Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: BAGS FLY AT NOON)
Are you a rad suburban dad
No im a city slicker
yes i am a rad suburban dad
goku
Derpies Tuglord
View Results

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My lawn is an embarrassment. Three dogs is just too much for one dad to handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

My lawn is an embarrassment. Three dogs is just too much for one dad to handle.

I have two and I feel you. it seems like a losing battle, and when I walk them they still take like 3 dumps on the walk each too. STOP POOPING!!!!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Everybody poops man

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just wanted to say I don't live in a Suburb nor am I Dad so I don't feel qualified to post here regularly, but I wanted to wish you all well. Good luck and keep kicking rear end!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I've got wild violets growing in the front yard. I want to use a broad leaf killer to preserve the grass, my wife says to douse that entire section in Roundup and kill everything. I'm trying to tell her that's more work in the end but she's convinced.

Thoughts?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Violets are pretty though. Let em cook (don't cook em).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Finally happened, after 15 years of treating it like poo poo my toro mower refuses to start. Gonna check the air filter, spark plug looks good, don’t want to have to bother replacing the carb so it might be time to get a new mower!

Thinking the Ego LM2156SP, question is get the 10Ah or 7.5 for a couple hundred less. My yard isn’t that big, usually takes about 20-30 minutes to mow.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Is self-propelled a must-have? I have the 5AH battery in the regular Ego push mower and it runs 45 minutes easy unless the grass is wet or really high.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Maybe not a must but I am lazy

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
For electrics I found self-propelled is better, it helps me go slow enough to get an even cut.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

priznat posted:

Maybe not a must but I am lazy

drat you got me looking. ACE Hardware has the LM2156SP $100 discount plus a free extra 5AH battery. Mine’s about 8 years old now, looking a little rough…

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

drat you got me looking. ACE Hardware has the LM2156SP $100 discount plus a free extra 5AH battery. Mine’s about 8 years old now, looking a little rough…

Yeah I had been wanting to jump to electric for some time and seems like it might be the time! I was also looking at the website to see that free 5Ah battery, will have to check if the store here has that deal too or if it is just a US thing.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Holy poo poo, I knew Ego made a zero-turn but they make a lawn tractor now too. Of course I just bought a gas one last year :negative:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I got the Ego with self-propelled and I kinda wish I hadn't. The extra weight really isn't worth how little I actually use it.

I'm glad I'm fully off of gas/oil yard tools. That part is rad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drat the free battery thing is not in Canada :sigh:

I have self propelled on my old gas toro and I dunno if I can go back, got a pretty big yard to mow starting this time of year and going til probably November. Depending how dry the summer is it can either be no mowing for 2 months or it becomes a jungle if I am not on it every week.

Checked the mower out at Rona it is pretty slick how it folds up and stands on end to take up very little room.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bonzo posted:

I've got wild violets growing in the front yard. I want to use a broad leaf killer to preserve the grass, my wife says to douse that entire section in Roundup and kill everything. I'm trying to tell her that's more work in the end but she's convinced.

Thoughts?

I spot treat wild violet with Weed Free Zone every year, occasionally broadcast via hose attachment if I got lazy and let em spread. I'm sure there's other products that work just as well and make sure it's compatible with your grass. They're tenacious and spread wildly (:hehe:) but I don't think you need to nuke the grass.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Just found out garage door lubricant was an age-restricted product. That would have to be a terrible high.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dammit youngest kid has lice, those little fuckers are surprisingly large I thought they would be tougher to see once I comb them out. Now everyone else seems clear after checks but everyone is feeling itchy just because power of suggestion lol.

Finally balding pays off for this dad

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

priznat posted:

Dammit youngest kid has lice, those little fuckers are surprisingly large I thought they would be tougher to see once I comb them out. Now everyone else seems clear after checks but everyone is feeling itchy just because power of suggestion lol.

Finally balding pays off for this dad

A pet store flea comb is the way to go nit picking.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Szyznyk posted:

A pet store flea comb is the way to go nit picking.

Yah we got one from the pharmacy and my wife has actually got pretty into it. Just put in a bunch of conditioner and comb thru, they come out pretty easily. Local health organization says it’s the better way to do it than chemicals so we will give that a try.

Surprisingly larger than I thought they would be, like almost sesame seed sized. Yech.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

priznat posted:

Yah we got one from the pharmacy and my wife has actually got pretty into it. Just put in a bunch of conditioner and comb thru, they come out pretty easily. Local health organization says it’s the better way to do it than chemicals so we will give that a try.

Surprisingly larger than I thought they would be, like almost sesame seed sized. Yech.

In the realm of gross they’re close to bed bugs. And the Rid doesn’t work too well anymore. When my wife brought them home from the daycare the only way we could get rid of them was to dye her hair.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
We had a batch we couldn't get rid of until a friend recommended ivermectin and that poo poo knocked them out in one dose

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Horn posted:

We had a batch we couldn't get rid of until a friend recommended ivermectin and that poo poo knocked them out in one dose

Lice, not Covid 19 silly.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Horn posted:

Your kid is going to be president

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Big rear end Rueben sandwich on marble rye? Check
The Good dill pickles? Check
Children of Time to read? Check

It’s Sunday

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Man I love a good Rueben sandwich.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The Rueben is the Official Dad Sandwich™️

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The Rueben is the Official Dad Sandwich™️

I agree, it’s one sandwich that (almost) no kids want and yet dads find delicious.

