Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

just in case you were thinking that Jim Cornette could not possibly make himself look bad while tearing into Joey Ryan

he confuses "women are now more comfortable speaking up about these things" with "these things never happened before", goes on about how Back In The Day the Consenting Adult Female Fans were lining up to gently caress The Boys so none of them ever did anything improper and they especially never had relations with underage girls, and today's wrestlers have to be sex pests because they're Girly Pussies who wrestle bad so no women want to gently caress them

*Coughs in Art Barr*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JYD sold out the Superdome with doofy headbutts on all fours and you know that because you were there. Come on, Jim.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What a gifted storyteller!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

he literally lives in his parents house that they've owned for over half a century on a country road on the outskirts of loving louisville

That reminds me I once saw a t-shirt that says 'I'm still living with with my parents but it's only temporary - until they die.' Glad Jimmy put it into action.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JUNGLE BOY posted:

https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1371075639873257479

"What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals..."

Is Cornette really like touting his chances in a physical altercation with a 300 pound trained wrestler when Cornette is a 60 year old man and looks increasingly like a statue sculpted of warm butter?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Who's the guy behind the 9 out of morbid curiosity?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lid posted:

The second SMW champion was named The Dirty White Boy

He was also named TL Hopper but I try not to hold that against Tony Anthony.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't Ian hold a fundraising card for a kayfabe injury once? (Which is not to say he's worse than Cornette because I still strongly lean 'not.')

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

Ian is much more of a surface carny, but whose carniness is lovable in a weird way. For example, he and Dave Prazak had a pretty ugly split years ago after Ian booked a maatch that was seemingly designed just to undermine Prazak, Jimmy Jacobs, and B.J. Whitmer's jobs in Ring of Honor. (Specifically, he put Jacobs and Whitmer, the ROH champs, together as a team for the first time on an IWA show solely so he could job them out.) Yet they ended up friendly again a few years ago and Prazak has done commentary for IWA shows on occasion since then. Even though Ian didn't always provide the safest environment or most reliable payoffs, he's also provided a pretty fantastic learning atmosphere that helped shape a lot of careers. Since he's also a lot more easygoing than Jim is, all of that results in him probably being a lot less hated by wrestlers right now, at least.

It is crazy the talent that got honed in IWA. Every early card I see from them read's like The Indies' Who's Who of the 00's. The women too, of course. Didn't Prazak start SHIMMER because he saw them come through IWA-MS and was like 'hey, there's enough women wrestlers to run a promotion?'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jim who only took part the classiest of angles like how I was reminded he was in a feud with Jimmy Valiant and Ronnie Garvin in drag.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If Jim weren't, you know, Jim it would probably be fun to have a look around his office. Like somebody showed a picture of Terry Funk's home office a while back on Twitter and I could have gotten lost just looking at the programs on the walls.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Noticed Cornette has a bunch of WWE documentary DVDs; do you think he watches them just so he can get upset?

Cornette does have a collector's mentality on top of everything else. He used to have an extremely large Silver Age comic collection that I don't know what happened to.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Critical posted:

he also wanted to dress them in gold jumpsuits iirc

Yeah. From Jericho's book they got a crude picture of the two of them in gold singles 'made of lamé or some similar material' and Jericho said "Yeah, it was going to be lamé " all right.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DarkstarIV posted:

But yeah, Cornette poo poo all over Asuka and her character work in that Rhea/Asuka review video as well. Claiming that the screaming is awful, the goofy faces are the worst, the facepaint is awful, the "vito scotty loving gilligan's island japanese soldier impression", and her just screaming gibberish. He also implied in previous rants that all joshi wrestlers are like Asuka and ham up their Japanese behavior.

"Goofy faces and screaming is awful!" Also: "The Road Warriors were one of the best tag teams ever!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

...wasn't the fire dance entrance done only once or twice, and even then, only using the fire dance troupe consisting of Joe's immediate family?

Yeah, and as far as I can recall Joe talked about being happy to be be able to do it with his family up on stage, at least at the time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mariooncrack posted:

I think Corny has used that lawyer in the past.

I imagine a similar scenario from The Office when Michael was bragging his lawyer had his face on bus stop benches.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hogan and DUSTY at that time. Just... no. No, thank you. I refuse. (Maybe Dusty in Dustin's corner if we have to.)

Also Dudleys and Warriors. Like at the time I liked the Dudleys but the Roadies were so past their sell-by date and I hate saying that being a big Road Warriors fan since I was in elementary school.

Show/Kane and the Steiners is also a match involving four people you could have.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Was Smoky Mountain traditionally considered to have good booking? I know they went the route of Continental and I'm sure many others and killed interest by not paying off stipulation matches and all which is probably my answer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It’s always funny to watch Cornette stick to the mentality that the way it was done in 1987 was the way it could only be done when people of his same era have more sense like Terry Funk or Ricky Gibson and do things like look on the bright side of the death of kayfabe or go out of their way to praise new talent.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gonzo McFee posted:

People think psychology is boring because boring wrestlers claim they're doing psychology.

