Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I hate to Kramer in on things, but consider switching both high side and low side of the relay coil. Or maybe put a PTC in to limit current. Also, as soon as I see a MOV I would add a well sized fuse for when it fails shorted. Smart drivers and the such sure are nice, but also we are in the middle of a gigantic global component shortage, especially on automotive devices. For reverse polarity you might be able to get away with adding a simple diode as long as your relay pull in voltage is low or you don't care about operating at the low end of the SAE voltage range. Otherwise a PFET will do the job nicely. As far as load dump, think about some F-off huge bi directional TVS diodes. This is about the point I decide that with all the additional complexity you think about making it EVEN MORE complicated, adding some sort of can bus and temperature sensors, EGT probes or something, I dunno and never finish it. Here are my car electronics learnings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Also take a look at uscar 21 style connectors like this molex https://www.waytekwire.com/item/38570/Molex-34899-2020-MXP120-Sealed-2-Circuit/

They are a more modern incarnation and much slimmer. Really good sealing as well.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

There have been portable winches that sit on a plate and have chains or straps going back to rigging points. Warn used to make an xt17 like that. I still think you should throw a powersports winch footprint on there for something like a 5500lb Axon winch. What do your body attachment points look like?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I've seen subaru guys do them like this. https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/yay-finally-winch-mount-done-for-yall.343298/ Looks pretty decent. Might tie the top end of the mount plate to the tube you were going to run under the grill.

Edit: Here is a trussed out foot down style mount. I think the foot forward is a better idea, but this is simpler to fabricate. https://get-primitive.com/winches/568-primitive-ob-winch-mount.html

Edit Edit: For that second one: "Mount without winch weighs just 17lbs"

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 8, 2021

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

The foot bolt patterns are pretty much standardized at 3.0" x 6.59" for the long drums and 3.0" x 4.87" for short drums. Check out https://www.warn.com/axon-vs-vrx for some examples of rope lengths and winch weights. If you go foot forward, the main challenge is getting a fairlead to line up with where the rope unspools, hence the little standoffs on the first link. Note that the fairlead takes a good deal of lateral loads.

Edit: Pretty sure they are M8 bolts on those.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 8, 2021

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Superwinch recently shuttered its doors when it was picked up by Westin. REALLY not sure about the quality of their products and warranty right now.
Edit: Guess they opened a new office in California. They used to be in Tualatin Oregon.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 8, 2021

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I'm going to go the opposite, actually. 1.5x gvwr is a nice rule of thumb, but you really are not going to be burying the wheels up to the frame in mud or performing a vertical lift all that much as you are going to need to move a few inches forward in a rut while you gain traction again. If you need more, carry spare rope and snatch blocks. Be super careful about your return anchors on the vehicle as those loads are cumulative per rope return! I think the 4500lb to 5500lb options are a good balance.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Fairly certain they are meant to only be used attached to something like rope, which would (hopefully?) self align / not allow side loads.

Edit: Of course also with tree straps and the like!

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 9, 2021

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Off-roaders often take opportunistic angles over varied terrain. Dragging a rope through mud/sand/over and around rocks etc. Also I think very few people service /inspect/ clean winching ropes regularly.

Edit: looks like you start getting into other snatch block arrangements in the industrial realm. Things from Crosby or Warn’s industrial line. https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/p...ASABEgInM_D_BwE

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 9, 2021

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I’m not sure on this and it’s a total grab, but I feel that tight bends over fairleads that are way too small of radius have a lot to do with it, too. The ropes get damaged basically any time they are used under load at anything but the perfect angle and drum diameter/number of wraps. Combine this with no one inspecting their ropes regularly and it would explain a lot, I think.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

That or some of those guy wires running from the front corners to up above the windshield.
Edit: Limb Risers

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 11, 2021

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Lol Fab Fours. Going to bling up my truck like some sort of monster energy stagecoach colored by a 8 year old.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I've done a bit with Nordic's pre Zephyr stuff, mostly integrated libraries and HAL. I really am curious what sort of things you will come up with to do with a scripting layer. The Nordic bootloader / over the air update ble service is pretty nice and useful, I recommend you keep that at all costs.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I'll also add that there appears to be a micropython Zephyr port. I sort of want to try this, but all my Nordic dev kits are too old for Zephyr ;.;

Edit: I bought a new 53840 Dev kit, I really want to try this as I've wanted a BLE-Zigbee bridge for a work project for a while and I might learn a thing or two.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 15, 2023

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I know it's less modular, but you could consider 3d printing the text either debossed into or embossed out from the nylon part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

The Linux Fairy posted:

Where'd the ring go?

You have to take the ring off when servicing. Sorry Kirk.