Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

ryanrs posted:

How do I weigh my minivan? Just front/rear weights would be ok, but all four corners would be cool, too.

Please tell me I need to take it to a high-end race shop. That'd be hilarious.

Over here scrap metal merchants have weighbridges that do axle weights.
Some of them have outdoor weight displays so if you take some scrap with you and can read and note down the after weights you can get paid for weighting your vehicle. Otherwise it costs a few £ for a vehicle weight slip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

That looks awesome. I wish we had the same sort of places here!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ahhhh so what you want to do here is what motorsport would call a fiddle brake? That a hydraulic handbrake but instead of working on the one circuit, you have a dual circuit that can be used to sepereaty brake one wheel or the other?

So I cant tell you the exact parts but the operation is pretty simple and can be done inline or with a separate brake assembly. Inline the issue will be making sure the system is bled because a dual system hydralic is a right loving bitch at the best of times to bleed. So the principle is that with the fiddle brake, say pushing the handle forwards locks the right side and pull back locks the left, thats what you want to get?

https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/48491-fiddle-brakes/ Edit : Bingo, I knew the Brits would be able to tell you how to do a fiddle brake with off the shefl parts

I just caught up and was about to post that you should lookup "fiddle brakes" as that is what we call what you want to do in the UK.
I used to know the guy who made the simple technique suggestion in the above forum post back in the usenet days.

ryanrs posted:

Two of those will mount on the floor between the seats, a bit forward of the cupholders. Top of the levers will be about the same height as the radio preset buttons. Exact placement will need to be far enough back that my knuckles don't hit the radio. Hand position is palm on the top of the lever, not fingers wrapped around/power grip. I should probably send them an email asking about lever ratios and master cylinder bores.

There seems to be plenty of options around for off the shelf twin cylinder, twin lever fiddle/hydraulic hand brake/drift brake setups rather than using two seperate ones. Would make your mounting simpler

ryanrs posted:

I'd rather not do it all in hose, because I want to keep a firm pedal. Not that the minivan's brakes are firm at all, but I don't want to make them worse.

If you buy yourself a decent flaring tool making up your own brake lines is really easy.
If you get yourself a small compressor and a vacuum bleeder too then bleeding this up should also be fairly trivial.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Rock sliders would be easy to do and offer you some protection if you encounter more unexpected rocks. They are just like your idea of a 2x4 except made of metal (and generally affixed to some solid spots like the chassis rails on a 4x4). Even a length of something like 20mmx40mmx3mm metal box section would probably save your sills.

Safety Dance posted:

There are aftermarket tire pressure systems where the sensor is just the valve stem cap, and there's a little display that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I can't speak to the quality, but I bet you could find a decently reviewed one.

These are the generic Chinese ones - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284247429968

I have one that cost me £5.99 i think and came on the slow boat. It does work, though 40psi or so is the max it will work reliably too (fine for your car but useless for my truck - but it tells me if one tire gets low) and the sensors will come apart if you bash them too hard and need regluing.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Darchangel posted:

Generally for a reversing cam, most folks just use a double-DIN head unit so as to not take up more dash real estate. Most backup cameras are 480p at best, because they are analog, and that’s what works with the head units.
If you want better than that, there are plenty of dashcams that can do varying levels of HD forward and rearward. A lot have a small built in screen, and quite a few have built in WiFi so you can review and download footage with your phone or laptop without having to pop out the memory card.

I bought a rear view mirror with a built in screen for a reversing cam and swapped it out with the original one. It was pretty awesome. Looks and works like a normal mirror, then once you go into reverse half of it turns into a screen.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

ryanrs posted:

These are good suggestions!

Tomarse, what specific make/model did you get?

It was just a cheap one from Amazon. The amazon link doesnt work anymore but it was a "TOOGOO(R) Auto Parking Monitor LED Night Vision Reversing CCD Car Rear View Camera With 4.3 inch Car Rearview Mirror Monitor£ºMirror Only" that cost me all of £11.

Looked like this one https://aruba.desertcart.com/produc...tor-mirror-only

screen is built into the mirror and it clipped over the stock one.

Really couldn't complain for the price!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

You could try heating it up along the bends and then hammering it flat

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

You can do it yourself with a propane torch. Looks like you need to heat it along the worst bends then turn it the other way up from that photo and use a big hammer.
Chuck lots of water on it when done to quench it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

sharkytm posted:

25k of your miles are like 100k "normal" miles.

yeah, off-road miles are not normal miles!
unless this was a deliberately highly specced off-road shock you totally got your moneys worth out of it!