Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the most annoying verbatim being purposefully broken thing i've run across is if you include "positive" or "negative" in the query it'll swap in "yes" or "no" instead

the term replacement drives me batty. an annoying one for me is that sometimes it switches median for average and vice versa. i understand most people don't care but that one in particular really bugs me.

i'm also sort of surprised at how much they've just let pinterest take their image results. i hate pinterest and find it clunky to use, mostly because of the obfuscation of sources that goes on; like it's fine to use as a visual bookmarking site or whatever but it's really hard to just click through to poo poo sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Share Bear posted:

i've been using ddg but it can suck so bad sometimes

the nice thing about ddg is that you can easily use a deidentified (in part) google if need be without changing anything just by starting your query with !g

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i was literally thinking of that site when i read this thread earlier

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

isn’t ddg just rebadged bing!?

sort of? better privacy. and they incorporate instant answers like google does as well as work with other kbs, i think? anyway if they are useable at all they're worth supporting for the sole reason of not being google tbqh imo

Head Bee Guy posted:

what are the good websites then? so i can save them to return to later.

tbh i started using rss again

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

as mentioned it’s because their metric of user on site, user clicking ad, etc, hasn’t gone down. besides what are you going to use, something else (that is an example google thought not my own tyvm)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol all you want but they’ve dumped a poo poo load of cash into improving it. i use it as much as possible these days and rarely have an issue with it. i don’t even have it on my phone. this is a relatively populated area tho.

the mac application is good too but hard to break the muscle memory of browsering over to google

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

i just searched for the exact name, in chinese, of a local japanese restaurant in my neighborhood. apple maps helpfully zoomed me over to a mountain with a different name that’s a homonym of the restaurant i searched, but very clearly not the same name or chinese characters. the mountain is 150km away and in a different city, so it updated my search area to this new city until i manually pulled it back to my location

i freely admit my position is biased since i only have to search for english and french i guess?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

carry on then posted:

are there any china-based map services in wide use? i'd be surprised if it'd be too difficult to do better maps of china than some bay-area westerners

gotta assume baidu has a map app?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nah

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

it sent me through a back route that took three hours because it thought there would be traffic delays in a town. but traffic congestion clears up pretty fast in rural nz towns...

Apple maps. ftw.

yes good thing google maps has never sent anyone down a wrong path and should be judged from that forevermore

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i still get a kick out of the google earth vr app where you get to fly

also i think it’s pretty funny how google maps basically destroyed the overpriced rural service of “here’s a picture of your house taken from a plane or helicopter”

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

whenever i think of those vanity pictures it’s always a picture of someone’s boring rear end ranch house sitting on a quarter acre that some farmer carved out of their cornfield

that’s maybe accurate. but we’d get ads mailed to us every year and i lived in the hills

our neighbour a half mile up the road had one and was very proud of it lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

vodkat posted:

is there any stupid open source project where I can build my own search engine? one that I just add a list of sites I like or a blog I once read or cool YouTube channels too and it will periodically crawl them and I can search for stuff I vaguely remember without any seo / nazi bullshit showing up?

this is called rss

but there are plenty of tutorials on writing your own web crawlers too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i thought they were a brand of sucker until i googled and realized that they're those dolls that all look identical and nerds love to plaster their desks with

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

vodkat posted:

not really tho as rss isn’t going to capture some blog post from 5 years ago and I can already write a web crawler. kinda want an off the shelf type deal that runs a local host webpage with easy functionality.

some places will have rss feeds going back to the beginning, and it's a good thing to have going forward but i get your point. the last time i looked into this there really isn't anything that's good without a fair bit of effort for you to put into it.

there's searx, which does meta stuff: https://github.com/searx/searx

and yacy, which might be more what you want. it's probably more useful in its p2p/distributed modes but i assume that's something you can configure optionally: https://yacy.net

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sweevo posted:

beanie babies v2

in the beforetimes i walked to the grocery store one day and saw a minivan with like 30 beanie babies stuffed up in the crevices of the windshield

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

all dusty and sun faded and whatnot?

oooh, bonus points for nicotine stains.

tbh they all looked new???

i think the kind of person who still has those probably has a collection of hundreds kept in rubbermaid boxes with moisture absorbers and rotates them out seasonally

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

in 2020 2/3 of all google searches resulted in no clicks on results:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

i think this is more because goog has been moving more and more content into the search results page itself, not because search gives bad results.

i think it's a combination of things, but i wasn't necessarily suggesting one thing or the other with it. i do think an issue it shows is that google is basically profiting off of the work of content producers who often won't get click through traffic as a result

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

and then add AMP to the mix too and even the organic ctr is more and more likely owned by google too

uggghvfucking amp

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DaTroof posted:

you also gotta take into account the millions of users who wind up in a google search because they fat-fingered a url in the address bar

frankly idve thought that offset somewhat by all the people who just google and click instead of typing in a url

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

I will say that modern Google search is a font of unintentional comedy when you search for places or establishments.

The q/a sections always own.

the q and a sections on amazon are equally ridiculous. amazon will just send an email out to everyone who buys an item if someone asks a question about it leading to all sorts of responses (which may just be email relies that auto post), some of which are just people demanding to know why they’re being asked

relatedly i’ve been buying all my peanut butter on amazon lately. i only buy the natural kind with salt because both things make it taste way better. people are equal parts terrified and enraged to get it and find a layer of oil on top. someone was mystified as to how their peanut butter had “melted” even though it shipped in the winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

google has decided for me that “highest” is a synonym for “tallest”, so when I search for “tallest nobel prize winner”, I get results for the countries with the most winners per capita

also the “best” nobel winners, because that’s totally the same thing, right?

i find this infuriating. like i know what i am searching for stop deciding it for me especially when your synonyms are just flat out wrong (i’ve mentioned this before but to this day the one that really grinds my gears is equating median and mean).

what’s worse is that sometimes they ignore the quotes