Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

ryanrs posted:

You know what would be really nice? Having the Sacramento fab shop cut out a new skid plate from their old CAD files (no bending, welding, or paint). Then I'd have a perfect surface to fabricate my ribs, etc. I've sent them an RFQ.

Of course, should I go down that route, maybe I should have the skid plate cut from better steel. What alloys are available with a 50+ ksi yield point, as delivered? Easy mig welding is a must, with no pre- or post-weld heating (or at least very simple procedures). I'm not interested in getting the finished skid plate heat treated. Must be available in 3/16" thickness or very close to it. Maybe A588, 4130, A572, or A514?

3/16" A514 T1 plate would be amazing. Will welding it be straightforward for me, a relatively unskilled hobbyist?

What about 4130?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casque
Mar 17, 2009
Check out KVA's MS3. They're in SoCal.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

ryanrs posted:

Between the eternally leaking A/C and this stripped thread, it's as if real auto repair is intruding into my fabrication / electronics thread!

Is it leaking from the old fitting that's meant to be welded shut? If so you might do some brass or silver brazing where it's a little easier to add lots of filler material in an air tight way than with a welder. You could also use a swagelok fitting with a plug there.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

ryanrs posted:

I liked this idea, but a rebuilt kit + torque converter is actually quite expensive.

$??? junkyard, pick it myself
$600 junkyard transmission, shipped
$700 rebuild kit + torque converter
$2,400 rebuilt transmission from dealer
$5,000 AWD 2nd gen Sienna in much better condition
$10,000 Old 4WD 4runner with high miles

There's a guy on craigslist parting out a 2000 Sienna. That's probably a good place to get a transmission, side window glass, and other misc poo poo all at once.

There's sure to be at least one Toyota recycler out on Recycle Road in Rancho Cordova sitting on a pile of these transmissions for cheap.

Check out https://www.car-part.com