Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

I assume Impact mandates Karl and Doc have to work the same number of matches in AEW, so we got a good match from Anderson the week before, we had to suffer this this week.

The match was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FullMetalJackoff posted:

Does that make Last 'The Hole' of the show?

He's Turd.

Turd, turd, here comes the turd.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Generico posted:

He's Mancow's stunt boy?

Yes he's going to crash a Geo Metro into a building.

Originally I posted that as a wacky joke but the more I think about Turd and his relationship to Mancow the more it fits.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

It rules that Jim is committed to humiliating everyone who defends his ability as a historian.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ivypls posted:

cornette had a weird bill maher liberal phase years ago which was also when he built up a lot of his good will with the iwc, i think it fooled a lot of people into thinking he wasn't a racist

Cornette and Maher are basically the same person.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

algebra testes posted:

Rewatching Timeline WWF 1997 and god help me I love it.

Talking about how he had to watch a bunch of Diesel matches to teach Glen Jacobs and he found he only did "Six moves, including the hair flip". :lol:

Jim Cornette today: Wrestlers do too many moves, they should only do six.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

karmicknight posted:

Yeah, I keep hoping he does the "i collect vintage wrestling belts" promo, but it doesn't actually fit the stuff he is doing.

That's how the whole storyline gets blown off not with a match but with a babyface putting pictures of his belt collection on the screen and Lambert's pants falling down.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Someone ask what it pays.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NutritiousSnack posted:

If Cornette made a genuine, heart felt apology, especially to Omega and the Young Bucks, and backed up that apology with good behavior unlike say a Hogan or other figure, I'd be happy to see him on AEW if he wasn't a booker or doing backstage thing and a heel manager to FTR or Danielson or doing Dark or Rampage commentary.

I just don't think he would ever do so,

The Bucks aren't even in the top 5 of AEW roster members he's said hateful things about. He should never be near the company after what he's said about the women's roster especially the Japanese women. And that's not counting his general bigotry.

We should all feel lucky that Cornette hates the Bucks because if he didn't he might be in the Tony Schiavone spot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

To be honest, I really wish Cornette would turn a corner just to be a happier person. Being this way even as a constant act can't be good for anyone.

I think he should be true to himself and keep being the hate filled bigot he always has been.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Iamgoofball posted:

i dont know much about wrestling, i prefer football(real football btw), but my new roommate keeps listening to this cornette guy's podcast and it's fuckin terrible

he's also got all this poo poo he put up on the wall

can someone tell me all the details about this cornette guy? all i know from the various poo poo i've overheard from him playing cornette's podcast really loud all day is that 1. he's transphobic and 2. he really hates someone named kenny omega

He is incredibly racist, he not only says racist stuff about Asian women wrestlers he hates but has hated Muslims for 20 years. This includes calling for war crimes following 9-11 and calling them "Cave loving People" in 2014 in a long, hate-filled rant that got his co-host to quit. He lost his job as an NWA announcer because of racism, can't get more work at MLW because of transphobia, lost his job with ROH because he has no good ideas and lost his job in WWE developmental because he's a psycho who hits trainees.

Also all of his ideas are bad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

He literally lived with his mom until she died and still lives in that house. Not saying there's anything bad about taking care of your single parent who needs the help but he's a literal manchild.

Thinking about my parents neighbor who lives with his 90+ year old mother on the same life path. He deals drugs, mows lawns, stabs tires and generally contributes more to society than Jim Cornette.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Puppy Doll posted:

...I just realized I forgot to change the sickos dialogue.

Yesss.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

instead of being cornpilled the term should be cornballed and touching this thread should yield the same physical reaction as touching a cornballer

The term is cornholed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

remember how i was bitching about danielson being put on the youtube preshow? guess who agrees!

Ouch, hope you can recover from this L.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

It was for a different reason though.

Said if you want to compete with Smackdown then you increase ratings for the tv show. He argued it would have a better rating if Danielson was on it, just bump the girls match. Also a youtube show won't steal smackdown ratings because if a person is still watching smackdown at that point they can just keep watching and do the youtube show later. if smackdown sucks and they decide to watch the youtube live instead they probably would have tuned out anyway.

Turns out Jim was wrong as always, shocker!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Anyone caught listening to Cornette should get one of those as an avatar.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

Pretty hosed that Jim implies people into the Joshi scene are some kind of pedo.

The man knows a lot of pedophiles.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

cornette doesn't like women in his sport. stubborn male bias. but everything he said about sable is still correct

That she drew more money in 1998 than he ever did over a calendar year?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

She was certainly paid well for her run through WWF, but idk if she was the draw. I always remembered her as kinda weird lookin esp compared to Sunny or Chyna.

She was big for ratings and even a PPV buyrate. The Playboy issue was huge too. WWE trying to recapture the Sable formula for 15 years was terrible for women in the company but for a time Sable was a very big star. There have been a lot of men with no talent for wrestling who had a short period of sustained success but Jim really, really hates Sable for obvious reasons.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whilst we know what Jim Cornette thinks about the in-ring and on TV stuff, (too many asians, not enough like it was in the 80s in half empty bingo halls), what are his thoughts on the recent wave of WWE sackings?

We will have to wait until a really weird youtube thumbnail pops up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I had to wait in the ER for three hours because some goober did some stunt falling off a scaffold on purpose.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

He was on the WCW booking committee from Summer 1989 through Spring 1990 or thereabouts. When Flair was head booker, he mainly focused on his own programs and left writing the TV to Cornette and Kevin Sullivan. He absolutely deserves credit for the quality of the TV at that time and the ratings turnaround after the disastrous George Scott booking run tanked them. (Most famously, the weekend with Flair-Pillman and Flair/Arn-Rock 'n' Roll Express headlining the evening TBS shows set new TBS wrestling viewership records and drew the highest ratings for those shows—since cable ratings use the network's universe as the denominator—since 1985.) Wrestle War '90 was also the most successful early WCW pay-per-view, IIRC. House shows were not doing well, but it's pre-Zane Bresloff WCW and with hindsight, it's hard to know how much of that was driven by the product as opposed to bad live event promotion. But yes, AEW probably averages more paid fans per show than that run of WCW did.