Yeah. As long as the other guy could put up their hands like they wanted to hit him, Tracy Smothers could have a twenty minute match that would make the crowd lose their minds.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mulaney Power Move posted:

it's fine if you didn't know abot canseco and it doesn't make it wrong to laugh at his twitter in a vacuum. if you feel bad you can make it up by watching the first starrcade in its entirety :twisted:

The first time I saw it was certainly an experience for me. I had up 'til that point only seen Greg Valentine as this sort of bland midcard dude who once dyed his hair and tried to pretend to play guitar with the Honky Tonk Man and here he was trying to shoot murder Roddy Piper with a chain.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Maybe Jim could use this as an opportunity to - oh. Oh. Never mind."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yelling "Look at me, Jimmy! It's all for you!" while I dive off the cage onto the Spanish announce table.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It really shows how much things have changed when people used to think that the Dairy Queen story was a hilarious story of ownage when he first used to tell it, but now everyone just sees it as some loud misogynistic idiot screaming at a minimum wage employee.

Having worked at fast food as my first job I always saw it as that. :smug:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

coconono posted:

ok Cornette always alleges that Omega wrestled. I think I heard Omega tell the story once and keep forgetting the detail discrepancies.

If it helps it's the first time I've heard Omega didn't wrestle. Which is not to say I don't believe it, mind you, so I figure it just means that part gets left out because the shouty tennis racket man is doing his thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Thanks for reminding me how truly awful the Russo Era of WCW was, especially with the heavy use of insider terms on television, which was dumb considering a large segment of the audience didn't follow backstage news on the Internet.

I still wonder if Russo genuinely thought they'd pop the house with "What's the matter, Sid? LOST YOUR SCISSORS?" when there were maybe a dozen people at most in the crowd would might have gotten it and most of them didn't care.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Notoriously safe worker New Jack."

Oh, wow. That thread is going to turn Jack into a worker the level of like Nick Bockwinkel before it's through.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gumball Gumption posted:

At least to the senses but they're so confusing and weird. I don't know if I'm offended because I don't even know what they're supposed to actually portray. Is Corny supposed to be Steven Segal?

In practice if not in theory.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Double post and all but does Cornette know that one of the guys he puts on a giant pedestal is out here liking current wrestling?

https://twitter.com/RealRickyMorton/status/1419146723532935168

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edit: Nevermind. Better for the general bad takes thread.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn’t Cornette book Kevin Sullivan to bleed somebody at Smoky Mountain TV?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Out of morbid curiosity I checked in on the Twitter feed of the Cornpilled idiot who jumped the guardrail and he spends his time yelling about how he doesn't like either promotion (despite retweeting people talking up WWE), claiming he's working on something 'special' and hilariously says he could beat up Nick Gage despite himself being shown the door by an announcer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"WHO HAS TEN MAN TAG MATCHES IN THE OPENING MATCH?" Gee, Jim. That's not much more than six man tags which a certain company had a championship belt for.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

I don't know Jim, a company trying to sell a PPV by showcasing ten of their top talents?

What gets me, and it shouldn't because it's me talking about Jim Cornette in the Year of Our Lord 2021 and I know better, is complaining that the first match is now apparently when you should go get your soda and popcorn and not watching the match that sets the tone for the entire card. Pretty sure the Midnights were in more than their share of hot openers but I guess I should have gone to get my giant foam finger then instead of watching.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vandar posted:

He still wants AEW to fail. He just thinks they're better than all the nonsense WWE is doing right now.

Brian Last is coming around though. If you listen to any Corncob clips (please don't, it's not worth it), you can tell he likes AEW and is trying not to praise it too much in front of Jim.

How much does Last enable Cornette on the whole, I wonder?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jimmy's melting, he's melting, oh what a world.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Someone ask what it pays.

"We'll throw money at the ceiling and whatever sticks you can keep! HA HA! But seriously in exposure."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

I think he should be true to himself and keep being the hate filled bigot he always has been.

On the anniversary of 9/11 somebody dug up the speech Cornette gave in OVW surrounded by the wrestlers that was the typical 'bomb us we'll BOMB YOU HARDER' type thing that was going around but Jim's was a bit next level. The only one who had the decency to look embarrassed was a young Prototype John Cena.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rotinaj posted:

Cornette really hates certain wrestlers who flip or do comedy stuff, so if you just subtly start talking about how good and fun that stuff is, it’ll probably annoy your roommate

Please note that at one time, of course, Cornette and his tag team of the Midnight Express were known for being very funny precisely because they would stooge so well for faces. Also Bobby Eaton was an amazing high flyer. So.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cornettehead.