Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Oh drat, my friend's from Winnsboro!

You're friends with Bigfoot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How!
Oct 29, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Oh drat, my friend's from Winnsboro!

Has he been out lately?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

How! posted:

Has he been out lately?

He works for NASA!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Of course Bigfoot works for NASA! This makes so much sense. However, it does mean I'm going to have to update the connecting strings on my conspiracy corkboard.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Wait have people just not found bigfoot because he always has his space helmet on?

That sneaky bastard!!!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Buzz aldrin is a bigfoot

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Apollo program was run by werewolves. They were so desperate to get to the moon.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

blatman posted:

ogopogo is real

Ogopogo IS real but she pronounces it o-gop-oggo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

How! posted:

This is not a dril!

Here's the article in case anyone is interested: https://973thedawg.com/famed-bigfoot-researcher-alerting-louisiana-about-recent-sasquatch-reports/

It turns out it's about a post by Matt Moneymaker on the BFRO Facebook page

It wasn't even a bigfoot sighting, just some sounds and an orb. :rolleyes:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

dr_rat posted:

Wait have people just not found bigfoot because he always has his space helmet on?

That sneaky bastard!!!

"I must ... but I cannot!"

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's the article in case anyone is interested: https://973thedawg.com/famed-bigfoot-researcher-alerting-louisiana-about-recent-sasquatch-reports/

It turns out it's about a post by Matt Moneymaker on the BFRO Facebook page

don't know who these witnesses are but if my boyfriend is in louisiana right now he's got some explaining to do

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Moneymaker's on the supernatural bigfoot bandwagon now? That surprises me, he always seemed pretty grounded, but it seems everyone eventually ends up believing that because at a certain point it becomes the only way to explain why no one can find the guy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Knormal posted:

Moneymaker's on the supernatural bigfoot bandwagon now? That surprises me, he always seemed pretty grounded, but it seems everyone eventually ends up believing that because at a certain point it becomes the only way to explain why no one can find the guy.

Yeah and he's getting real defensive about it, posting giant walls of text about it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/62529530168/user/509704915

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I can't see that because I don't have Facebook (I'm assuming, or it was deleted), can you post a screenshot? Sounds entertaining.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's two giant walls of text!

Matthew John Moneymaker posted:

More info about Observable Paranormal Stuff connected with Bigfoots
If I dont say what I know … as with wood knocks and predation on deer … people won’t ever make the connection with Bigfoots, and won’t pay any attention to these things.
If you search this BFRO Facebook Group for the keyword “orbs” you will find my prior posts mentioning the small orbs that are repeatedly seen in conjunction with credible Bigfoot activity. I’ve only made a few posts about that, all in the past few weeks, after thirty years of avoiding the subject, at least publicly and in print.
Why?
For all those good fine people out there who are staunchly skeptical about the Bigfoot subject, not because they know better … but rather because they have trouble grasping what Bigfoots are, even the basic concept (ie not a singular monster but rather a scattered nomadic population of large primates) … those people will have even more trouble computing the concept of, and accepting the existence and ecological normality of, Bigfoots if they also hear about what we used to call “the weird stuff”.
The “weird stuff” are generally things that some people will categorize as paranormal — things that are seen or occur in loose or close conjunction with bigfoot activity.
“Orbs” in the context of Bigfoot reports are wandering balls of light that are a bit smaller than a light bulb, with brightness level a bit less than a “soft white” bulb.
The color most often described is “blue-ish white” or “pale blue” , but I have heard “purple” mentioned also … which could mean light lavender, similar blue-ish white.
They move around with purpose at night, sometimes along trails, sometimes just above trees, sometimes right outside peoples’ tents.
What are they? We don’t know. We can only speculate, but we can speculate better than most, based partly on factors that most people have never heard, not even most amateur Bigfoot researchers.
Here is an important factor that I have never mentioned in print:
In the same areas where Bigfoot researchers will notice Bigfoot activity and these floating little orbs, the reseachers will often have trouble with their electronic devices.
The “trouble” can range from the temporary white noise interference that is plainly audible in digital audio recordings.
The trouble can also be the disabling of cameras at night, like thermal cameras, which then magically begin working perfectly again next morning.
Sometimes if Bigfoots are outside cabins or rural homes, the electrical power for the entire home will stop for a few seconds and then resume.
Could this be affecting trail cameras sometimes also? Yes, could be … but it’s impossible to know. How would you know if a trail camera was temporarily disabled? ..
In my own speculation about this sub-phenomenon I imagine an electronic device being infiltrated by some kind of invisible gremlin, like an invisible orb, that can detect the device in the dark, and come to it like a moth to a flame. That would only happen if the “gremlin” can sense the electrical current of the device.
So which paranormal category would you place this phenomenon into? Ghosts? UFO’s?
We don’t know right now, and we will never know down line unless people become aware of it and notice it.
Why would there be resistance to merely mentioning it IN CASE it is related??
I think back to the fierce resistance I ran into years ago when I started listing my own finds and other stories indicating that Bigfoots prey upon deer. Some people desperately wanted to shut down any talk of that sort. Their fear was that the public would not like Bigfoots if they thought Bigfoots actually killed other animals sometimes. Those folks strongly felt it was important to keep people thinking they are just harmless gentle vegetarians.
But, ya know .. we are researchers of these creatures rather than their publicists ….
First image below created with free AI (Pixlr).
Second image shows a Bigfoot-type orb obtained with a trail camera in a Bigfoot area in Kananaskis, Alberta Province, Canada by BFRO investigator Gary Cronin in June 2018.

