Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

mystes posted:

If you're talking about sous vide salmon, I think the albumin only comes out if it's overcooked so perhaps cooking it sous vide process prevents that anyway?

Definitely had it appear with SV at, I want to say, 119? But maybe it was after a sear. It's been like 8 years since I've tried. I didn't mind SV salmon but got a lot of "this is baby food"

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I've SV'd fish before but never salmon. It's great with denser white fish like halibut. I got easy, delicious results from putting a pat of butter, a smashed clove of garlic and a bay leaf in with each filet. SV'ing fish in fat of some kind is so good.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Does anyone have suggestions for a good fish stew?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lawman 0 posted:

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a27009310/creamy-coconut-lime-salmon-recipe/
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/257179/chef-johns-brazilian-fish-stew/

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lawman 0 posted:

Assuming some sort of white fish like cod or haddock, a basic chowder is always good.

I quite often make a weeknight dinner around something like this highly imprecise recipe:

ingredients (quantities approximate, this is a whatever-feels-right kinda recipe):
- 2 slices of bacon, finely chopped, or equivalent amount of diced pancetta
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 large white onion, finely diced
- 1-2 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced in thin rounds
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1-1.5 lbs or so of potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1.5L / 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 340ml / 12oz can of corn kernels, drained
- 1/2 - 1lb or so of white fish fillets (cod / haddock / tilapia / whatever)
- 1 cup cream (or milk)
- fresh parsley

Start with some cubed pancetta or chopped bacon in the bottom of a pot. Or just use butter. Cook til the fat has rendered out or the butter is melted.
Add finely chopped onions, celery, and carrots, and saute until onions are translucent
Stir in a few spoonfuls of flour to thicken it up and make a bit of a roux around your onions. If you need more fat add butter or olive oil.
Optionally, deglaze with 1/2 cup white wine at this point and let it cook down.
Add diced potatoes (or mini potatoes halved)
Add chicken or vegetable stock, just enough to cover the potatoes.
Cook on medium heat until the potatoes are soft
Blend a bit with an immersion blender, or take half the soup out and run it through a regular blender before mixing it back in. Blending some of the potato helps give the soup a nice texture but I like still having some big chunks of potato left in there.
Add fish, in bite-sized pieces, and corn. Add salt and pepper to taste. Optionally throw in some finely chopped parsley or other fresh herb(s). Tarragon is nice with fish.
Keep burbling away until the fish is well-cooked.
Reduce heat, stir in a cup of cream, or just milk if you don't want it quite as rich. Cooke for another 5 mins or so on medium-low.
Taste and add more salt or pepper if needed

Garnish with more parsley, and/or chopped green onions, and a sprinkle of Old Bay spice on each bowl.

I've done basically the same recipe with canned clams instead of fish, or with both.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I've got 1.5 lbs of skinless, boneless chicken thighs that I'd like to use up in some sort of budget Indian-inspired dish. Biryani would be tempting, but the recipes I've come across are all pretty involved and require lots of one-off ingredients. So, some sort of inauthentic recipe? Any suggestions for Indian-adjacent preparations would be great.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I love the poo poo out of some tikka masala, I often do chicken thighs in a slow cooker all day, then just shred (or chunk) and toss over rice when ready to eat.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cyril Sneer posted:

I've got 1.5 lbs of skinless, boneless chicken thighs that I'd like to use up in some sort of budget Indian-inspired dish. Biryani would be tempting, but the recipes I've come across are all pretty involved and require lots of one-off ingredients. So, some sort of inauthentic recipe? Any suggestions for Indian-adjacent preparations would be great.
If you have a blender, this red pepper curry sauce recipe is quite good:
https://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-in-a-red-sweet-pepper-sauce-211021
The only unusual ingredient is blanched almonds.

Or one of my favourites is chicken in red lentils:

https://mission-food.com/murghi-aur-masoor-dal-bombay-style/

Or just google “Madhur Jaffrey chicken recipe” and you can’t go wrong. Her Indian cookbooks were the gold standard for decades.

Really though, Indian cooking does not have to be complicated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4zVQxPJmnY

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Rakeris posted:

I love the poo poo out of some tikka masala, I often do chicken thighs in a slow cooker all day, then just shred (or chunk) and toss over rice when ready to eat.

