Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

honda whisperer posted:

Set one up inline on each drive wheel with a button you hold to lock. Pump brakes, hold button, apply gas.

I would also think those drift style hydraulic brake handles but split left/right could work. You could feather a side then. That would do a RF/LR split and LF/RR if you just tied it into the existing system.

I was thinking a couple of drift brake handles would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ryanrs posted:

So do hydraulic e-brakes need secondary brake calipers? They don't work with the existing brake system, right?

e: nvm, I see how they work inline. Lol the diagram I found joins the two diagonal hydraulic circuits.

The logistics of routing your brake lines in to two different hydro brakes inside is going to be a right pain in the rear end. It will look cool AF, of course.

Electric line locks may be a simpler solution as someone up thread mentioned. Hold the brakes down, engage one of two locks, and see if you can drive off. They're not cheap, but less than the hydros.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Just convert it to rwd. But then gently caress it, it's already fwd. Fwd+ rwd= 4wd

This math checks out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Prerunner style front bumper.

Edit:it'll have to be custom built obviously. Not much more than a couple of tubes and some tabs for KC Hi Lights.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 23, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Plus you can put a d ring in there to use as a tow hook until you have a winch.

HF d ring

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It's certainly the last thing. Hit it fast and make it worse. I'd suspect if you tried to cross anything deeper than your headlight you'd just float off.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Deteriorata posted:

If you're going to go in water at all, I would vote for a snorkel - if only a short one that stuck just a few inches above the hood. The main value would be you could see it and exactly how high the water level is. I would not trust the under-hood intake to stay dry when I couldn't see what was going on. Water could get kicked up by pulleys, belts, radiator fans, or who knows what else and you could find yourself hydrolocked in water several feet below the actual intake level.

It's your van, though, not mine.

Sienna Shaker.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I love copper nickel tubing and I have a gang of it I'm about to use on my car. It's pretty cheap and I have a ton of it, I bought a roll and found my old roll too. Lmk if I can mail it to you. I will have no use for it in a weeks time.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Is it just ineffienct burning while the vehicle warms up? I get a gas smell on my 15 Sierra when I remote start it in the morning. I can smell it when I'm near the tailpipe.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Omg it's better than I had ever hoped. Godspeed.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

If it’s anything like my experiences, you’ll get it back together regardless of time.

But it’s always going to rattle now.

Also with a handful of extra hardware, and at least one instance of putting the long screw in a short screw place and having a short screw that doesn't reach somewhere else.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
They're in the little quarter turn sockets right? You'll probably have to half-assed hook it up to test, that does sound like a pain in the rear end.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Did you pick up those tubing bending pliers? I got some really nice tight 90 and 180 bends with them. The trick is to walk em down the bend as you go, don't try to bend the whole thing at once. Make four 22 degree bends instead of one 90.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Suburban Dad posted:

This guy didn't go to math school. :viggo:

Kidding aside this has been a weird and fun read.

I was going to say I only do 88 degree bends but that's a problem....

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I only do 69 degree bends.

"man this routing is inconvenient but it is nice"

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ryanrs posted:

It might even be off the road by the end of the month.

Fixed that fer ya.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Perforated metal rad protection skid plate
Light bar
Fog lights
Ditch lights
Radio whip
D ring shackles

I forgot the front receiver hitch for future winch action.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ryanrs posted:

If you add the receiver I will forward your drawing to the fabrication shop and link them this thread.

I'm sure they can figure it out! I'm not going thru the trouble of doodling on my phone. Sorry!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
No problem it was just a fun doodle! Thanks!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ya I like this thread because you have big dreams and back it up, and quickly.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Online LED Store wiring

I really liked the relay box I got from these guys, it came out very clean and professional looking to me. I haven't used their switch panels or anything (yet) and I wouldn't hesitate to try.

I like the one kastein linked too, having them bussed is nicer than the one I linked. Also that's a great note on switching the ground.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 15, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Absolutely it is. Your door open switch to turn on the interior lights and your horn both operate that way. You can just run a single wire to your switch and ground it locally. Makes it very simple.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

cakesmith handyman posted:

Stainless perforated sheet laser cut to shape with mounting tabs on the bars to bolt it to, then you can remove/replace easily if you ever smash it in or need access behind.

Cut in a pattern of little minivan silhouettes in alternating directions.

Please do this

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

cursedshitbox posted:

Had a little freetime to help with the project.
Using StormDrain's photoshop.

I added a tiedown point that uses the original towhook to help avoid twisting the bumper during winching. there's two extra tubes that reinforce the receiver hitch.
There's also a lower spar that protects the condensor/radiator/lower cradle. Bent the skid plate to go under that as first line protection for that spar.
The support bars that cover the washer bottle can be thrown either at the lower tie in if the welder can pull that off, if not, its fine to move it just above it.

That was very charitable to call that photoshop. For the official record it was markups on my phone done with a fingat.

I feel like I learned something from your refinement, thanks.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was just wondering how this was happening. I'm so used to goon aspirations that fizzle out, I'm guilty of it myself. You're breaking the mold!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

cursedshitbox posted:

a split section of heater hose with a few zipties for securing it over the existing hose works as good abrasion resistance in a pinch.

I was thinking the same thing. I've got a few pads of rubber I chop up in such an event.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ryanrs posted:

I'm not too concerned about wrecking my patella. I usually can't get it anyway because I'm allergic to shrimp.

LOL.

I realize now that's about where I put my fuel tank selector switch, in front of my knee. I might check a little closer to see if it's a risk and swap for a flatter switch.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
4am is both too early and too late.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ya number two is the dumbest. I'd take the weight penalty just in case.

After I watched this video I started daydreaming about a receiver hitch winch, hopefully someday I find a need or get a bonus and I'll get one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0z0rME6CPA

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Next step:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yah probably have the boys fab this up then

Bonus light mounts as well.

I kid I kid. Unless...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ryanrs posted:

Instead, I'm going for competently executed, 4x4 outsider art. As if, say, a minivan owner read about 4x4 trucks on the internet and decided to make one himself, out of his minivan.

I am dying to know how this is any different from your actual reality.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

It's beautiful!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ya that's dope AF and the professionals did a much better job than my fingat. So much lights!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Have you considered block?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
3d print a block that has hidden fasteners inside. Paint like a block. Amuse people when the van is on its side and your Yeti cup is solidly held inside.

Edit: this thread is where I exercise my chaotic good car energy.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 27, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Practical and cheap! I'm a fan.

I've been looking at some rails like these:

Tie down rails

For my truck bed. I'd be tempted to put a couple down on the floors to make it easier and more convenient when you swap. Meaning you don't have to put four bolts in and you can put the tie down loops where you want.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hell yeah sounds like a good time even with the damage, based on your attitude. I'm excited that you got to do some lever pulling and that it helped.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Im sure you wouldn't be beating that back into shape for very long. I'd just go for it at whatever seems like thr least impactful time. And you make it the most impactful. Put the edge on a scrap of wood and go to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What do you do for refrigeration? Smoked turkey leg sounds like great camp food. I like to prep a whole Dutch oven meal on bags and have that, if you have a way to have leftovers that could be a few days worth.