Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Here's my family peanut brittle recipe (which I'm sure came off of a Karo syrup bottle or similar). This is from my father with regular annotations.
Starting with raw peanuts and cooking them in the sugar mixture is the key part of the procedure - a lot of other recipes I've seen (for example, Alton Brown) use already roasted peanuts and it just isn't the same. Weights are just from whatever run I was paying attention to.

Stuff:
2 cups sugar (around 14oz)
1 cup light Karo syrup (corn syrup)
⅔ cup water
¾ teaspoon salt
2 cups raw peanuts (around 10oz)
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon baking soda

Grease some tinfoil on the counter to pour it out on. Peanut, olive oil or butter will do. (do this first).

Use a deep heavy skillet, cast iron if available (I've never made this in cast iron; my father apparently has; I've always worked in a pretty generic 12" skillet or similar).

Put in 2 cups of sugar, 1cup light Karo syrup, 2/3 cup of water, about 3/4 teaspoon of salt. Mix and bring up to heat.

Measure 2 cups raw Georgia (or whatever you got) runner peanuts, 1 tablespoon of butter or whatever facsimile is available in your house (my parents apparently use smart balance), and one teaspoon of baking soda and set aside.

Stir the candy mixture and cook the water out until the candy will string off the spoon like a spider web. (8-10 minutes, but can go longer; runs 11 minutes on my gas stove).

Add the peanuts and keep stirring. This is a lot of stirring because you want to cook the peanuts and the candy evenly.

Cook until the peanuts begin to look roasted and the candy begins to color. (3 minutes, sometimes as many as 5). I have read that southerners like the "almost burned" caramel taste best. Use your nose to smell it and watch the color. (You want to smell the peanuts cooking and that's really where you can move on).

If someone is available have them dump in the teaspoon of butter so you can keep stirring. Quickly stir in the butter and then have them put in the soda. Stir like mad and the chemical reaction will add the co2 bubbles to the candy to lessen the density. People like that a lot but don't know how you get it that way.

Keep stirring and start pouring out on the tin foil. Be careful not to trip over dogs or cats, at this point this stuff can be used as a substitute for napalm.

Cool break up and eat. When we put it up we make several batches and mix them up so that if one is a little better or god forbid not as good it gets distributed. It makes about 3 zip lock quart bags per batch.

(Calories for the curious
1548 sugar
100 butter
1588 peanuts
960 karo
=
4196 total

Shopping note:
4 pound bag of sugar - 4 batches (around 1/2 pound left)
2 bottles of Karo - 4 batches (none left)
3 pounds of peanuts (around 1/2 pound left))

I tend to make this around the holidays and give out to friends etc.)

ulmont fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This recipe is from my partner, and we just call it Shrimpy Boys. Serves 2 as an appetizer. Beats the pants off any shrimp cocktail.

12 shrimp

What size shrimp do you use for these normally? Like the 40-50 to a pound size, the 10 to a pound size, etc?