Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

I almost posted this in the tech remembrances thread, but I think a further discussion could be had about this.
I feel like there was a time when if you searched for something slightly obscure on google, you would actually find a blog or paper talking about it. Now it just returns the nearest point in machine learning space that is kind of sort of related to your query. It will even change your search terms to return pages with high page rank!
A few possibilities:
- They had to do this to keep up with spam and the changing internet
- They had to do this to serve a growing internet base that is a little less tech savvy
- They broke it on purpose on the request of the CIA or other nefarious parties
- The algorithm is the same as ever and the content of the internet has changed
- The algorithm is the same as ever, the content is the same, and I'm only noticing my own declining cognitive function

Thoughts? Has this really happened or am I imagining it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

Google seems to rely on using your key words as they relate to trending searches and favoured (paid or expected based on history or hits) results. Key words as search terms no longer seem to exist objectively.

The old web stuff that up until even 3 years ago was easily traversed through google is gone. We're all dinosaurs here so I guess we notice it more than most.

Like others have said, its now much easier to go to specific domains to use internal searches (even including Google/Alphabet owed stuff) to find stuff rather than rely on the goog.

Its a popular search engine with a market monopoly. Its no longer designed for data retrieval, just generating hits.
This seems true

Truman Peyote posted:

the machine learning part is the most noticeable way it's gotten worse for me. it never used to arbitrarily decide that actually I'm searching for this different, more general thing
Agreed

my stepdads beer posted:

every other search engine is far worse though
DEFINITELY agreed

I tend to agree with the folks who think that it has changed to favor 'high value' pages that generate more ad revenue, although I didn't think of that when I posted the op

Winty fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 13, 2021

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

double post oops

Winty fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 13, 2021