Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: BAGS FLY AT NOON)
Are you a rad suburban dad
No im a city slicker
yes i am a rad suburban dad
goku
Derpies Tuglord
View Results

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah it’s amazing how the regular trash bin becomes just a heap of plastic wrappers that hardly ever has to be taken out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

redshirt posted:

Since I started composting everything that can be composted, my trash has changed dramatically. Consider:

Anything organic goes into compost, and thus does not go into trash, and I bet 95% of the smells/issues you have with your trash are because of biodegrading materials....

I recycle to the full limit, such that my actual "trash" is reduced by that amount of plastic and poo poo I put in recycling instead of trash.

And then finally trash, the smallest stream. I go through 2-3 big recycling bags for every bag of trash.

It's a good system, and stink free.

My city in Ontario has a Green Bin program. You collect anything organic and put it in this bin (with a think paper liner) and set it out once a week. It has an animal proof handle and it holds quite a bit. Even kitty litter. Cans and plastics go in a blue bin which is also collected once a week. Regular garbage is only collected every two weeks. Oh and during spring, summer, and fall there's bi-weekly yard waste pickup. Really nice when a big storm comes through and throws a million twigs on your lawn.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah we have that in NS too. Our neighbours refuse to use it and put all their organics in the garbage, the get mad about the racoons and bears

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
When I had dogs, it was a fantastic way to get rid of the winter shits in the yard.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I am also running multiple science experiments when it comes to "biodegradable". Its great!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Getting my Cocktail Garden set up. I used some rope to pull up a partial bag of soil to the deck instead of tracking it in through the house :clint:

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I finally got the siding fully repaired a year and a half after Hurricane Ian so now I have to start caring about how the yard looks again. I’ve been weeding the rock beds for two solid days. I should have gotten some Diquat.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There was someone in our area who has thyme in their rocks and it looked great, I think about that a lot

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Our city has a green bin program as well for everything from grass to yard stuff like sticks and kitchen scraps too. Stuff like greasy pizza boxes goes in there as well. I used to have a compost bin in the back yard (the previous owner of the house was an idiot and put a ton of plastic bags in there so I cleaned it out one summer and that was nasty AF) but with the city composting I found it to be way easier to not have to get in there and turn it every once in a while, and I can go pickup a bunch of compost certain days of the year if I want (I always forget to though).

Plus in the spring and fall you can put the big paper bags out with additional clippings or leaves that don't fit in the bin, tied up bundles of sticks etc. It's a good system.

I am looking forward to how the mower mulches the leaves in the fall, if I will do one pass to chop em up and then another to chop + pick up to make them denser in the bag/bin. The main leafy tree in my yard is a persimmon one that has pretty chonky leaves that get all slimy and gross to rake up.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Finished the most important part of the patio remodel, the grill pad. Reused pavers from the patio that got ripped out.

I’m gonna need a bigger grill with a NG conversion kit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My current largest experiment is filling this depression with compost, and seeing, year after year, what happens in Spring when it fills up with water. I have dug a channel to the main stream from this depression, but only loosely. I watch the overflow every spring to see what is happening. The big question has always been "Do I dig out a big trench in order to drain this spot?"

This year for example it flooded completely, but then was totally dry a few days later. So not worth any big effort to connect to the main stream, and for this year 2024, all remains the same.

I will continue to fill this area with active compost to also experiment with the idea of "what will grow here"?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
This weekend’s project, completed.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Anyone makes fun of the condition of my lawn gets a sixer

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Anyone makes fun of the condition of my lawn gets a sixer

Is that your cute little shack, or the neighbors?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

redshirt posted:

Is that your cute little shack, or the neighbors?

The one on the left is theirs, it got trashed when then had some trees taken down. The one on the right is ours and was trashed when we bought the property. The mice and spiders own it now. I’d like to fix it up into a workshop since it actually has power run out to it but actual house stuff takes precedence.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The one on the left is theirs, it got trashed when then had some trees taken down. The one on the right is ours and was trashed when we bought the property. The mice and spiders own it now. I’d like to fix it up into a workshop since it actually has power run out to it but actual house stuff takes precedence.

Thinking of a "Writer's Retreat"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One month ago, 25 inches of snow:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
God bless Solo Stoves.

You can get anything going in seconds in these things. Just constant air flow.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

46 80lb bags of Sacrete are getting delivered today and it’s slab time.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That’s a sweet mow.

Love the mulching blade on the ego mower. It rules not having to bag anything up!! No interruptions, can just mow it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Wife said No Mow May is no mo’, time to put the new EGO to use :hai: