Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mob posted:

Not sure what you guys mean, Haas hasn't got an ounce of ring rust on him

https://twitter.com/naturalbornheel/status/1371928706260856833

jesus christ

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

why's there always gotta be one guy

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

do the people who talk about how wrestling was watched by 100 million people every week in the 80s ever also talk about or even just consider that boxing was also incredibly popular in the 80s and 90s and also suffered a similar downswing in popularity that can't be attributed to "goddamn fake video game playing phonies killing the business"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

davidbix posted:

Where am I supposed to be seeing that DVD in that photo?

laying horizontally across the top of the middle shelf, on the left

above the can of Stewie Griffin Energy Drink

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Fabulous Ones are eternal

The Thrillseekers were no Fabulous Ones

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Destroy My Sweater posted:

what's the story here

jim cornette was so upset about the death of Brian the dog on Family Guy that he urged his fans to boycott the show until he was brought back

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mulaney Power Move posted:

in a nutshell they're not serious enough and do too much "we all know this is fake wink wink" bullshit e.g., kenny does a hadouken and someone takes a bump from it or orange cassidy's entire character. he feels that this is making a mockery of wrestling.

then a lot of other little things but that's really the crux of it

close, the actual answer is because they did not give him a job

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wrestling peaked when it got banned in Paris for being fake in 1860

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i don't think cornette stans even watch old wrestling either

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRpVfsEf9LU

I love how Cornette is naming them, pauses for a second and Nash chimes in "side slam" only for Cornette to remember "...sidewalk slam" and Nash give a satisfied nod as Oliver busts up laughing

"Snake eyes??"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Zombie Lemur posted:

That's what I thought too, but apparently Lambert did the same shtick in Impact so who knows?

his schtick on Impact was more like "YOU PEOPLE CALL YOURSELVES REAL WRESTLING FANS, WELL MR REAL WRESTLING FANS WHEN DID RIC FLAIR WIN THE NWA US TITLE FOR THE FIRST TIME? THATS RIGHT YOU DON'T KNOW. WHICH ONE OF THESE AWA TAG TITLES IS HAWK'S AND WHICH ONE IS ANIMAL'S? I BET YOU KNOW BECAUSE YOU'RE A REAL WRESTLING FAN"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

That's not what he said. He said it looks phony when two guys stand in the middle of the ring and just trade blows. Like I hit you, now OK you hit me now.

man, wait until he sees a move like the leg drop

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

davidbix posted:

He was also on the WWF creative time for most of 1996-1997. First it was him, Vince McMahon, and Bruce Prichard, with Bruce eventually taking a detour to Talent Relations and Vince Russo joining the team in his place. He was writing TV for them as things started to turn around, so he deserves some credit there, too.

i choose to interpret this as jim cornette being responsible for the Godwinns being loving omnipresent in the WWF for those two years

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

did jim realize that adam cole is small

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Does Jim hate all Asian wrestling because I would have thought that old ajpw would have been up his alley

Meltzer told a story once about watching AJPW with Jim in the 90s and Jim spending the entire show bitching about the matches having "no psychology"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

cagliostr0 posted:

In a way cornette is right that a 15 minute spot fest is unhealthy and lacks the artistry of a 3 hour long Kings road struggle but it tastes great and everyone can enjoy it so in closing gently caress off cornette give me my cheeseburgers.

No dont worry, he hates King's Road matches too because theyre japanese and "have no psychology"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you've done this bit too many times, mulaney

its still gonna work because it always works but c'mon man

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

If you wanted more proof Cornette doesn't bother watching and has no idea what he's talking about, try to guess who the headline is talking about.

https://twitter.com/Inside_TheRopes/status/1554822028858757122

Jay Lethal

Nastyism is running wild on Jim Cornette

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sorry im a bit late to the party here but did we really get a straight up "explaining things is endorsing them" fight

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cavauro posted:

there is no argument. it's a harassment tactic designed to make you feel that there is discourse to be had and frustrate you. stop reading it altogether if that logic doesn't help and fully disarm the hosed up bastards from your perspective, or persist in the doomed world you have created.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Penguin Patrol posted:

WARNING
For Immediate Public Awareness:

The end of Botchamania this week is like 6 or 7 minutes of Cornette's voice. You can safely turn off the episode when it starts.

