Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

if there's one benefit to living in the bay area, it's that apple maps actually works really well here for some mysterious reason. so odd.

yah its great here but it was so annoying going back to my rural midwestern state and having Apple Maps try to constantly route me down unpaved backroads instead of going two streets down for a normal road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

tbh the hardest goog product to dump has been maps. there's somehow no viable alternatives other than pulling out my phone and using apple maps

and YouTube I guess but that's kinda different

does apple maps still exist?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Ansible Adams posted:

yeah ddg/bing maps is dogshit

ddg uses apple maps i think

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Soricidus posted:

why is google so bad at punishing blatant seo?

in this post I will reveal why google is bad at punishing blatant seo

we’ve all been there. you search for a thing on google and all the hits seem to be blatant seo sites that waffle on endlessly about your search keywords. but what not many people know is that this is a result of google being bad at punishing blatant seo. why is that? the reason may surprise you

first let’s answer the most fundamental question: what is search?

thanks i hate it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

fart simpson posted:

it probably works better outside china

it does not

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
how much of search degradation could also be attributed to content being locked behind a bunch of garbage bullshit javascript?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

nah

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

does apple maps still exist?

on iPhone yes on web it doesn't seem to

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and yeah apple maps seems basically unusable outside of the US but it very much suits my needs. Thankfully

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how much of search degradation could also be attributed to content being locked behind a bunch of garbage bullshit javascript?

i think the crawler is basically a full browser these days

i think the arms race between google/seo is probably the main thing.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Bloody posted:

and yeah apple maps seems basically unusable outside of the US but it very much suits my needs. Thankfully

i have found apple maps really nice here in paris because google can not for the love of god design their maps so that i see the street names clearly. once you realise that google's map rendering design is geared towards showing you sponsored locations and whatever, it's impossible to unsee how little useful information there is

another alternative is maps.me - the downside (or upside) is that you need to download the full map for the region you are in, but then it stays in your phone and works offline as well. you don't get updated public transport schedules but at least in tokyo the app told you what trains you needed to take to get to your destination
also some forest trails were shown way better than on google maps

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i switched to apple maps after goog navigation told me to "turn right at the Starbucks"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like can you even just try to pretend you're not selling my location to everyone? thanks

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotor posted:

like can you even just try

fundamentally antithetical to the google culture

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

and what are you going to use? google is literally 90%+ of the search market. bing yandex baidu and yahoo are all worse in many ways. they can be good if what you are searching for was removed from google for copyright or trademark reasons. And there are some overzealous takedowns that remove a huge amount of unrelated content if a brand name or acronym is even mentioned on a page.

if your search is terrible it is probably because you are signed in and things are over optimized based on your history. either lock down your privacy settings and delete your search history or sign out and use safari or FF because chrome still has cookies you can't delete. and putting individual terms in quotes is neccesary with a lot of things but that is with all search engines these days

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

google maps isn't quite as good as maybe 5-6 years ago or thereabouts, but still better than the competition. but i know that someday they'll drop the hammer and completely screw it up somehow

bing maps is good for their birdseye view (photos taken from low flying airplanes), something which google maps used to have but then ditched in favor of their gloopy dogshit looking 3D crap (though sometimes I've seen embedded gmaps things that still have it, old api version or some poo poo?)

and lately i've found bing maps has a lot of street view photos on little side streets google hasn't covered. thanks microsoft for tossing a bunch of money in a furnace, i guess?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

mediaphage posted:

lol all you want but they’ve dumped a poo poo load of cash into improving it. i use it as much as possible these days and rarely have an issue with it. i don’t even have it on my phone. this is a relatively populated area tho.

the mac application is good too but hard to break the muscle memory of browsering over to google

it sent me through a back route that took three hours because it thought there would be traffic delays in a town. but traffic congestion clears up pretty fast in rural nz towns...

Apple maps. ftw.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

it sent me through a back route that took three hours because it thought there would be traffic delays in a town. but traffic congestion clears up pretty fast in rural nz towns...

Apple maps. ftw.

yes good thing google maps has never sent anyone down a wrong path and should be judged from that forevermore

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lampey posted:

sign out

this is the best advice in the thread so far

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mediaphage posted:

gotta assume baidu has a map app?

yeah baidu maps works well

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i kinda think a map app in china that uses english or whatever is doomed to fail. outside of a few tourist places, the translation of place names is extremely inconsistent, non standardized, and no local will know where you're talking about

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

transliteration would be ok, but completely different names helps absolutely no one.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lampey posted:

and what are you going to use? google is literally 90%+ of the search market. bing yandex baidu and yahoo are all worse in many ways. they can be good if what you are searching for was removed from google for copyright or trademark reasons. And there are some overzealous takedowns that remove a huge amount of unrelated content if a brand name or acronym is even mentioned on a page.

if your search is terrible it is probably because you are signed in and things are over optimized based on your history. either lock down your privacy settings and delete your search history or sign out and use safari or FF because chrome still has cookies you can't delete. and putting individual terms in quotes is neccesary with a lot of things but that is with all search engines these days

i use duckduckgo and it is perfectly fine

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
wish you’d duckduckgo back to gbs

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

youtube is inescapable because the few creators i am willing to go there for do not post their videos to other places

gmaps is inescapable because there is no viable browser alternative somehow

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
wasn’t bing maps going for that at one time?

fake edit: map quest.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

holy poo poo was google maps a revelation after dealing with garbage like mapquest

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SO DEMANDING posted:

holy poo poo was google maps a revelation after dealing with garbage like mapquest

full page load every time you clicked the arrow to move the map lol

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

rotor posted:

this is the best advice in the thread so far

unironically there is a huge difference using youtube or google search or google maps logged in and logged out in a non chrome browser

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
last april google finally ended support for the version of google earth that works with microstation - they dropped it hard enough that it can't contact their servers anymore

so now we can't use it to import georeferenced aerial photography into engineering plans, that's kind of a big deal lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i learned just yesterday that you can now pull esri services directly into autocad (apparently they used to hate each other). does microststion have anything like that?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

SO DEMANDING posted:

it used to be so sick

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

i learned just yesterday that you can now pull esri services directly into autocad (apparently they used to hate each other). does microststion have anything like that?

yeah but you've gotta pay them money

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah but you've gotta pay them money

oh, you don’t want to do the super jankity thing whereby you make a new burner email every 30 days so that you can just keep making new free trial accounts?! wow fail.

e: oh, looks like it’s only 21 days now. dang.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 13, 2021

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i once paid money for google earth the app you downloaded so that i could zoom around better than the webpage version

it was that cool to me once upon a time

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it blew my loving mind when I first saw it in 2007. i still love it. :3:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yes I too remember 2007

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

an extremely cool feature of google earth was the ability to pull a GPS track off a Garmin device and import it straight in so you could see your little hike on the terrain. Google's abandonment of their sort of maximalist approach to design has been really sad, every service you can watch good useful features just drop away for seemingly no reason

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

MrMoo posted:

transliteration would be ok, but completely different names helps absolutely no one.

they don’t just transliterate though, everyone seems to translate random words and transliterate everything else. like my old office building wrote its address in english as High Tech Park Nan 7th Road, where Nan means South

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

President Beep posted:

it blew my loving mind when I first saw it in 2007. i still love it. :3:

yeah

i used to spend ages on it and do things like plan mtb trails or really dig down into towns or places i’d seen in a documentary or which had interesting history or that a novel was set in for eg. it really seemed like a miracle

that was a bit earlier though, like 2002/3. at that point i thought google was a cool bro that were like ryan phillipe in antitrust or something instead of a broke brained panopticon