Do you have a particular recipe you could point me to?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I always just use the jar of butter chicken sauce from Aldi

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Entropic posted:

Assuming some sort of white fish like cod or haddock, a basic chowder is always good.

I quite often make a weeknight dinner around something like this highly imprecise recipe:

ingredients (quantities approximate, this is a whatever-feels-right kinda recipe):
- 2 slices of bacon, finely chopped, or equivalent amount of diced pancetta
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 large white onion, finely diced
- 1-2 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced in thin rounds
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1-1.5 lbs or so of potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1.5L / 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 340ml / 12oz can of corn kernels, drained
- 1/2 - 1lb or so of white fish fillets (cod / haddock / tilapia / whatever)
- 1 cup cream (or milk)
- fresh parsley

Start with some cubed pancetta or chopped bacon in the bottom of a pot. Or just use butter. Cook til the fat has rendered out or the butter is melted.
Add finely chopped onions, celery, and carrots, and saute until onions are translucent
Stir in a few spoonfuls of flour to thicken it up and make a bit of a roux around your onions. If you need more fat add butter or olive oil.
Optionally, deglaze with 1/2 cup white wine at this point and let it cook down.
Add diced potatoes (or mini potatoes halved)
Add chicken or vegetable stock, just enough to cover the potatoes.
Cook on medium heat until the potatoes are soft
Blend a bit with an immersion blender, or take half the soup out and run it through a regular blender before mixing it back in. Blending some of the potato helps give the soup a nice texture but I like still having some big chunks of potato left in there.
Add fish, in bite-sized pieces, and corn. Add salt and pepper to taste. Optionally throw in some finely chopped parsley or other fresh herb(s). Tarragon is nice with fish.
Keep burbling away until the fish is well-cooked.
Reduce heat, stir in a cup of cream, or just milk if you don't want it quite as rich. Cooke for another 5 mins or so on medium-low.
Taste and add more salt or pepper if needed

Garnish with more parsley, and/or chopped green onions, and a sprinkle of Old Bay spice on each bowl.

I've done basically the same recipe with canned clams instead of fish, or with both.

This sounds great thank you Entropic!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Elephunk posted:

I always just use the jar of butter chicken sauce from Aldi

I actually have one of those jar sauces, but I've only ever followed the recipe on the back (which is basically just stir-fry chopped meat + veg, pour in sauce, simmer for 10 minutes) and always found the results underwhelming. Maybe doing it all in a slow cooker would yield better results?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Cyril Sneer posted:

Do you have a particular recipe you could point me to?

This one looks pretty similar to how I make it, I use chicken thighs, coconut cream and no cilantro (got the soap gene) is the main difference. Easy to make enough for a week of meals, can amp up the spices to your desire ofc.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Rakeris posted:

This one looks pretty similar to how I make it, I use chicken thighs, coconut cream and no cilantro (got the soap gene) is the main difference. Easy to make enough for a week of meals, can amp up the spices to your desire ofc.

This is the one I went with. Turned out pretty solid!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

This sounds great thank you Entropic!

:agreed:

I feel like ive been entrapped into making this soon

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Cyril Sneer posted:

Too late I know, but a dish kind of similar that I like even more than biryani is Arabian kabsa. It's rice and meat and spices, but it's got tomato, carrots, orange zest/juice along with the usual warm spices so it feels kind of balanced between Asian and Mediterranean flavors. There are a lot of easy recipes as well as some that get assembled out of precooked bits like biryani. I usually make easy ones with no saffron or preserved limes to save some money and bother.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Made a corn, bacon & jalapeno salad and it was so loving good. I brought it to a family dinner and it was devoured.

https://cookswellwithothers.com/2019/07/25/bacon-jalapeno-corn-salad/

The only difference I used frozen corn and sautéed it with some butter spiked with creole seasoning.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh drat, I'm stealing that for corn season this summer.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I made a variation of it tonight simply because of that post and it turned out really good. Really do wish it was late summer though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

angerbot posted:

Oh drat, I'm stealing that for corn season this summer.

The corn recipe I keep meaning to make is Sohla's corn risotto, using the leftovers to make elote pancakes.