I find so many of my treats and snacks now are ones that my kids do not like, because otherwise if I got them they would disappear!

Black licorice (the Aussie kind), bridge mixture, salt and vinegar chips, crispy dill pickles, all things my kids can’t stand.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My kid loves salt & vinegar chips and dill pickles. He also loves spicy foods. He won’t touch Oreos though :shrug:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Priznat, you get the new Ego mower yet? I’m gonna pull the trigger on the LM2156SP this week and sell my lawn tractor. I hate the maintenance on gas stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Priznat, you get the new Ego mower yet? I’m gonna pull the trigger on the LM2156SP this week and sell my lawn tractor. I hate the maintenance on gas stuff.

Yeah it rules. I talked to my neighbour a bit and he was going to loan me his (gas) mower because he saw mine wasn’t starting, and then we got talking about the electrics and I was like gently caress it I am going to get it! And went and picked it up.

It did the front and back of my house with self propel and had about 2 bars left on the battery. Since it was shaggy I bagged it but yesterday I just went with the mulching blade without bagging and it did a great job. Just tons of power and munches up the small sticks I have littering the yard no problem.

In Canada we don’t get the free 5Ah battery so in the US it’s an even better deal, would recommend.

Now gotta figure out what to do with my old toro. I bet it is just needing a carb cleaning or possibly it could just be old gas. Might just list it for $50 someplace. Had it for 15 years so can’t complain.

I really like the self propel, it can go FAST. Or slow, twist the wheel for speed. And the one handle for the cutting height. And it is fairly light when you are maneuvering it without sp. using the sp without the blade going is nice too. It’s not as quiet as I had expected and the sp does whine a little bit depending on the speed setting. Has a little phone holder pouch too which is neat. And folding it up to stand up is super easy. Charges the battery quite fast too.

priznat fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 21, 2024

042124_2
Apr 21, 2024

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
We needed a new dinning room table to replace the old bartop/lazy Susan table from back in our apartment days.

My parents still had the table we used when I was growing up in storage which has been in the family since my great grandparents bought it idk when but company went out of business in 1950 so before that. It was, as you can imagine, beat to poo poo from 4 generations of use (I def did my share of work on it) so I spent last week refinishing it. Really happy with how it turned out

Original/refinished sometime in 70s

Here it is now

Right after picture the kid decided it needs to be climbed on. Great

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Kid is surfin that table

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Any of my kids would have instantly face planted if they had tried it, resulting in a trip to the hospital

They got their old man's moves for sure

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

priznat posted:

Yeah it rules. I talked to my neighbour a bit and he was going to loan me his (gas) mower because he saw mine wasn’t starting, and then we got talking about the electrics and I was like gently caress it I am going to get it! And went and picked it up.

It did the front and back of my house with self propel and had about 2 bars left on the battery. Since it was shaggy I bagged it but yesterday I just went with the mulching blade without bagging and it did a great job. Just tons of power and munches up the small sticks I have littering the yard no problem.

In Canada we don’t get the free 5Ah battery so in the US it’s an even better deal, would recommend.

Now gotta figure out what to do with my old toro. I bet it is just needing a carb cleaning or possibly it could just be old gas. Might just list it for $50 someplace. Had it for 15 years so can’t complain.

I really like the self propel, it can go FAST. Or slow, twist the wheel for speed. And the one handle for the cutting height. And it is fairly light when you are maneuvering it without sp. using the sp without the blade going is nice too. It’s not as quiet as I had expected and the sp does whine a little bit depending on the speed setting. Has a little phone holder pouch too which is neat. And folding it up to stand up is super easy. Charges the battery quite fast too.

I got mine earlier this week, just used it this morning on the backyard. Lowe’s was out of the free 5AH battery but they shipped me one which was a nice surprise. Love the mower though, they’ve made a lot of improvements in the 8 years since I bought my old one. The self propel is great on my hilly rear end property!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I got mine earlier this week, just used it this morning on the backyard. Lowe’s was out of the free 5AH battery but they shipped me one which was a nice surprise. Love the mower though, they’ve made a lot of improvements in the 8 years since I bought my old one. The self propel is great on my hilly rear end property!

I was surprised how fast it is at max speed, it tears rear end. I usually just go a couple clicks up!

Sadly it is pissing rain today so no mowing today or probably tomorrow. The mulching blade rules, if you are doing a moderate trim there is really no need to bag poo poo, it minces it up very nicely.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I went with Greenworks battery powered lawn products. Zero complaints, but it looks like they lost out on market capture to Ego.

I love not having to deal with gas powered equipment. Like, a lot.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Always be mulching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Since I started composting everything that can be composted, my trash has changed dramatically. Consider:

Anything organic goes into compost, and thus does not go into trash, and I bet 95% of the smells/issues you have with your trash are because of biodegrading materials....

I recycle to the full limit, such that my actual "trash" is reduced by that amount of plastic and poo poo I put in recycling instead of trash.

And then finally trash, the smallest stream. I go through 2-3 big recycling bags for every bag of trash.

It's a good system, and stink free.