FullMetalJackoff posted:

Thanks for making GBS threads on my work.

lmao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

starting to understand why that guy used to keep coming into the aew threads and posting the most braindead horseshit youve ever seen and then getting really indignant when people called him stupid

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bloodysabbath replying to something positively is not the endorsement you think it is lmao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Hausu Usher posted:

I've not heard anything that has made me slam shut my YouTube playlists since starting to listen on the regular late last year. A couple of those things sound like something Bill Maher would come out with, and I hate Bill Maher so you may have a point I should hate him, but I don't. I think Cornette tells a great story, is funny and I don't agree with everything or the way he puts it (as I've already said).

In summary, lol:

again, really not the endorsement you seem to think it is

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

can we kill this guy yet

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fritz Von Erich was probably a worse person than Jim Cornette. There, I said it!

oh i dunno, fritz at least ran a successful wrestling territory

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

smokey mountain would have survived longer if jim let rick rubin have more say in the booking

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

good ol bisondollah

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

tennis racket is less stupid than a sword or a large hammer you cant use like a normal person without killing your opponent so you have to do some extrordinarily weird hit that makes no sense. I dont even remember ever seeing him smash the racket over someones head leaving it around their neck. You can also go racket akimbo and really lay into someone. it can even be an electric racket or barbwire. The more i type the more i think the tennis racket was wasted by old JC. Someone needs to reclaim that from him.

i thought he would literally just carry around an empty tennis racket bag and hit people with that

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Hausu Usher posted:

Hi, brainless here. I'm listening to the show and this segment just now. I think the quoted comments are the edgiest things in the conversation, which essentially is boiling down to:

Yeah the internet sucks. We also get death threats on our family all the time, we block them.

People assuming it's the fault of Cornette and his fans (and attacking them) are assuming a lot (Brian Last flub at making a ReVeNgE aSsUmPtiOn on Kenny Omega - Omega's comments about American fans harassing Riho is why they brought up Hana Kimura, I don't think that was needed at all).

Don't harass anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY-1rVFPWEA

I don't agree with everything Cornette says, btw, but since you referred to me. I don't like 99% of comments he makes about women's wrestling in general. I also don't like what Hasan Abi said about the Hogwarts game or his failed allyship with the transgender community - but I'm not assumed to be a brainless bastard because I still listen to a bunch of his content.

Im going to beat you over the head with steel chairs until you have enough concussions you cant look at a computer screen anymore

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i keep forgetting what that guys name used to be before he changed it when everyone started to recognize him for being one of the stupidest losers on this website

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Does anyone remember a promo Punk cut on Rampage about a match with QT Marshall where he called all of the Factory members by Cornette's nicknames for them? I have no memory of this or knowledge that Cornette has nicknames for the Factory members but someone mentioned it in a DM this morning and I am fascinated.

drat no wonder he and FTR got along so well lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sorry about ur hosed up teeth

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*standing in a field of dead sheep and being told they were killed by wolves, who are still within eyeshot*

i just dont think this specific sheep was killed by a wolf

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cornette hated the Northeast because he couldnt find Chef Boyardee spaghetti like in Kentucky

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Majinfoose posted:

gently caress lol

i forget who told the story but he was always absolutely baffled why Jim kept saying he couldn't find good spaghetti in Connecticut considering how many Italian restaurants and pizzarias there are and then he eventually realized he was talking about Chef Boyardee

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

well I'm sure Cornette would never hold a petty grudge over that OR the small child he wrestled.

or a completely different person he thinks is the small child he wrestled but isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Who does he think is Riho? Shida?

No the little girl Kenny wrestled wasnt Riho lol