough; quickly add your starch, toss it with the rest of the stir-fry, and then immediately add the fourth stage and stir like hell for about 30 seconds. When the egg has cooked and dispersed into the stir-fry, kill the heat, dump the contents of the wok onto plates, garnish as desired, and serve.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 1, 2022

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Making some deviled eggs for a party. Anyone got some interesting ideas or flourishes for some party eggs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Pickled beet deviled eggs?

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-beet-pickled-deviled-eggs-151550

Very pretty, somewhat ominous