Matthew John Moneymaker posted:

I won’t be surprised if this week is remembered as “Woo Week” at the BFRO, because I want to mention another phenomenon among the “weird stuff” that sometimes happen around Bigfoots.
When you hear this next one, do not leap in the same direction that some people did when I started talking about orbs. The occurrence of these phenomena does not mean that Bigfoots are paranormal beings, or spirits, or that they came from a different planet, or a different dimension, or that they do can “cloaking,” or travel via portals … etc.
Everything about bigfoots suggests they are flesh and blood animals, clearly a species of ape (mind you, humans are also a species of ape). They have to travel on foot and find food and deal with environmental conditions that they would opt against if they could simply step into a different dimension.
“Weird stuff”, as we used to call it, happens around them sometimes. Some stuff follows them, like orbs, and some stuff seems to emanate directly from them, like “zapping”.
Zapping is among the “weird stuff” that is usually doubted by inexperienced people who merely hear about it, but it is a very real thing for people who have pursued these creatures in the woods many times.
“Zapping” is basically a bodily sensation that varies in intensity depending upon the distance you happened to be from the Bigfoot.
From a long distance it can feel like a sudden uncomfortable presence that makes your hair stand on end and makes you really want to leave the area.
At closer range the discomfort is more intense and may include the feeling of a heavy pressure on your chest, making it difficult to breathe in and out.
At even closer range (within 40) feet, it can feel like a taser beam that will be somewhat painful and can disable your muscles momentarily. If the “beam” (that is what it feels like sometimes) moves from your chest to your knees you will have trouble remaing standing.
At closest range (right outside your tent or car) it will hurt almost like a taser and may also create a sensation of a heavy blanket that is holding you down.
When that was happening on expeditions the people on the receiving end were not too disabled to call out that they were being zapped. Some were able to speak into their walkie talkie and describe what was happening.
The general feeling has always been that their ability to do zapping (however they do it) evolved to assist with predation (hunting) rather then just to spook away intruders, but it serves both purposes just as well.
No matter how brave you think you are, and no matter how many guns you have with you … you will leave the area if you get zapped.
There has been speculation for years that this ability is some type of infrasound, akin to the what large tigers can do with low frequency roars to stun their prey as they run up to pounce on it.
With Bigfoots the ability likely evolved for the same purpose, but it might not be with the same mechanism or through the same medium.
One important incident in the Washington Cascades gave mean strong reason to suspect it is something other than infrasound (very low frequency sound).
An experienced female investigator on a BFRO expedition in the WA Cascades, along with her female friend, were in a tent around midnight when they both got zapped mildly.
They had an MP3 audio recorder running in the tent. In the recording you can hear the girls speaking to eachother calmly as they lay there on top of their sleeping bags. They mention that they can hear something moving toward their tent. Then one of them starts saying she is feeling an uncomfortable sensation on her legs. The other one confirms that she is feeling it also. As they continue speaking about it … a white noise interference sound in the recording grows louder and louder until it drowns out the voices of the girls. It gives the impression that something with a very strong static electrical field is coming very close to the recorder. It peaks for several seconds before fading away. The static interference noise fades away completely after several seconds, and that’s when you hear the girls in the tent saying they don’t feel the zapping sensation any longer.
This case along with a few others that are different but involve zapping, tells me it is not infrasound, because low frequency sound waves would not create the static interference sound that was not audible to the ears of the two girls in the tent. Infrasound does not cause static interference … as far as I know. I would love it if you could show otherwise.
The upshot of this is that it may be possible to record this particular phenomena with the right model of digital audio recorder — a model that continues recording rather than turning off completely.
Right after that incident I was told the model of audio recorder that obtained the interference sound, but I have since forgotten it. This morning i already started asking again to find out. It’s kinda important because some recorders might simply stop recording if it hit with a strong enough static field. I will update y’all when I find out.
I have already asked Scott Kessler in Louisiana to place one of his digital audio recorders near a trail camera where an orb was seen by four witnesses two weeks ago. He agreed to try that to see if there’s any tell-tale white noise looming up in the audio he gets from there.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Thanks, now I know what a bigfoot-type orb looks like, clearly different from a bog-standard orb.

