Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I had the same Sienna (1997, 2 doors on passenger side, one on the drivers side) ... even the same color, and it'a a very good vehicle.

The only issues I had was that the brake pads would need to be replaced more often than I was used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

ryanrs posted:

Timing belt was done at 90k. Van currently has 150k, due for another timing belt at 180k.

Mine is a 2000, so no VVT (dunno about the trans ratios). For normal driving it has always been fast enough. It has a lot of power for a minivan. But...

Last weekend I driving in Mendocino NF, I crested a hill and juuust started down the other side when I realized it was too steep and I wouldn't be able to get back up. I shifted into reverse, but the van didn't have enough power to reverse 6 inches and un-commit from the descent. WOT, but zero movement. gently caress.

The van was loaded with gear, but no firewood and no other passengers, so it's not as if it was overloaded. This was a hard-packed dirt road and the van was pointing downhill, so the front suspension was very compressed. Traction was not an issue. But I floored it in reverse and it wasn't able to climb out. I almost needed the winch, but was able to inch it back with a combo of high dthrottle/dt from really stomping the pedal, and turning off the A/C. I think with the stock tire size I wouldn't have had nearly as much problem.

I think in my head I was expecting the torque converter to be more useful here. With a manual I could have played clutch games and inched it back. I guess I could have tried a neutral drop, but it didn't come to that. I could have unloaded some gear, too.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but probably something like "don't do that or you will find yourself winching a van by hand in 100F heat".

Install smaller wheels?

Seriously, don't know what you could do about that. Since I think this is the same V6 used in Camrys, there may be a supercharger bolt-on kit that TRD released.

Yes, there is: https://www.jonbondperformance.com/product/97-00-toyota-camry-3-0l-supercharger-remanufacture-rebuild/

Toyota Camry, Sienna, Solara 3.0L MP62 Supercharger Remanufacture / Rebuild

$825.00

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Krakkles posted:

I was about to say that’s the cheapest supercharger I’ve ever seen, but that’s for a rebuild service on a supercharger you send them.

Yep. Hit the junk yards.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Saw one of those 4wd Mitsubishi Van things this AM. The one with the cool little windows below the raised roof line.

Kind of like this one but with a higher roofline and the neat windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsTKDMnot2o

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

ryanrs posted:

Just some quick pics before I head out. The bumper looks amazing, and is a good approximation of StormDrain's inspirational gif.

I'm not 100% satisfied with the aluminum plate. I think it could have both better coverage and better ventilation. But it's very easy to modify that part, so I might change it later if I think of something better.

Fear shopping carts no more!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

ryanrs posted:

Ever since I went up that steep, loose, rocky bit of road at Los Padres, there have been some weird noises. A little creak/clunk going on/off throttle. Some weird clunk when turning into parking lots with ramps.

I should probably jack it up and make sure everything important is still in place. Ugh.

See if you lost a CV boot.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

ryanrs posted:

Here's a short, terrible video of me leaving my campsite. I'm driving with one hand, and using the other to hold up my cell phone. It's bad, but maybe it shows the potential for a gopro or gopro-like device for future outings?

(This video explains a lot about why my van looks the way it does.)

https://vimeo.com/651786300

My wife had me driving on stuff like this, but more rain forest like, in Rarotonga (cook islands) back in 2019 in a rented Mini.

It was pretty good at it and it was kinda trashed to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Can you get a small gas stove to work in the van? Might make cooking easier.