He was also on the WWF creative time for most of 1996-1997. First it was him, Vince McMahon, and Bruce Prichard, with Bruce eventually taking a detour to Talent Relations and Vince Russo joining the team in his place. He was writing TV for them as things started to turn around, so he deserves some credit there, too.

As SMW goes, a lot of salt needs to be taken with a lot of the attendance figures we have. For the big successful shows, they seem more or less accurate, but for spot shows and lesser-drawing Knoxville and Johnson City shows? They're all over the place and Brian Hildebrand was often padding the figures he sent to the Observer. I forget which one it is, but there's one Johnson City card from 1995 where the figure in the Observer was somewhat respectable, but if you watched the clips on TV, it was VERY obvious that the number was bullshit. I mean it was "we had to reconfigure the arena to make this look presentable on TV" bad.

OVW and ROH I shouldn't have to explain.

In summary? As a member of a team, he's had some success. As the head booker, he hasn't really had much on any kind of consistent basis. For shows that weren't greatly assisted by big, current WWF names, his biggest successes would be Night of Legends (~5,000 fans), a couple other Knoxville shows that drew 3,000-4,000-ish (like the "Bob Armstrong WILL send Jim Cornette out in an ambulance!" show), and some of the Bluegrass Brawl shows in Pikeville, Kentucky. Johnson City never hit an announced 2,000.

The Wrestlenomics data puts GAB 90 above Wrestlewar.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

In fairness he says Moxley doesn't actually owe anyone an apology and the promo was great as is. He seems to just think a more traditionally sincere and emotional promo would have been more "endearing." But as a fan of that kind of thing I think it misses the fact that Mox's "go gently caress yourself" energy is definitely what's working these days and plays as sincere as anything else.

If I were try to understand Bully Ray's mind I'd assume he just has a block for "heel heat" as a tool to make a crowd mad so Mox using the same kind of thing and being over as a face is a disconnect for him.

We don't have to be fair when someone says a guy who went to rehab owes the fans an apology for missing shows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Love a good Dave victory lap.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1492728600679759873

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nea posted:

I might have to check that out at some point. I get the impression Jeff Jarrett doesn't like, horrifically suck as a person or anything, he's just the ultimate carnie. Which, you know! Produces a lot of interesting stories. I had no idea he had a podcast.

He let TNA run as a boys club where sexual harassment and racial discrimination ran wild. He loving sucks as a person and I have a feeling his super honest podcast doesn't deal with that very much.

Also now he's palling around with a random state assemblyman who isn't just anti-vax, he's anti-HPV vaccine.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 14, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What did Jarrett specifically do to Daffney? I know about her injury and TNA being assholes to her.

While Jeff was mostly out of power when her injury and other lovely treatment happened, the people he put in place and helped defend like Terry Taylor were running talent relations and other parts of the company. The treatment she received was very similar to treatment women like Desire received when Jeff was still running the company. There were lots of other examples of executives in the company outright harassing women in the 2002-2006 period. And lots of lawsuits, with Terry Taylor's name coming up alot. Although some of those were for racial discrimination too. But women like Desire did not have good things to say about Jeff specifically on top of the lovely culture in the company.

Just remembered how Goldylocks described going to TNA management when she was being harassed:

quote:

"There's the sexual harassment that I endured in the early days of TNA...I went to management, let them know what was going on and saying 'What do you want me to do about it?" And they asked me to keep my mouth shut, don't rock the boat. Because rocking the boat back then, anytime, it's going to screw things up for everybody. It's going to cause attention, they're going to lose money they're going for...sponserships...etc. So they said 'Let us handle this, and please, just keep your mouth shut.' Okay, fine. I have friends there, I didn't want to blow their only shot."

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 14, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
No one had talked about Jim in a month so he decided to up the misogyny to get some attention.

https://twitter.com/WilliamRBR/status/1505947393111453697

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1glitch0 posted:

Why are they chickens

Because he's not racist.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

ranting about muslims went so well for you last time, Jim. maybe you can run off another co-host keep it up

Nah his current co-host is such a piece of poo poo that it won't matter.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

beggar posted:

For me the jim cornette experience is 100% visual

I haven't heard his voice in ages but I have seen his South Parkified face far too often.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

edogawa rando posted:

Is he suggesting Jungle Boy is gay or trans or whatever?

I am told he says he hits like a girl.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lamuella posted:

See, that actually sounds funny.

It sucked because no one is tougher.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Cornette probably eats nothing but chain restaurants so he would get along with Takeshita if he could stop being racist for 10 minutes.

Which he couldn't.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

"You know, as a matter of fact, none of the Asian talents -- Professor Tanaka, Mr. Fuji, Tojo Yamamoto -- anybody in the territory days were as stereotypical and racist and offensive to that particular ethnic group as the way all the companies have these girls acting these days. And can you imagine if they'd been doing the equivalent for the African American talent, or the Hispanic talent. When they had Cryme Tyme literally admitting they were stealing things from people on the street or when they had Eddie Guerrero "He Lies, He Cheats, He Steals", he still didn't talk like a simpleton with brain damage."

Corny's new deflection from accusations of racism every time he talks about a Japanese woman is this, I guess.

It's so funny that people pretend he's an accurate historian.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I assume that is the Young Bucks?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/moronpilled/status/1534239698603892736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001