I remember him ascribing a lot of stuff to the "infrasound" ability in the past, sounds like that's evolved to bigfoot being a walking EMP.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

quote:

An experienced female investigator on a BFRO expedition in the WA Cascades, along with her female friend, were in a tent around midnight when they both got zapped mildly.
:females:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

U.T. Raptor posted:

Beebe's Untouchable Fish, for example.

Beebe's abyssal fishes and the Deep Star 4000 sighting are two of the more interesting cryptid incidents to me as an older skeptic (as a kid I loved and believed in all this stuff) because they're not too crazy outside of the Deep Star fish being much bigger than any extant bony fish.

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Apr 11, 2024

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Knormal posted:

Thanks, now I know what a bigfoot-type orb looks like, clearly different from a bog-standard orb.

I remember him ascribing a lot of stuff to the "infrasound" ability in the past, sounds like that's evolved to bigfoot being a walking EMP.

Now we know what really caused Havana Syndrome!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah, havana nice time

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Knormal posted:

I do love how stuff just kind of gets thrown out there and then becomes "canon" without ever actually getting confirmed. Infrasound, woodknocking, the "fact" about never finding animal bones in the woods, etc.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

I do love how stuff just kind of gets thrown out there and then becomes "canon" without ever actually getting confirmed. Infrasound, woodknocking, the "fact" about never finding animal bones in the woods, etc.

Midtarsal breaks

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Midtarsal breaks

yeah! i wish the orgone research guy's blog was still up, he had a lot of fun with those and "dermal ridges" too

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I just visited southern IL and read the Big Muddy Monster book about our local Bigfoot and it didn't consider the constantly changing appearance and size as possible signs of people making poo poo up. Area is very economically depressed and Makanda for one is home to one of many headshots. OG hippies are in the area and already offer tours to fairy houses and crystal readings.

I wouldn't ditch FOMO for hippies.

Book does consider that the areas fault lines might be magic

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Anybody got a really good 20 minute or less video/documentary about bigfoot/UFOs/ghosts, interdimensional beings? Either theories or experiences, but I'm really looking for a short film or video that's not just a guy talking or a bunch of still images. Obviously there's a ton of this kind of stuff on youtube, but I'm looking for something a little more quality.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Anybody got a really good 20 minute or less video/documentary about bigfoot/UFOs/ghosts, interdimensional beings? Either theories or experiences, but I'm really looking for a short film or video that's not just a guy talking or a bunch of still images. Obviously there's a ton of this kind of stuff on youtube, but I'm looking for something a little more quality.

I've really enjoyed The Why Files on youtube, although the episodes range anywhere from 30min to an hour (so may be outside your timeframe):

https://www.youtube.com/@TheWhyFiles/videos

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DandyLion posted:

I've really enjoyed The Why Files on youtube, although the episodes range anywhere from 30min to an hour (so may be outside your timeframe):

https://www.youtube.com/@TheWhyFiles/videos

I can speak for this one too, while it doesn't line up with the initial request. The first one I saw I was hesitant about since I'm way more skeptical than I was when I ate this stuff up as a kid, because his initial tellings of events are so earnest and trusting, but he debunks what can be and points out what's just unprovable either way. Some of his older videos are in the 10-20 minute range and his presentation style and production values are fun.

The fish mascot is....an acquired taste.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

If anyone was wondering about it the International UFO Museum and Research Center in Roswell is 1000% true believer. It has a decent number of info plaques to display the "truth" about Roswell, and a handful of fun full size dioramas.

Also this goofy looking thing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol, what the

But I'd love to go there. I'm always disappointed that I remember driving through Roswell years ago on a family road trip, but we never did anything alien related, it was just a town to drive through on the way to somewhere else. Maybe for the best, it probably would've given me nightmares.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, what the

But I'd love to go there. I'm always disappointed that I remember driving through Roswell years ago on a family road trip, but we never did anything alien related, it was just a town to drive through on the way to somewhere else. Maybe for the best, it probably would've given me nightmares.

there's the ET highway in nevada too with some cute ufo themed motels and bars

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

8one6 posted:

If anyone was wondering about it the International UFO Museum and Research Center in Roswell is 1000% true believer. It has a decent number of info plaques to display the "truth" about Roswell, and a handful of fun full size dioramas.

Also this goofy looking thing

I went to the Roswell museum around 2010, it definitely didn't have that nightmare looking thing at that time, holy poo poo.

My favorite part of it at the time was they had a ton of props from the 1994 Roswell TV movie kind of arranged in a diorama of an alien autopsy in a corner.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

That's on my to do list this trip.

Chairman Capone posted:

I went to the Roswell museum around 2010, it definitely didn't have that nightmare looking thing at that time, holy poo poo.

My favorite part of it at the time was they had a ton of props from the 1994 Roswell TV movie kind of arranged in a diorama of an alien autopsy in a corner.

The autopsy diorama now features Thor from Stargate. Like it is straight up a replica Thor.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

8one6 posted:

The autopsy diorama now features Thor from Stargate. Like it is straight up a replica Thor.

Actually the opposite! I forget the name but the guy who made the alien for the Roswell TV movie went on to work on Stargate SG-1 and recycled the alien design he had done for Roswell. I believe he also used it on an episode of The Outer Limits in between.

Also funny, the screenwriter for the Roswell movie had earlier written the Glove of Darth Vader early Star Wars EU books which introduced the idea that Luke had a Jedi student who was Palpatine’s secret grandkid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm suddenly reminded of my brief visit to Wycliffe Well, apparently the UFO capital of Australia.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm suddenly reminded of my brief visit to Wycliffe Well, apparently the UFO capital of Australia.

I hadn't heard of this, so looked it up. Yay, Australia has a kitchy alien roadside tourist trap thingo as well! Always wanted to stop at something like that after playing Sam and Max when I was a kid (the best point and click adventure game. late 80's early to mid 90's lucas arts was the best!).

If on a roadtrip through the NT is it worth stopping by?

dr_rat has a new favorite as of 08:09 on Apr 14, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dr_rat posted:

I hadn't heard of this, so looked it up. Yay, Australia has a kitchy alien roadside tourist trap thingo as well! Always wanted to stop at something like that after playing Sam and Max when I was a kid (the best point and click adventure game. late 80's early to mid 90's lucas arts was the best!).

If on a roadtrip through the NT is it worth stopping by?

Absolutely, as much as anything is if you have the patience and heat tolerance for a road trip up there. It's right about where you go from proper desert to tropical biome, so if you're on a big north-south trip it may be a bit of a transition.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Absolutely, as much as anything is if you have the patience and heat tolerance for a road trip up there. It's right about where you go from proper desert to tropical biome, so if you're on a big north-south trip it may be a bit of a transition.

Ah sweet. Yeah I love 35-40+C weather, and have no problems with long trips so sounds perfect. Only thing I don't like about the Aussie desert is when you go in winter and you get all those long freezing nights. Stars are still brilliant though.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

i dont remember voyager having an episode at the little aleinn

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Chairman Capone posted:

Actually the opposite! I forget the name but the guy who made the alien for the Roswell TV movie went on to work on Stargate SG-1 and recycled the alien design he had done for Roswell. I believe he also used it on an episode of The Outer Limits in between.

Also funny, the screenwriter for the Roswell movie had earlier written the Glove of Darth Vader early Star Wars EU books which introduced the idea that Luke had a Jedi student who was Palpatine’s secret grandkid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jedgar was named after J. Edgar Hoover because he was also a JFK conspiracy nut.